2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knocking after oil change again

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 AM
FXForistell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I read your post. I didn't hear anything, clicking, knocking, clunking, popping, squeaking, rattling, or otherwise. It started and sounded just like it did before the change. Just my experience.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:04 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FXForistell
Yes I read your post. I didn't hear anything, clicking, knocking, clunking, popping, squeaking, rattling, or otherwise. It started and sounded just like it did before the change. Just my experience.
i agree....

Old 04-04-2007, 11:04 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Reread the last couple of sentances, you have an 06" As I said the earlier 04 and 05 utilized different CAM Phasers. What don't you guys understand!

Last edited by KevinM; 04-04-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Originally Posted by gui88ford
correction....it was the old 5.4/4.6....pre 04 and i think some of the 04's also.....but the heritage ones....

caused by not enough threads....
You are not correct sir do some more research!!

Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
FXForistell
Senior User
OK, light dawns on marble head. I'm out of this, I see now.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:14 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
You are not correct sir do some more research!!
well, why don't you save me the time and just enlighten us....

Old 04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
last5oh_302
Laughing Gas
Received 322 Likes on 186 Posts
My 05 has a late build date of June 05, so maybe I'm a lucky one, but if I heard any major knocking/ticking (other than normal expected tick), I'd have it in to the dealer, and quick. I wouldn't accept this because it's not normal, especially since the later models don't do it. They obviously found a fix, and I'd want it.
I'm also only going by what these sounds are described as without hearing them myself.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
well, why don't you save me the time and just enlighten us....
OK short version 04 5.4 3V to present MY there are no significant head changes or plug changes except a heat range change in plugs with a little more nickel plating on the ground electrode to help with carbon build up don't take my work for it check with any ford tech the honest ones will tell it like it is!!! Ford has a TSB out for changing these plugs so you read between the lines.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
My 05 has a late build date of June 05, so maybe I'm a lucky one, but if I heard any major knocking/ticking (other than normal expected tick), I'd have it in to the dealer, and quick. I wouldn't accept this because it's not normal, especially since the later models don't do it. They obviously found a fix, and I'd want it.
I'm also only going by what these sounds are described as without hearing them myself.
yeah, exactly....if their was a probem and now it's gone on the newer ones how can anyone say it's normal then.....common sence would tell me that they changed something.....

Old 04-04-2007, 11:53 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
There are two distinct PN's for CAM phasers. Think what you want, but your lack of knowledge on the subject is prevelent!
As I said it's not a problem. You guys are making it out to be a problem.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-04-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Beefford
Senior User
Originally Posted by KevinM
Hate to tell ya, but it is normal. The 3v 5.4 is a totally redesigned 5.4 than previous 5.4's. You have variable valve timing through a Cam Phaser. The 3v utilizes oil from the filter to go to the top end. Once you remove the filter the top end oil drains out through the filter adapter. This is the reason a good filter with an anti-drianback valve is needed in this application. The Cam Phaser requires oil to operate.
To help avoid the noise issue, fill the new filter half way, the filter media will absorb the oil. Replace the oil filter.

Fill the engine with 7 qts. Hold the throttle to the floor, and crank for a few moments. This will allow the filter to fill and send oil to the top end. The engine will not start in full throttle.
Once you have pumped enough oil to he top end, start as normal, you will not get the Cam Phaser noise.
Even if you do not follow the above proceedure the noise is not determental and will clear once oil finds it way to the top end.

Anyone telling you it's not normal does not have a clue about the 3v 5.4.

The newer 5.4's have a redesigned Cam phaser. The way I understand it they are not compatible with the 04 5.4's.

Going to a dealer is just a waste of your time.
Kevin - you the man. I really find it hard not to believe you after reading your post. I will follow up here after my next oil change. My 04 is one of the first "new" body style trucks off the line. I bought it new and have battled through nearly every issue the early trucks had. Now my warranty is up and I am tired of the dealership. Bottom line: it is still the best truck I've ever driven and I plan to keep it for quite some time.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 PM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by KevinM
There are two distinct PN's for CAM phasers. Think what you want, but your lack of knowledge on the subject is prevelent!
As I said it's not a problem. You guys are making it out to be a problem.
5.4 3V =KevinM

just seams weird that the older ones do it and the new ones don't.....why is that kevinM???

Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
I had the noise still do on my 04, did a lot of searching and found out many with 04's and early 05's that did their oil changes had the same. Talked to techs etc. The only time the CAM Phasers are recomenended to be changed was due to the idle dieseling noise. Even then they worked fine they just made noise.

After almost 50K miles and many oil changes I have no ill effects and the procedure works well.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:31 PM
last5oh_302
Laughing Gas
Received 322 Likes on 186 Posts
5.4 3V =KevinM

just seams weird that the older ones do it and the new ones don't.....why is that kevinM???
Kind of reminds of the GM service manager I've dealt with. "No sir, it's supposed to consume that much oil and puff blue on a cold start. It's the nature of the motor and GM allows for that in their specs".

I still had them install new valve seals, but that was under warranty however.

