Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Posting Guru

bkcowboss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Regeneration?

I have seen this term thrown around quite a bit, just hoping someone can make sense of it for me. thanks in advance. Also a laymans description of the new exhaust requirements if there is one would be great
Old 03-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Elder User

kimminau2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but simply put when the DPF (deisel particulate filter) gets dirty it does not filter properly, therefore the PCM adds some fuel to the exhaust stroke which raises the exhaust temperature and burns the DPF clean. This process is called regeneration.
2007 Expedition EL, Eddie Bauer, loaded.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Posting Guru

bkcowboss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
hence the bad gas mileage during the regen process. Thanks for the clarification
Old 03-30-2007, 04:04 PM
Senior User

Bobmarlin is starting off with a positive reputation.
How often does regeneration occur? Once a day? Once a week? Once a month? I have not read anywhere how often to expect it. I sure do want a nice 09 when they hit the floor next year. Hopefully the wife does not threaten the old "Lorena Bobbitt Treatment" for my new truck problem...
44,700 miles to date (12/30/08)
Old 03-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Elder User

66stang351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the official statement was every 100-600 miles.
Mods: Billet grille/side vents, tailgate badging removed, Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/Bluetooth XM IPOD backup camera, B&W hitch w/trailer plug-in in bed, LineX, Access Tonneau, Smoked tail lights mirror signals cab lights and third brake light, train whistle, GearVendor, AFE CAT/DPF Delete pipe, Spartan tuned
Old 03-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Posting Guru

tn mac is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
I believe it depends on the way the truck is used, and weather it is driven in the city or the hwy, if used a little harder it doesnt regen as often, as I understand it.
2002 f250 5.4 4x4 sc sb lariat
2000 f350 7.3 real powerstroke
crew cab 4x4 longbed srw 3.73 gears
1990 f150 4x4 shorbed 302 5speed
1978 f150 4x4 shortbed 351 xlt
2008 v10 f350 crewcab 4x4 crewcab longbed
Old 03-31-2007, 12:17 AM
Elder User

kimminau2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a little over 2500 miles on mine now. I know of only 1 regen which just occurred. If it did it earlier (which it probably did) I was unaware of it.
2007 Expedition EL, Eddie Bauer, loaded.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:36 AM
Postmaster

rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.
what does it sound like during regen?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Senior User

bamacommander is starting off with a positive reputation.
The truck regen process has a part of its filtering system that gets up and over 2000 degrees. This is not a good idea. I think you will see other issues like field and grass fires. Stay tuned because Chevy and Dodge use similiar systems. Thank you Washington and all those tree huggers who made this possible.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Elder User

CanadaGuy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
what does it sound like during regen?
Here's a tad of info from a previous post...
ISSUE:
2008 F-Series vehicles equipped with the 6.4L diesel engine are equipped with an oxidation catalytic converter (OC) and diesel particulate filter (DPF). The function and operation of these parts may cause some customers to perceive an issue with their vehicle.

ACTION:
Review the Operating Characteristics with the customer.

OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS

Diesel particulates in the exhaust are trapped by the DPF. Regeneration is the process by which exhaust temperatures are increased so the particulates are combusted.

The frequency and length of regeneration will fluctuate as both are determined by the drive cycle. For most drive conditions, regeneration frequency will vary from 100 - 600 miles (161 - 804 Km) between occurrence and last from 10 to 40 minutes. The first regeneration does not require 100 miles (161 Km) and may occur at any time. The length of regeneration is usually reduced if a constant speed above 30 MPH (48 Km/h) is maintained.

The following is a list of normal operation while the vehicle is in regeneration, and do not require repair. If you are not sure if the vehicle is in regeneration, IDS can be used to monitor the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) PID.

Engine idle speed can be 1100 to 1200 RPM in park/neutral with foot off brake.
High idle speed drops to within 50 RPM of normal idle when the brake pedal is touched, PRNDL is actuated, or clutch is actuated.
White smoke in cold ambients is normal and the amount will be increased during regeneration.
Powertrain power is limited to 325 horsepower (HP).
Engine responsiveness may be slightly different than normal operation.
During initiation of regeneration, exhaust smell may be noticed - especially on new vehicles.
Powertrain sound will be different including air induction noise (including flutter on deceleration or engine shut down), exhaust noise, and changes in engine radiated noise.
During regeneration, exhaust temperatures are elevated.
The following is also normal and may be observed by a technician using a diagnostic tool. It is not likely that a customer would be aware of these:

The throttle body is only active during the regeneration process and during shutdown.
EGR is not operating during regeneration.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 PM
Senior User

Stalwart is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamacommander
The truck regen process has a part of its filtering system that gets up and over 2000 degrees.
ER . . . NO! If the exhaust temperature got that hot your turbos would fail. The filter needs temperatures around 1000 degrees to burn the soot. This is an acceptable temperature for the turbo components and is common during moderate/heavy pulling in any Diesel truck.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:20 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2008, block, catalytic, converter, cycle, diesel, engine, f350, f450, ford, issues, regen, regeneration, truck, turbo