Sponsored by:

Rebuilding auto locking hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 AM
scurbiedog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding auto locking hubs?

I know that most here like the manual hubs but I have the auto hubs and don't have a couple of hundred to change them. I have done a search and did'nt find what I was looking for so I need some help. I need to replace my rotors and was thinking I should rebuild the hubs while I'm in there. Last year or so I remember post where a guy put pictures of him rebuilding his auto hubs.Does anyone else remember that post? Or can anyone tell me the step by step and tell me the name of the tools I need to get so I can ask for the correct ones? Also my passenger side front drive shaft is loose. I can grab the shaft at the back side of the wheel and move it. Is there a bearing in there I need to replace to stop that? I guess I don't have to tell you I've never worked on the 4x4 components before. Done plenty of rotors and bearings just not locking hubs and front drive shafts.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 AM
scurbiedog
Senior User
Alomst forgot, I seem to remember reading another post about the correct way to put the spindle back on after replacing a bearing for the 4x4 and a way to tighten it down correctly and there was a tool for that,does anyone know its name? I know it seems like I'm asking alot but I've never done this before and want to make sure I get it right.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
warn premium hubs are $80-$90 bucks. I believe they will just bolt on in place of your auto hubs. have you contacted broncograveyard?

Old 04-05-2007, 06:13 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Well I never had a set that worked right.Including 2 new 90's trucks . Also the set that previous owner put on that now only have 16000 miles. They left me down 2 times . Not bad for the $400.00 + he spent at Ford for the new ones installed. They made it 10 months. I swapped them for manuals.
The reason there have been no posts to be found is every one replaces them. There is not much to them . I remember a post that said you can/could get rebuild kit. And to clean the in mystery oil or tranny fluid.
If they work just clean them up and put back on. Good luck

Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 PM
scurbiedog
Senior User
Well, with doing the rotors, bearings, brake pads and all I dont think I'll have the 80-90 bucks for new hubs. I was hoping to find a rebuild kit for the hubs but so far cant find one. I'll try the Graveyard but I still could use a step by step if anyone would post one and the names of the tools for the hubs and I think its called a spindle bearing. Also the correct way to tighten the spindel back, I seem to remember a post where a guy didnt do it right and he burnt up his new bearings. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:42 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
If you overtighten the bearings you'll burn them up, but there's no way to put the spindle on wrong, unless you forget to put the bolts back in. You also don't have any reason to take the spindle off based on the work you say you're doing.

The axle sliding back and forth is 100% normal. I don't even know if spindle bearings (not wheel bearings) can go bad.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Clean them and reinstall till find parts or Buy different hubs . If they work for you keep them

Old 04-06-2007, 12:39 PM
jorock
New User
Scrubiedog,

It pointless asking about auto locking hubs on these sites. Every body wants to put in there two cent about changeing to manul hubs. They can't get it in to there heads that not every body in the world wants manul hubs.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:02 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Yep, we're all stupid that way.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:28 PM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jorock
Scrubiedog,

It pointless asking about auto locking hubs on these sites. Every body wants to put in there two cent about changeing to manul hubs. They can't get it in to there heads that not every body in the world wants manul hubs.
I respect and agree Can even with you . If they work for you fine . I have then on my truck . I just tow chain thats all.

I'm sorry we may step on toes .But from all the posts of these things failing is expierence not our being mule headed . If you have to put money in something let it be something that works. That is why we say manual

Last edited by lostin90s; 04-06-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:38 PM
scurbiedog
Senior User
OK I know everyone loves manuel hubs but I think for now I'll follow lostin90s quote and just clean them but I could would like to know if there are any certain tools that I'll need to get and the name also can anyone tell me how to remove the hubs to be able to remove the rotors and should I clean the hubs or just remove and replace since I dont know anything about them. If I should clean can anyone tell the best way to do so. I have a haines book but its only good for hitting the dog when he pees on the floor. "Replacement is the reverse of removal" my butt!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:48 PM
helirich
Posting Guru
I love auto hubs. The ones I had on my old Scout were great! The auto hubs on Fords are junk! Sorry, Just believe in calling a spade a spade. The only people that like the Ford hubs dont use them. To answer your question, they arnt that difficult to figure out. Just lay a paper towel out and take the parts off in order. I didnt have any special tools.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:54 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are several writeups on the hub change on fullsizebronco -- those have everything you need to know about the removal of auto hubs. And yes, "Replacement is the reverse of removal" is correct. IMHO, the hardest part may be to remove that !@#$%^&* inner lock-ring if you have a 3 bolt auto. Lastly, Ford used to have a rebuild kit, so try a nearby stealership. Be forewarned, it may not be cheap.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM
David Thurman
New User
scurbie dog, Im new to this but my 2000 f250 w/ 362000 miles wont do 4x4 after i had the bearings replaced.. did you ever find a diagram and cleaning instructions for auto locking hub rebuild? when people talk about cleaning and replacing_are they talking about taking the hub apart? I think Im where you were 3 years ago. Also anybody know where the vacuum comes into the hub to operate the lock> thanks for the help....

Old 02-15-2010, 11:27 PM
mprice
Elder User
Originally Posted by David Thurman
scurbie dog, Im new to this but my 2000 f250 w/ 362000 miles wont do 4x4 after i had the bearings replaced.. did you ever find a diagram and cleaning instructions for auto locking hub rebuild? when people talk about cleaning and replacing_are they talking about taking the hub apart? I think Im where you were 3 years ago. Also anybody know where the vacuum comes into the hub to operate the lock> thanks for the help....
you should try the forum for the truck you have - our hubs aren't vac operated

Quick Reply: Rebuilding auto locking hubs?