2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Wind Noise

Old 04-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Triboy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wind Noise

This is my first post in a while. I had an 03 EB that wasn't kind to me and I've been Ford free for a couple of years. Anyway my wife and I picked up an 07 XLT about a week ago.

I have noticed while driving at highway speeds there seems to be a lot more wind noise than I would expect coming from the driver's side. I didn't notice it on the test drive and I'm not sure if it is coming from the mirror or elsewhere. The noise is loud enough that I'm always thinking the window is partly down or the door is not fully shut when I first pull onto the highway.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It is a bit of a let down because the truck is so darn quite otherwise.

Thanks..

Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
i have a SD but had the same problem, it was the morrors on mine...try driving with the window down and putting your hand over things untill it stops...if you cant here ut with the window down obviously its the window itself...take it back and havce them fix it...thats the great thing about new trucks...WARRANTY

Old 04-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Ratpack
Junior User
I would take it back and have it checked. My 07 EB EL is very quiet at highway speeds.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:00 AM
TexasFX4
New User
I purchased an 07 EB myself and having been dealing with the wind noise issue as well. It always seems to come from the drivers side door and can be heard by the person sitting in the passenger seat as well. I took it back to the dealer in McKinney TX to have them look at it and the filled some of the seams around the trim with .50 cents worth of foam and I am still having the same issue. Triboy, let me know if you figure anything out when dealing with getting it fixed as it seems my dealership doesnt know how to take care of the issue.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Ratpack
Junior User
I turned the radio off this morning on the way to work to see how the wind noise was and I could hear some noise. Not sure if it is the same level that others are having but it seems to me to be an acceptable level for a truck that size. Also, the mirrors aren't very aerodynamic. I haven't installed mine yet, but one thing that may help is the window deflectors. I also have a front hood deflector that may be helping by pushing the air away from the window area.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:24 AM
Ford-150
Senior User
we had a 04 model expy and have the same problem but it was only at 75+ speeds and heavy wind conditions but it is the design of it

Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Triboy
Junior User
Thanks for all the replies.

I have not taken it back to the dealer yet. I've been trying to pay more attention to the variables surrounding the wind noise. It seems like it really starts to become noticable around 60 mph and is quite distracting 70 mph and above. My wife took the Expy and the kids out of town for a week this morning so I'll have to wait until next week before exploring it any further.

TexasFX4 - It sounds like we have the same thing going on. I will update if I get a resolution on my own or with the dealer.

Ratpack - Thanks for checking yours. I'm not really sure how to judge if it is an acceptable level of noise or not. I'm thinking not because it only seems to project from the drivers side and it sounds almost exactly (to me) like the window is slightly cracked open (I've verified it and the door is fully shut several times) which doesn't seem normal to me. I might ask to drive 1 or 2 on the lot of my dealer to see if they sound the same.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 AM
rbarbot2
Junior User
I really take offense to cars noises: windw noise, rattles, squeaks, etc. But I haven't noticed anything abnormal with our 07 Limited. It is super quiet, even at high speeds. Occassionally, if there is cross wind on the highway, I notice some wind across the driver's side mirror, but only because everything else is so darn quiet.

I had a bad windshield seal once on our 2000 Expy. Might be worth checking. Can you locate the area your noise is coming from?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 AM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
I just picked up a 2007 EB and what a nice truck!

We too have a wind leak, noice coming from the drivers door, so please let everyone know if the dealer fixes it, and what they did to fix it??

Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Triboy
Junior User
I dropped the Expy off at the dealer this morning. I have not heard back from them yet but something I noticed this morning when I went out is that the hood to windshield plastic trim (I'm sure it has a better name) isn't even close to being seated on the driver's side. I pointed it out to the dealer and they said they would fix it. I'm just wondering if those of you with the wind issue on the driver's side have the same thing going on?

When I pick the Expy up this evening I'll let everyone know if they fixed it and if it was indeed the trim.

I took some pictures of what I'm talking about to share but for some reason I don't seem to have rights to post attachments.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
Great, let us know.

I do know that the noise comes from the window and not down low, it seems like the window is cracked iopen which it's not.

I did see that window trim, but I did not check the other side to see if it was different.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Triboy
Junior User
I just got back from picking the Expy. No more wind noise!

It was coming from the front wiper cowl not being all the way seated on the drivers side. I guess it was misdirecting air somehow making it sound like a window was partly down. The dealer said the clip had to be replaced (which they did) and now the cowl is laying flat like it is supposed to be.
I am not able to post an attachment but I put a couple of pictures of what it looked like before they fixed it in my gallery. Below are the links.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:39 PM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
Thanks for the info!

I checked mine last night, it is a little looser than the other side but not like yours! I will take it in sometime, not a big thing right now.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:25 PM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
I took our truck to the dealer and of course they said it is normal wind noise?? If it is normal hoow come the passenger side does not have this noise?

Does anyone else have some (small) wind noise on the drivers side? We noticed this on our test drive, so it is very noticable?

Old 07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else have this problem or get it fixed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wind Noise