Is there a TSB out on this? Perhaps you could get it fixed that way even though you're out of warranty Beeford? Do the phasers tick under normal operation, or do you only hear what you've described as a "klunk" after oil changes?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:34 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
The TSB is for the idle dieseling noise, not noise at oil change since it goes away.
It's worth a try if you have the time. Even then I am not so sure the ner phasers will correct the oil change noise.

The following is a partial section of the TSB
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="96%" border=3><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="25%" bgColor=#ffffff>TSB

06-19-8

</TD><TD align=left width="65%" bgColor=#ffffff>
  • TICKING AND / OR KNOCKING NOISE / STARTUP RATTLE FROM ENGINE - 4.6L / 5.4L 3V
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#0000ff colSpan=2>Publication Date: September 13, 2006</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
ISSUE:

Some vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3-valve or 5.4L 3-valve engine may exhibit a ticking and / or knocking noise after reaching normal operating temperature, or a rattle upon starting. The noise may be described as ticks, taps, knocks, or thumps. In some cases the noise may be a normal characteristic of these engines. In other cases the noise may require further investigation. Sorting out and defining the noise as reported by the customer is important to successfully diagnose and / or repair the condition

VALVE TRAIN

Lash adjusters can make a ticking / tapping noise noticeable at any engine RPM / temperature and is audible through the wheel well or an open hood. However, with the hood down, lash adjuster noise can be heard as a light tapping noise through the wheel well and is considered normal.

Tracing this noise must be isolated to a cylinder bank. If one bank is louder than the other bank, focus the diagnostic to the loud bank. If both banks seem loud with the hood down, compare wheel well sound level to another comparable vehicle.

Use a stethoscope on the top of the cam cover bolt heads to confirm which bank is affected. Move the probe from front to rear if necessary.

If isolated, only replace the intake and exhaust lifters on the affected cylinder bank. VARIABLE CAM TIMING

The 4.6L 3V and 5.4L 3V variable cam timing (VCT) feature may emit a light knock in normal operation and is audible only at idle speed, with a hot engine (gear selector in park / neutral). However, it may be masked by or mistaken for other noises generated from either injector firing or a malfunctioning valve train as described above. The noise does not affect performance or durability of the part.

VCT phasers may knock at hot idle. It may be heard inside the passenger compartment, or the wheel well area. Some light noise is normal. The engine may require a cold soak overnight for a full diagnosis to effectively be made at hot idle, particularly when a VCT phaser is suspected. The knock is not prevalent at cold temperature. To test for VCT noise:
  1. [*]
START UP RATTLE

Some 2004 F-150 and 2005 F-150, Expedition, Navigator, F-Super Duty, and Mustang vehicles may have a rattle on startup that lasts 1 to 3 seconds. If initial pre-checks have been completed and the noise sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine, replace the VCT Phaser Kit. If the engine continues to make the rattle noise after the initial startup do not exchange VCT.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><TBODY><TR><TH align=middle>PART NUMBER</TH><TH align=middle>PART NAME</TH></TR><TR><TD align=left>5L1Z-6500-AA</TD><TD align=left>Lash Adjuster (2005 Vehicles)</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>3L3Z-6500-BA</TD><TD align=left>Lash Adjuster (2004 Vehicles)</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>3R2Z-6A257-DA</TD><TD align=left>VCT Phaser Kit</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

As you can see by the following there was a design change to some parts. The parts are not interchangable

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="96%" border=3><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="25%" bgColor=#ffffff>TSB

04-24-24

</TD><TD align=left width="65%" bgColor=#ffffff>
  • CAMSHAFT AND LASH ADJUSTER DESIGN CHANGE - 5.4L 3V ENGINE
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ISSUE:

The 5.4L 3-valve engine lash adjuster and camshaft design has been modified for the 2005 model year (MY). Do not use 2005 MY parts when servicing a 2004 MY engine, or 2004 MY parts when servicing a 2005 MY engine. If parts are intermixed during a service repair, the engine may exhibit noises on affected cylinders and engine damage may result.

ACTION:

Order and install parts for the correct model year engine. The following Inspection Procedure can also be used to visually confirm the application of a part.

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD sWe3b="0" HGxPN="0">THE ENGINE MODEL YEAR SHOULD BE CONFIRMED BY CHECKING THE ENGINE TAG LOCATED ON THE VALVE COVER. A 2004 MY ENGINE WILL HAVE CODE 4G-692-AA AND A 2005 MY ENGINE WILL BE IDENTIFIED AS 5G-692-AA.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

2004 and 2005 MY camshafts can be visually identified by the location of the variable cam timing phaser (VCT) pin notch in relation to the machining lug, as seen on the end of the camshafts (Figures 1-2).

Figure 1 - Article 04-24-24

Figure 2 - Article 04-24-24

2004 and 2005 MY lash adjusters can be visually identified by the presence or lack of an identification groove cut into the lash adjuster boss (Figure 3). The 2005 MY parts will have this identification groove cut into the boss, while the 2004 MY parts will not.

Figure 3 - Article 04-24-24

Hope this answers why the earlier ones are prone to it and not the later. Design change

Last edited by KevinM; 04-04-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: knocking after oil change again