N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Update on Traveling Dan...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:51 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on Traveling Dan...

He pulled out of here with a lighter load a few minutes ago...

He has some stuff for Jim (crusie control and heater for his camper) a few more Dodge motor home parts, but he's lightened the load by leaving the engine and tranny here.

BTW, I think he and I figured out why the truck was in the wrecking yard.

Pulled the tranny down and over on it's bellhousing to handcart it...and all the fluid came out...black...looked like used motor oil.

We're guessing the tranny toasted probably why the truck got hauled in.

Good thing is the top of the heads are pretty clean, I'll fashion up a stand after steaming the engine off, get the starter bolted up and spin it over, if compression is good/bad...we'll have an idea of what needed to be done to it.

Anyway,

Dan should be at Clint's around 1pm. We spent more time BS'ing than loading and unloading...nature of the beast I guess.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Traveling Dan the Minstrel ----- Man! Putting a lot of miles on his pristine '68 this weekend. That is cool the engine finally made it to its destination. I am sure Dan is at Clint's as I type this. So the truck will be on its way to its new temp home shortly. Unless Dan decides to entertain Clint with some guitar/mandolin playing.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:06 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Clint, if you get this in time, make sure you catch some of that guitar & mandolin playing.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:15 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man. That Dan is a master!!!! I have a feeling that I will be tapping his expertise for some new material. I already learned some great stuff watching and listening to Dan's string bending. Andy, I'm sure you did too. We all gotta jam again sometime. But Andy, make sure you toughen up those fingure tips before we do. It takes guys like us a good hour before we're even warmed up to cut loose. Hell, Dan's born to boogie.
I had a great time playing with Andy and Dan. We'll haffta come prepared with some commonly known material next time though, so me and Andy can keep up "The Minstrel". (BTW, good nickname Jim)

Old 04-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Yeah, if Dan ever releases a CD we can all say "I knew him before he was famous..."

Old 04-02-2007, 02:31 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, shucks...you'se guys is too much...!

Anyway, I'm back home now. Pulled in with the project truck about 10 minutes before the witching hour, so it's now residing up here in its' temporary home to undergo the first stage of its' transformation. Tomorrow I'll drag it to work and then take it to my buddy's shop where I'll store it and work on it.

I rolled in to Clint's about 2:00 PM and pulled out around 4:30. The truck rode really well, except for on a few really bad sections of 99, usually where the road surface was old rough concrete. I can tell you in detail just where every bad section of road in the northbound lane is. I think I left a few pucker marks in driver's seat of my truck... Gotta get that front end changed out so I can get it aligned...

The old F250 made me proud, never missed a beat and even blew past a Chevy pulling a horse trailer up a long hill about 15 miles from home. I don't have the final gas milage and total miles traveled yet, I'll have to dig them out in the morning and crunch the numbers but taking a quick look during my last fuel stop it looks like I got around 10 pulling the trailer empty with combined hiway/some city driving, and oddly enough it looks as though I got 12 coming back up 99 with the '72...that one doesn't make sense to me and I'll have to double-check it tomorrow.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Glad to see you made it back...you were right...I recall you saying "It'll be midnight before I get home".

Thanks again for the dropin, and the detour to my place.

Re: the milage...could be the extra tougue weight tilted the gask tank enough to not get the complete fill.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Cool, a Ford that gets better mileage towing than it does empty. Maybe I can teach mine that trick!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Good ole 99....Ive put about 3,000 miles in my truck on that road lol driving from So-Cal to Davis haha....I too know those bad spots....worst part is when you have to get buddy buddy with a semi cause the construction....thats when I get to know the center divder better lol.
-Chris

Old 04-03-2007, 11:22 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I think working on 99 is like painting the GG Bridge...just never stops and will never be done.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I know what you mean. When a semi passes me in the construction zones it is a bit hair raising. Not too mention breezy, wants to push my camper into the k-rails.