Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM
New User

petebal is starting off with a positive reputation.
Second Fuel Tank

I'm going to be installing a WVO system on my pickup and am looking at a variety of aux. tanks for my truck.
I know I want aluminum or plastic (leaning towards aluminum) and I know it needs to be vented and preferably baffled.
Some of these tanks are expensive and are overkill for my needs. I'm looking for something under 30 gallons and preferable under $200...and it seems they're tough to find.

I'm also going to be fitting it with a Hot Fox, but otherwise it's not going to be heated.

What kind of aux. tank do you have, why do you like it, and why do you hate it?
Old 03-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
I'd look at ebay for an aux tank. I myself have a used (had WVO in it) steel L shaped 105 gal tank I got on Craigslist.com for $100. If I had the money for a new aluminum tank I woulda got one instead. I plan on drilling a 1.5" hole in the lower left side and welding a doubler to it and bolting the hot fox to it. Only so I don't have some much junk sticking above the bed looking unsightly.
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Senior User

misnomer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was looking for a tank, I found one that was 91 gal baffled aluminum diamond plate with a tool box on top (sits flush with the top of the bed) for $650 at northerntool, I called the manufacturer direct and found they had some seconds they would sell me at a discount. I bought one that was new, had gotten left outside with some wet cardboard on top which left behind a bit of discoloration on part of the lid, for $250.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Postmaster

mongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to allmongo75 is a name known to all
danny jones
Nice find Misnomer! I kinda pisses a guy off seeing how low they're willing to sell a tank w/ only some dicoloration on it. They probably paid about $100 for the metal TOPS, and about $30 in labor.....
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
E99 F-350 Dually Van turbo 4x4 CC LB 7.3L, AFE intake, 3 gauge pillar, 4" Magnaflow SS str8-pipe, DP Tuner, Swamps 175/146 SS inj, ARP head and bottom studs, Comp 910 springs, ITP Ovrbst, CCV mod, SS HPX, home made Reg-return, Foil Del, ZooDad, Air Horns 320hp/704tq
Old 04-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Senior User

or look at it this way: how much of a mark up northerntool is getting?! (and other resellers) I did also have to pay ~$100 shipping FL to CA. Still made in USA!

I am considering getting a oversize rear tank (38 gal) a new aluminum one for another $200, then when I put Plant Oil in I shouldn't have to worry about the waxy residue from the lining of the tank plugging filters. But now I am reading that WVO oxydizes relatively quickly and should be stabilized or don't keep it for very long.. but I am still reading/learning. Others say let it settle for weeks (longer the better) before final filtering for use... Anyone tried using Acetone in wvo? I see the blending method (Kerosene 20% Gasoline 5% 2 oz xylene & naptha) wouldn't the acetone method (used in gasoline & diesels) work similarly to the xylene & Naptha? I am not sure how those were determined to be part of the mix. I have seen the recipe around but not sure who came up with it and why. hmm.. guess I am onto different topics.. oops
Old 04-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Postmaster

danny jones
Man I don't know about blends- some guys swear by them, and then some swear at them.... Scientifically speaking, being that most fluids used in blending have different specific gravities, they will not stay blended. But then again a lot of guys also say that thier blends don't separate. Once I mixed three parts JP-5 (jet fuel) with one part WVO, and it sat for two days not separating. I for one will stick with WVO, I don't have the check book for gambling!
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 04-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Senior User

Have you been using wvo? I hear that blends will separate too, but I don't know why they would, if you completely mix them it would take a lot to get them to separate and if you mix before you put in the tank and then drive periodically it wont be still enough to allow separation. Do you still have your sample sitting? I really don't know why they would separate, if you dump xylene in it wouldn't separate, the naptha oil? I don't know what purpose that serves. I am in a warm climate, I could just filter and go without any modifications (according to some, and many do it that way around here, atleast in the warm months (march to november! lol) I haven't tried it yet, I have a source who uses pure corn oil in his friers. I would like to know what people are going through for filtering. I was going to get some baldwin filters. I have heard of some very funky setups using air filters and such, I want to find something simple that I can plumb into my pump with 3/4" fittings. I have a few ideas, I suppose the only thing to do is to just try it out and see what happens.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Postmaster

danny jones
You could get an expensive filter system from one of the several WVO websites, or you could run out to Wal Mart and for $30 have a "whole house" water filter that goes down to 5 micron. I used to not settle in the jugs- I just poured the newly aquired WVO into one of the wifes' nylon leggings, which I'm guestimating is about 300 microns. I would then heat it in a 30 gal drum to about 150* and then run it through a 1 micron sock filter. You'd probably be better off doing it in steps, 200 mic, 100 mic, 50, 25 or 10. The think is- when you're pre-filtering your wvo- you don't want to use any kinda filter that has a bypass- which will pop open early and then the filter is doing nothing for you.
Danny PAA member #12
SoCal Chapter Member
Old 04-04-2007, 12:33 AM