2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knocking after oil change again

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:52 PM
4DOORSR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
Since you are such a rocket scientist suppose you tell me how you fill and oil filter that lays on it's sidethen get it in a place barely big enough for your hand without loosing any?????
Thus the reason some of us are mechanics and some of us are not...

Old 04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
You are not correct sir do some more research!!
they were talking about the plugs blowing out. not the carbon build up. no one is disputing that this carbon build up is a problem right now. What was discussed, was that the "old" 5.4 had a nasty habit of blowing out plugs. The new 5.4 3V does not have this problem.

Since you are such a rocket scientist suppose you tell me how you fill and oil filter that lays on it's sidethen get it in a place barely big enough for your hand without loosing any?????
!!
I'm 6'3", 270lb and have ginormous hands. I have no problems getting to that filter. Nor have I ever spilled oil on my truck. I just fill the filter 1/2 full, and get it screwed into place quickly.

your best bet to help eliminate the noise is:

1. get engine to operating temp
2. drain oil ASAP
3. remove filter, fill new filter 1/2 way and install
4. replace drain plug and fill motor with remaining 6 1/2 quarts oil
5. prime motor if that is your thing (I personally don't)
6. start motor and let idle for a minute or so.
7. if noise persists, go to dealer and kiss some serious @ss. if your lucky they'll do something. if this noise is only exhibited during the first startup after an oil change, they'll probably tell you to pack sand.

for those who have had chevy's, that blue puff is normal. for some reason their Engineers designed a 1/2 quart oil consumption into their engines. I can't think of any good reason for this, but almost every 5.3 and 5.7 V-8 they make does this. haven't heard if the 6.0 does it. you see, Ford isn't the only one with weirdness

Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tylus
they were talking about the plugs blowing out. not the carbon build up. no one is disputing that this carbon build up is a problem right now. What was discussed, was that the "old" 5.4 had a nasty habit of blowing out plugs. The new 5.4 3V does not have this problem.

thought so....

Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With 473K trouble free miles with a pre-oiler installed old school FE designed 414 that has silent cold or oil changed starts I believe what they call new isn't necessarily good or better.
For years i've always wondered who buys this new plastic crap?
Sorry stuck with steel not plastic.
Might as well get into the flame wars.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
nascar6dude
Senior User
Don't know what all the noise is about.... been changing oil for over 30 years, that's just normal dry start-up clatter. Takes a couple of seconds for the oil to pump up to the upper cylinders, no big deal. Just half-fill your filter before installing and let engine idle upon starting. Watch your oil pressure gauge, it'll pop right up.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
Never understood why manufacturers couldnt mount an oil filter right side up so you could fill it with oil before crankup. I have a remote filter setup on my '72, and this works fine. Why wait for the oil pump to fill the filter before getting it up to the lifters.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by nascar6dude
Don't know what all the noise is about.... been changing oil for over 30 years, that's just normal dry start-up clatter. Takes a couple of seconds for the oil to pump up to the upper cylinders, no big deal. Just half-fill your filter before installing and let engine idle upon starting. Watch your oil pressure gauge, it'll pop right up.
it's because of his original post....I've heard dry start up clatter on some vehicles, but he states "violent engine knocking sound for about 2 or 3 seconds"

THAT is NOT start up clatter, unless he's just spazzing out.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rsylvstr
it's because of his original post....I've heard dry start up clatter on some vehicles, but he states "violent engine knocking sound for about 2 or 3 seconds"

thats what i'm starting to think....

Old 04-04-2007, 09:20 PM
nascar6dude
Senior User

Well, he COULD have a problem, but without actually hearing it I couldn't tell for sure. The TSB is for clatter on cold start-ups, he states it only does it after an oil change, and quiets down after 2-3 seconds, which leads me to believe it's only dry start-up clatter. As for being " violent", well, everybody's got their own definition of what that is. If it really bothers him, it wouldn't hurt to bring it in, but how would they duplicate the noise without soaking him for an oil change?

Old 04-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Beefford
Senior User

Start up clatter? I hope that is not a technical term. When the wife comes out to the garage because she hears the engine knocking from the kitchen I would not consider that clatter or me "spazzing out." I too have been changing oil in vehicles for years and have never heard or had this issue.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:12 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You said 2 or 3 seconds that is normal. If it persists for an extended period of time then you have a problem. Since it's 2 to 3 seconds, forget about it!

Beeford, your engine is totally different than the ones you had in the past. You must not be reading all the posts. The oiling system on this is a little different than your old non OH cam engines. The 5.4 3v has OH cams with variable valve timing.
You have two things working against you, one a dry oil filter, two the oil drained back after the oil filter removal.
You came here looking for answers we provided you with them. If you consider this all nonsense then go to your dealer and get his view. Lets just put an end to this.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:44 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KevinM
You said 2 or 3 seconds that is normal. If it persists for an extended period of time then you have a problem. Since it's 2 to 3 seconds, forget about it!

Beeford, your engine is totally different than the ones you had in the past. You must not be reading all the posts. The oiling system on this is a little different than your old non OH cam engines. The 5.4 3v has OH cams with variable valve timing.
You have two things working against you, one a dry oil filter, two the oil drained back after the oil filter removal.
You came here looking for answers we provided you with them. If you consider this all nonsense then go to your dealer and get his view. Lets just put an end to this.
i must agree....take it to the dealer and let them look at it....then you'll know

Old 04-05-2007, 06:28 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Originally Posted by baitmaster
Never understood why manufacturers couldnt mount an oil filter right side up so you could fill it with oil before crankup. I have a remote filter setup on my '72, and this works fine. Why wait for the oil pump to fill the filter before getting it up to the lifters.
GM small block is still that way filter straight up and down can fill completely full??

Old 04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DOORSR
Thus the reason some of us are mechanics and some of us are not...
Originally Posted by TYLUS
I'm 6'3", 270lb and have ginormous hands. I have no problems getting to that filter. Nor have I ever spilled oil on my truck. I just fill the filter 1/2 full, and get it screwed into place quickly.
No need for for me to answer your question. Other have done that for me.

Thanks to both 4DOORSR and TYLUS.

Last edited by wildcard30; 04-05-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by nascar6dude
Well, he COULD have a problem, but without actually hearing it I couldn't tell for sure. The TSB is for clatter on cold start-ups, he states it only does it after an oil change, and quiets down after 2-3 seconds, which leads me to believe it's only dry start-up clatter. As for being " violent", well, everybody's got their own definition of what that is. If it really bothers him, it wouldn't hurt to bring it in, but how would they duplicate the noise without soaking him for an oil change?
that's all I'm saying...VIOLENT? i've never met anyone that would classify the cold startup clatter as VIOLENT...that's why i'm wondering....wish we could all hear it....

could be something getting ready to go and the reason it happens after an oil change is not enough oil (duh) ...wonder what it sounds like when he revs it? WOT? etc.

Quick Reply: knocking after oil change again