General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

what you all think of the Marines new tattoo policy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:46 PM
ag-ford-4x4
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arent they Government property? Whats the problem? I don't see the problem with having a clean sharp looking soldier. You wouldn't take your rifle and scrape all the bluing off would you? No, you wouldn't, so why would you opt to mar your body, the single most important tool you have? They banned them because they look like *****.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
oldgoat49
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in the Navy from 68 to 72 and I seem to remember that they could court martial you for tattoos if they wanted to. Considered damaging Gov property. You are the gov property and as such they can make almost any rule that they want and they DO want conformity. I thought this rule would allow those tat not visible though. In the end though if you want to be an individual the military probably isn't the place to start at.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:12 PM
westtntrucker
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ag-ford-4x4
Arent they Government property?
That line say's it all. From the second you enlist to the second you are discharged, You are government property (even when "off duty"), Just as the weapon you carry.
Yes, I do think it is ridicoulus to come up with this type of order. My guess would be to try and stop some form of gang tats. Or maybe this idea first floated out of "Military Intellegence"........BWAAHHHAAAAHHHAAA.....it's even hard to type those two words together with out laughing. Sorry...........

Last edited by westtntrucker; 03-29-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:48 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by westtntrucker
That line say's it all. From the second you enlist to the second you are discharged, You are government property (even when "off duty"), Just as the weapon you carry.
Yes, I do think it is ridicoulus to come up with this type of order. My guess would be to try and stop some form of gang tats. Or maybe this idea first floated out of "Military Intellegence"........BWAAHHHAAAAHHHAAA.....it's even hard to type those two words together with out laughing. Sorry...........
blame it on the dumba$$es that get racial tats, gang tats, pot leaves, tats on their necks, hands, that is what pushed our leaders over the edge...nothing like having to sit there and listen to two service members argue over a ten year old tattoo of a confederate flag or swatztika.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:28 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
first off, i don't understand where people get this "governemnt property" thing at. show me one thing that refers someone as to being property. they are no ones property, they are people serving under a contract, not bought and sold like slaves, nice respect everyone.

in the many years of doing security and investigations in the military, i came only across one instant where someone got into trouble for getting sunburned, and even that was dropped. and i never heard or seen someone getting in any type of trouble for getting a tattoo, unless it was gang related.

as far as damage, what damage is a tattoo doing? i didn't see any physical dysfunction from someone with a tattoo.

blueing is to protect the rifle, not to make it look pretty.y are going to recend the order, just as they did in the Navy when they tried it, they made it where you could get a waiver to get one below the bicep, and even that was never enforced anyways.

cheers!

its not that i am for tattoos or anything, just against more intrusion on personnal lives. but hey, the military can't even prosocute for DUI anymore if busted off base, they declared it "double jeapordy".

oldgoat49 - and court martial? don't you mean captains mast? i seriously doubt that having a tat is a felony offense worthy of a court martial.

Last edited by bf250; 03-29-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
it's the old "sea lawyers" that preach that garbage about destruction of government property...and that's what i tell my junior Marines and Sailors.....

they just need to use their good judgement....and as much as i hate to say it, my old motto of "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" is quickly becoming useless....

Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
"sea lawyers" i havn't heard that term for awhile!

i agree about the good judgment call, thats what the Chief is for...right?

Old 03-29-2007, 08:57 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
I must be the only marine to have never gotten "painted".....(oops!.....sorry......dono makes "2")........

I can see rules against "new" tats with racial or gang stuff..........."old" stuff can be forgiven prior to joining (we all do stupid crap when we're younger.....)......

Aside from that.....the USMC has worked quite well for 200+ years without onerous "tat" rules.......Why screw with it now?.........

Old 03-29-2007, 09:10 PM
OKMIC1
Elder User
I'd put the new rule right next to short hair cuts. It's just part of the image the military wants to project to the public. It's not like they banned tattoos, just tattoos on the lower legs and forearms. Hand, neck and face tats are already banned.

