Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Am I Old Fashioned?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I Old Fashioned?

Is it wrong to think that a 35 year old should not be dating an 18 year old?

Old 05-20-2007, 11:13 PM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm......well, hard to say. I am not one that thinks age should be a problem as long as both parties are mature enough to know what they want in its entirety. My parents are 17 years apart, and they've made it work really well.

IMO, it all depends on that they both know what they're getting into, what they're going to miss, what they're going to gain, and be happy with that.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Well said, nighthawk. Love doesn't ask for an ID...

Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
In this state it does ask for ID if one of the lovers is under 18!

I think IMHO that anyone under 25 should not be in a relationship with anyone more that 30% higher or lower than their age. Over 25 and chances are the maturity has overcome the other aspects of relationships. Maybe it would work... Maybe the 35 yo wants a young woman to trian? maybe the 18yo wants a sugar daddy? I do not know the situation but as a father of a little girl I would say "35 aint too young to die" if you hurt my BABY

Old 05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I personally dont think age should matter. If a 35 year old, and an 18 year old find they have enough in common to have a good relationship, then what should it matter that one is older then the other?

Old 05-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
In this state it does ask for ID if one of the lovers is under 18!
But these guys are both over 18. So...

When my daughter was younger, I shared your feelings, Marty. But, now as she approaches the 'age of consent' I find my feelings relaxing. The best we can do as parents is teach our children how to make informed decisions and that all decisions come with consequences ~ some good, some not so good.

PS ~ My husband is 17 years older than me and we've been together almost 19 years. I have never looked back with even a twinge of regret ~

Old 05-21-2007, 03:49 PM
nubeee1
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You go Girl!!!!.....(Snowbunny)

As parents we try to protect our off spring! But they grow up and seem to not need are hovering over them 24/7. We went on our own decisions when we reached the age of accountability. I made mistakes and learned from them, (I'm sure it was hard on my mom, because some of them where stupid!) Just the same she let me learn my own life's lessons when i was to stubborn.(@ 17).
I have 2 girls, 24 & 25. It was the hardest day in my life to let them go.
They both turned out Great! I still miss my little Girls! (But don't tell anyone)
TOM

Old 05-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
I've decided that that's why they call it "Tough Love" ~ It's so hard on us parents to watch our kids stumble in life. We want so desperately to reach out and catch them before they fall... But, it's the lessons they learn on their own that will be the ones they remember the most. We may see it as a mistake, but as I remind my husband, if they're of age, it's their mistake to make. I wouldn't want anybody telling me what to do. Now, or when I was younger. I left home when I was 14 and turned out just fine!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:20 PM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Snowbunny
We want so desperately to reach out and catch them before they fall...
Thats whats nice about being over here in LaGrande.....I get to fall down more, but on the other hand, my face sure does hurt a lot more lately....hahaha

Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Snowbunny
But these guys are both over 18. So...

When my daughter was younger, I shared your feelings, Marty. But, now as she approaches the 'age of consent' I find my feelings relaxing. The best we can do as parents is teach our children how to make informed decisions and that all decisions come with consequences ~ some good, some not so good.

PS ~ My husband is 17 years older than me and we've been together almost 19 years. I have never looked back with even a twinge of regret ~
I am not trying to be argumentative but, What is the difference between 17 yrs 364 days old and 18 years old? try rape of a minor. But that is not the issue here just our Fd up legal system. I do not totally disagree I just think i would have a hard time with a 17 year split when one of them is so young.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:17 PM
nighthawk285
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
I am not trying to be argumentative but, What is the difference between 17 yrs 364 days old and 18 years old?
A number on a page somewhere, just a number on a page. I've had to go through a lot of this kind of stuff, starting my freshman year of college when I was 16.....I was mature and smart enough to understand classes and social stuff, but according to the legal system, there was no way I could understand a legal contract and sign my name to it.

This thing is kindof like the argument of why we can join the military and potentially die for our country at 18, but we can't have a beer legally....

Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to thank everyone for the responses! Gives me something to ponder.

I guess I am a bit Old Fashioned...I don't really care about an age diffirence in a relationship, but at 18 a person has not had a chance to grow on their own.

A couple at 35 and 50 has at least had the chance to see life a bit, but I do have a problem with 18 and 35.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nighthawk285
Thats whats nice about being over here in LaGrande.....I get to fall down more, but on the other hand, my face sure does hurt a lot more lately....hahaha
I have the pillows ready whenever you think you need 'em! NOT! But, I will ALWAYS love you no matter how mashed your face becomes! See you tomorrow!!! Whoo Hoo! Can't wait!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:47 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Placermike
I guess I am a bit Old Fashioned...I don't really care about an age diffirence in a relationship, but at 18 a person has not had a chance to grow on their own.
You know though, I was on my own when I was 15. By the time I was 18 I was alot more grown up then most other 18 year old guys. And they do say a woman at taht age is more mature then a guy.. Just something else to ponder!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Placermike
Is it wrong to think that a 35 year old should not be dating an 18 year old?
NO (generally) imo.

Is she living at home? But if you've faith that your 18yo daughter is on the right track, then let her swing. I'd be checking out the 35yo guy for a criminal record and his reputation in the neighborhood to help her be safe.