Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

I Need Some Help Please! With High School Math

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:29 PM
JR182PILOT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I Need Some Help Please! With High School Math

My wife & I are home schooling our daughter (almost done) and some of this MATH is way over my head.... Evil it is......I have taught her everyday math, you know the stuff you use around the home. Also been doing well with Shop math. But this stuff.........is...........Evil.....And I do some math that's not easy as a pilot. I did OK when when I was running the Computer business, as a programmer....

I got the idea that I would get a Scientific Calculator to help her out.
Dam thing would take me a year to learn to program.

The sad thing here is, I don't know where she would ever use this stuff. Her and I worked about 4 hours on one of her test.....We got a 40% on it. So it's time I asked for some help. This is not an easy thing for me to do. But in this case, I'll hang my head low and YELL very loudly....HELP !!!

I do expect to pay, trade (except my truck) or something in return. One thing I know is that someone will get a free
HP Scientific Calculator as a BONUS....

Please contact me by PM and we'll talk. I do not mind driving a few hours or days to get this done. We are also on a time frame to get this done, or all the work she has done so far (almost 3 years) will not count, will be a total waste of her time.

Please note: Sasha, thats my daughter, has so far on her own, been keeping a GPA 92% "A" with all the other studies.....It' just the new fangled math, that is sinking the boat......

Thank you all for your time in reading this....

John and Sasha

Old 03-25-2007, 03:40 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot help you but I can offer my understanding.
The "NEW MATH" seems to contradict the "Common Sence Math"

Old 03-25-2007, 03:44 PM
JR182PILOT
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MARTYSTOWRIG
I cannot help you but I can offer my understanding.
The "NEW MATH" seems to contradict the "Common Sence Math"

Thanks Marty you are correct.

I am very old school, this stuff drives me nuts......I just can't see... what they want me to see.....

Old 03-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by JR182PILOT
My wife & I are home schooling our daughter (almost done) and some of this MATH is way over my head.... Evil it is......I have taught her everyday math, you know the stuff you use around the home. Also been doing well with Shop math. But this stuff.........is...........Evil.....And I do some math that's not easy as a pilot. I did OK when when I was running the Computer business, as a programmer....

I got the idea that I would get a Scientific Calculator to help her out.
Dam thing would take me a year to learn to program.

The sad thing here is, I don't know where she would ever use this stuff. Her and I worked about 4 hours on one of her test.....We got a 40% on it. So it's time I asked for some help. This is not an easy thing for me to do. But in this case, I'll hang my head low and YELL very loudly....HELP !!!

I do expect to pay, trade (except my truck) or something in return. One thing I know is that someone will get a free
HP Scientific Calculator as a BONUS....

Please contact me by PM and we'll talk. I do not mind driving a few hours or days to get this done. We are also on a time frame to get this done, or all the work she has done so far (almost 3 years) will not count, will be a total waste of her time.

Please note: Sasha, thats my daughter, has so far on her own, been keeping a GPA 92% "A" with all the other studies.....It' just the new fangled math, that is sinking the boat......

Thank you all for your time in reading this....

John and Sasha

No pay expected, and please do not do your daugther a dis-service by providing a calculator. I love math, and we have a daugther that is a teacher in Colorado. PM with more specifics...What grade,etc.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:41 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Well, I believe you are in luck because not only am I in second year Calculus (ego boost again MARTY) but my wife actually happens to be a math professor. That's one part help. Two parts is although you can buy a TI-83 calculator off ebay for very cheap, I would definitely go with the TI-89 if you can afford it. Now you'll have to check because with the TI-89 I don't know if you can use those on the SAT's because they contain a math processing chip that pretty much takes all the thought out of solving the problem.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Rusty49
Junior User
When I took SAT's 4yrs ago no calculators could be used.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Out of curiosity, what does it take to homeschool in WA? Do you have to send her off to do standardized tests, or be part of a co-op, or?
When I was homeschooled in ME, we had to have an organized group with published curriculum and standardized testing.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:55 PM
JR182PILOT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Placermike
No pay expected, and please do not do your daugther a dis-service by providing a calculator. I love math, and we have a daugther that is a teacher in Colorado. PM with more specifics...What grade,etc.

Sorry Mike. I got the calculator, but the two of don't know how to turn it on..... Thank you for your offer to help. oneminizut has offered to help out as well. We are going to do a trade, work for work....

Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM
JR182PILOT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Out of curiosity, what does it take to homeschool in WA? Do you have to send her off to do standardized tests, or be part of a co-op, or?
When I was homeschooled in ME, we had to have an organized group with published curriculum and standardized testing.
Jared, it's pretty open in WA. One parent has to have a degree or a teaching certificate. We signed her out of the system at the end of 3rd grade. We were using computer software & books till she turned 14. Than we bought a High School Diploma Course from Thomson Education Direct. Her school name was call Thomson High School. They did a name change about a year ago or so, to Penn Foster.

Total Lessons 108 and she has 84 of them completed so 24 to go. I think she has a few lessons done, but wants Mom or me to look the over, before going on line to take the test. Mom and I do not do any of the work, we audit her, coach her, help her and tell her she need to go over this or that, as needed. Sometimes we may walk her through some of it. But she does the work....

Old 03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Don't worry PILOT, If I can't get her to learn it right my wife said she will, and she is a professor at three different schools. She's really good.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My grandaughter made the National Honor Roll last year. This year (Junior HS) she is taking part of the new math over as she struggled with it the first time around. I "Aced" my Business Math in commercial college back in the 60's but this new stuff is...well...I was no help to her at all.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:02 AM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Ok, Al you fathers and grandfathers... send your children my way. And no, I'm not the Pied Piper. But I do know the new math, and I can solve the problems like a woman eats chocolate. But if you want the problems explained really well, then lets trade. I am not a mechanic and I need my baby running. PILOT is already helping me with my distributor and timing for help with his child's math. I could use some points on re-wiring back to Ford specs. I am good at any math, my wife is better because she can explain it in simple terms(she uses m&m's and such).

Old 03-26-2007, 04:49 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well John. If ya bought 13 stamps for a cent and a quarter, What would one cost?

Old 03-26-2007, 07:42 PM
oneminizut
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Well John. If ya bought 13 stamps for a cent and a quarter, What would one cost?
Well now that sounds like a trick question. The real answer would be to add up 13 cents for the thirteen stamps, than multiply by 25 and you would get $3.25

But, you could also take each penny for each of the 13 stamps and add them to a quarter and you would get 14 cents times 25 which is $3.50

But truthfully, you would only get nada because stamps are 39 cents.

Also, If you really mean 13 stamps for a cent and a quarter, then the answer is 2 cents a stamp because you didn't specify that each stamp cost a cent and a quarter. 26/13 = 2

Last edited by oneminizut; 03-26-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:04 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man I stumped my math teather in school with that one. But ya got it Bud. 2 cents a stamp. A cent and a quarter is 26 cents. 13 goes into 26 2 times. Henchs 2 cents a stamp.

Quick Reply: I Need Some Help Please! With High School Math