Much ado about nothing.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 PM
bkrsmiley
New User
Let's see the Issue here !! TATT'S ??? Ok !!! FIRST OFF I AM A DISABLED VIET-NAM VET WITH A PURPLE HEART !!! OK !!!! SO !!! WHERE DOES THIS GO ??? WOULD YOU RATHER TAKE THEIR PLACE ?? I DO NOT THINK SO !!! BUT IT IS CALLED ABUSE OF GOVERMENT PROPERTY !! WHICH IS A COURT MARSHALL OFFENCE !!! LET'S COURT MARTIAL EVERY ONE THAT SERVES IN THE WAR ZONE !!! THEN NO ONE SHALL BE IN THE WAR ZONE !!!! THEN THERE IS NO WAR !!! cool!!!!!!!!!!!! LET THE TERRORIST COME IN ON THEIR FREE TIME RENT A CAR AND BLOW IT UP AT SOME ONE ELSES HOME !!! AS LONG AS IT IS NOT MY HOUSE WHO CARE'S !! YOUR HOUSE I DO NOT KNOW YOU !!!! COURT MARTIAL THE KID'S AND HAVE A SUCIDE BOMER VISIT YOUR HOME !!! COOOOOOOOOOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Damn, Smiley.....2 posts and you're doing a lot of yelling!..........

Too many capitalized words and exclamation points.......Are you for the new regs or against?.......

Old 03-29-2007, 09:28 PM
OKMIC1
Elder User
Originally Posted by bkrsmiley
Let's see the Issue here !! TATT'S ??? Ok !!! FIRST OFF I AM A DISABLED VIET-NAM VET WITH A PURPLE HEART !!! OK !!!! SO !!! WHERE DOES THIS GO ??? WOULD YOU RATHER TAKE THEIR PLACE ?? I DO NOT THINK SO !!! BUT IT IS CALLED ABUSE OF GOVERMENT PROPERTY !! WHICH IS A COURT MARSHALL OFFENCE !!! LET'S COURT MARTIAL EVERY ONE THAT SERVES IN THE WAR ZONE !!! THEN NO ONE SHALL BE IN THE WAR ZONE !!!! THEN THERE IS NO WAR !!! cool!!!!!!!!!!!! LET THE TERRORIST COME IN ON THEIR FREE TIME RENT A CAR AND BLOW IT UP AT SOME ONE ELSES HOME !!! AS LONG AS IT IS NOT MY HOUSE WHO CARE'S !! YOUR HOUSE I DO NOT KNOW YOU !!!! COURT MARTIAL THE KID'S AND HAVE A SUCIDE BOMER VISIT YOUR HOME !!! COOOOOOOOOOOL !!!!!!!!!!!!
You might want to tune down your meds.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
BKRsmiley

Welcome to FTE . a web that stipulates Respect to each other.

whyareyouYellingwithallthatuppercase ?

Try lower case and people will read it.

Do you listen when someone Yells at you ?

Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 PM
06BLK-F150
Freshman User
I'm active duty Navy (going on 21 years now) and I can understand the new regulations, the Navy already had that one for a year now. It has to do with image and looking professional in uniform, which some of these tattoos these young Sailors and Marines are getting do not represent professionalism. Sure the standard arguement is these guys and gals are adults and dying for their country they should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies. True enough and they can once they leave military service. Plus they can still get tattoos, they just have to be above the elbow or knee, that still leaves alot of area on the body that can be tattoed.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 PM
edgl
Elder User
When I was in the Army, (68-70), they had certain standards for dress. You have to maintain discipline, and standards in the Military, if you want to keep things organized. I can understand the Marines reason for putting out this decree. The Marines have the right to do what they want with their people. The Military is an entity onto itself. When you take the oath to join the Military, you are under a different set of rules, and have to obey what the Military wants.

Quick Reply: what you all think of the Marines new tattoo policy?