Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical problems in my 1995 Bronco

Old 02-11-2002, 12:40 PM
marriedguy1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had lots of intermittent problems with the rear window and finally found it to be the dash switch was bad. This caused all kinds of weird things to happen. I also replaced the power window and power lock switches in both doors. This also fixed alot of intermittent troubles. My Bronco is a 1994 with 175,000 miles on it so all of these items had gotten a lot of work during the years. If you want to try something cheap go to the junk yard and if you cannot find the window and door lock switches in a Bronco or F-150 the same switches are also in a Taurus. For some reason I found lots of Taurus-es at the junk yard. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2002, 04:02 PM
michaelwampler
Freshman User

Thanks guys for the advice. I print your suggestions and review them as I work on my Bronco. I talked to the service department of my Ford dealer today about the remote for the door locks. I asked them how I can tell if I have the remote option. They said that if I put my key in the igntion and turn the key off and on (to the position just before it starts)at least 8 times quickly, on the 8th time and thereafter my door lock buttons should move up and down. I tried it in my truck and nothing happened. Maybe I don't have the remote option. Could someone with the remote option try this and tell me if it works on his truck.

Also, a locksmith selling remotes for $35 on ebay sent me a private email saying:

"Mike, on the Bronco it is just about impossible to tell (if you have the remote option). I don't know how technical you are, but.... There is a programming connector located at the base of the steering column. You need to momentarily jump the pins in the programming connector. If all of the doors will lock then unlock, then you probably have factory remote keyless. You won't know for sure until you have the actual remote."

Do you see any danger in trying this?

Thanks. Michael Wampler

Old 02-11-2002, 05:09 PM
michaelwampler
Freshman User

I sent a copy of my last post to the ebay locksmith (Ben, joefriday2(No Email Addresses In Posts!)). He responded that this Ford method of turning the ignition key 8 times to check for the lock remote feature doesn't work on Broncos. The Ford dealer also told me that the door locks on cars with lock remotes often don't work because they're not used. Mike

Old 02-11-2002, 05:18 PM
adelyser
Elder User

It's true, you have to jump the pins in the connector at the base of the steering column. The ignition trick is only for the newer vehicles ('97 and up). To have this connector and the remote feature, you must have the remote module installed. My Bronco does not have the remote module, but instead a dealer installed alarm system. A whole different scenario.

Old 02-11-2002, 07:01 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget about the remote! You are wasting your time. I only mentioned it because I did not understand your question. Your door lock problem is not even an electrical problem. It is simply in the linkage from the key cylinder to the lock/unlock mechanism.

Old 02-11-2002, 10:12 PM
michaelwampler
Freshman User

I understood your earlier advice JBronco. I just would like a remote for the locks if my Bronco has this option. The Ford dealer confirmed your advice - that my lock problem is either with the cylinders or linkage. I've replaced several missing parts for this truck since I bought it this month, and thought the remote would be nice to have. Your post just reminded me to look into it. Thanks. Michael Wampler

Old 02-12-2002, 07:26 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool cool..welcome to the world of Broncos. My ultimate goal is having everything work on the truck at the same time. I'm down to one blown speaker (knocking on wood now).

Old 02-14-2002, 02:25 PM
michaelwampler
Freshman User

Justy an update on my repairs. Here's how I described my lock problems in my original post: "The door locks sometimes work with the key, sometimes they don't. The interior door lock switches work fine." Problem turned out to be real simple - it was a bad key. I bought the truck with only one ignition key, and it worked in the ignition but not the door locks. I took the key to my Ford dealer and they made copies for me, but never commented on the condition of the key. The Ford copies only worked my ignition. I took the truck today to my locksmith, and he said my key was too worn to copy or work the door locks. He popped the door lock, keyed a new key, and it works fine in both door locks and the ignition. $20 fix. He also made a key for me for the tailgate from the glovebox cylinder for $20. Michael