Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Best tire for gravel roads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:21 PM
balingwire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best tire for gravel roads?

Which tire will last the longest on gravel roads? I am looking at new tires for our work truck. Nearly half of the driving in it is on gravel, and the tires just chip to pieces.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 PM
SoArkSI
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know what kind of truck you have, but i would suggest some 8 or 10 ply tires

Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
As a 6 yr traveler of gravel roads I would suggest steel wheels like the Menonite use.

:-)

What I have noticed is that the less lug type tread you have on the tire, the less the chipping. It seems that the lugs tear much more easily. That's why the higher ply tires seem to survive longer, more street, less grippers.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This premium traction radial is made for heavy duty use on pickups and vans. Its heavy casing and steel belts make it a favorite of our commercial use customers.

FEATURES:
• Heavy Duty Belt Construction
• Mud and Snow Rated
• Cut Resistant Compound
• Pinned for Studs

BENEFITS:
• Specifically Designed to Handle Harsh Applications
• Year Around Traction
• Designed to Perform on Rock and Gravel
http://www.lesschwab.com/tires/light_truck/m55_traction.asp

Last edited by aurgathor; 04-04-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The best tires I've ever used are my BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's. My next set I'll probably have siped, even though they already have a "natural" siping built in. For an all around tire they're great.

I've had mine on the truck for better than 5 years and still have a couple years left, at least. I'll probably get a new set before that, just cuz I love a wee bit deeper tread, for when and if I get into mud.

When I first got these tires, that hunting season I took my best friend hunting and on a narrow mountain road, had to turn around because of a wash out. Backed mah baby up the bank, nearly standing it on it's nose and my buddy using the dash to keep from falling forward. Didn't spin a tire the whole turn around.

I've driven plenty of gravel roads with a lot of different types of tire and when you get down to less than a half inch of tread ( or there abouts ) most any really sharp rock will puncture and flatten. So far, these tires have held up to a lot of mixed miles, better than any other I've ever used.

As for Les Schwab tires... my buddy uses them .... and I've never seen more sidewall breakdowns on any tire than the ones he uses...and they ain't a cheap tire. And wear out fast! Bleah on Les Schwab and any of his tires. BTW --- that one linked to is the one he uses. I wouldn't put one on my worst enemie's Chevy.