Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior User

superman64011 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welding Tailgate to Bed Pros and Cons

Thought about welding my tailgate to my bed and was wondering who has done this. Likes and Dislikes. Like how is it to put wood in after its welded? Bed Gas tank does it make it a pain to fill up? Anything Else...

Thanks
Patrick
Old 03-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have just one question. Why on earth would you want to do that? I'm sure the next owner will have some choice words about the PO!

1949 F-1
Old 03-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Senior User

doug51f1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are you just trying to stop the chains from swinging on the gate? Why would you weld it shut? It will only make everything about the bed of the truck difficult to deal with. Try sweeping it out with the tailgate closed and then ask agian. Just my opinions.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Posting Guru

59flatbedford is starting off with a positive reputation.
sound kinda like a weard question. it would be find if you never want haul any thing heavier than you can lift over the side. if you want to build a show truck and you did a good job of welding it and blending it in it would make for a rear smooth back end. it would be unique if nothing else, i mean some people weld there doors shut.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Elder User

49fordpickumup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Tailgate

Why would you want to screw-up such a beautiful truck? If it is making a unwanted noise, find the area or part doing it/fix it. It could be a cracked weld, chains or the tailgate. If it's the tailgate, take it off and use a web like many modern pickups. Present the problem on FTE and someone will suggest a better solution for you. It definately would effect resale values. Have a great day,chuck

1950 F-1 1949 F-1/226
1949 F-3 Donor
Old 03-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Senior User

Thats why I was asking for opinions. Read alot and some show trucks weld their tailgate shut.

Patrick
Old 03-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Postmaster

3Mike6 has a good reputation on FTE.3Mike6 has a good reputation on FTE.
I thinking:

Pros..no rattles

Con...No open
Old 03-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Posting Guru

59flatbedford is starting off with a positive reputation.
the only one i could think of that would do that would be show truck builders, are you building a show truck or a sunday cruser grocery getter.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Postmaster

Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.Randy Jack has a good reputation on FTE.
Words fail me here.

I have seen this done, and it sucks.

It would be like lowering a Jeep to the ground....which I have also seen done.

Kinda defeats the purpose of a pickup bed, doesn't it?

Please don't do it. And if you do, please don't tell me.

Growing OLD is mandatory. Growing UP is optional.
Inside every old guy is a younger guy wondering what the heck happened.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior User

stewards68 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm sure you're getting tired of all the advice by now, but here's my $.02. I'm sure it would look cool to completely smooth it out. BUT..there are so many cool ways to clean up the back, hide the latches, hinges, smooth covers, etc. There must be a dozen different ways and hundreds more you could invent that would still leave it functional. It IS a truck after all....
Old 03-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Posting Guru

theGman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I must not get it; there are tons of classic cars out there, so what do people do?
They instead buy a truck, drop it to the ground and weld the gate shut....gee.... its now nearly a car.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Senior User

I would never think about hauling anything in the bed. Ive invested alot of cash in my 55 without trying to get the bed dinged up. It will prob almost be a show truck when everything is said and done.

Patrick
Old 04-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm not building my truck for show but even if I were I'd want a functioning tailgate. Without it the bed may as well be a trunk. If you feel that you have to weld it shut, how about a couple of very small tacks which could be easily broken if the next owner chooses to use the tailgate as intended? We've heard a lot of unflattering stories on this forum about previous owners. Mine welded the seat frame to the floor. Don't be in one of those stories...

1949 F-1
Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Elder User

brucewolff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, so we're in the minority. My son didn't have a tailgate so we made our own and he wanted a NASCAR style truck so we added a spoiler and welded them in. He doesn't have any intentions of hauling anything in it so no need for it to open.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Postmaster

abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.abe has a very good reputation on FTE.
Con: You can't Tailgate at the big game!

If you have rattles, get the rubber wedge shaped things that are supposed to go at the upper edge of the tailgate. I had a loose chain clamp. The rubber wedges were laying on my shop bench for years. On a chacne I out them in and it tighened the whole thing up and now the clamps are tight, the tailgate id tight, and the backend of the bed sides are firmer.

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
bed, tailgate, welding