Kenne Bell S/C for 460?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well believe it or not, about 2-3 months ago there was one on Ebay that fit the 5.0/5.8 truck engines. It never sold. I still have it saved on my watch list. It was set up for a 302 to use the 5.0 GT40 lower intake (round holes). Also had a custom idle bypass valve. Looking at the pics, it looked like it used the same intake plenum as the 460 version......the TB/plenum set sideways and went arounf the back of the blower on pass. side. If my truck has a 351 I would have jumped on it. I still cant believe it didnt sell??

Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Deerediesel
Oh thats awesome. A good friend of mine had one like yours but it was a '90 model, he kept in mint conditionfrom new to last year when he sold it somewhere in Tenn. Definitely dont see too many of that body style with 4 door anymore, especially in good cond. I just realized you have 5spd (duh it say it right below your name) instead of E4OD like mine. That might explain the seat of the pants power difference on lower end. I'm kinda of partial to manual transmissions myself. Ironically the only trucks I have now with man. is a '29 model A pickup and an '84 359 Pete. My dad bought a new F250 reg. cab with 460/ 5 speed , and 3.55 gears in Nov./Dec. of 1987. I think it was one of the very first EFI 460s built. I was only 8 years old but that is what turned me on to BB Fords. We still use it today on the ranch, appx. 250,000 miles later. It spent most of its life pulling a stock trailer. Incidently, my truck was built in Dec. of 1997. I would like to know how close it was to end of production, but how do you find that out? I see you also have a '80 with a 429.... never been around one. How do you like it compared to the 460's?

there is no comparing the 96 F350 460 and the 80 F350 429. the 80 only weighs 5200 w me in it, has 4:10, a high stall converter, and a manual valve body. While my 96 weighs 7200, has 3:55's and with it being stick you cant row thru the gears fast enough

Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
That just makes me want to build one now even worse than before. I've got an '80 F150 stepside 4x4 302 w/C6 my dad bought new and then I redid it in high school. My longterm plans were to build a 347 with a wieand mini blower, but lately Ive been leaing more towards chunking the small block going with a 429. Which cylinder heads does yours have? I have a set of C9VE heads I'm planning to put on a 460 going in our '86 F-700. I've tried to do a little homework on them comparing them to the Dove and D2's but the only diff I can find is mybe the C9's have a thinner deck?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
It is just a 71 THUNDERJET engine,stock cast iron intake, "RV"cam, L&L headeers and a 750 Holley. Cant rember the head numbers but they are the *****est heads that could of come from ford. When i do the engine over again i am getting aluminum ones

O and just so you know you need a "truck crank " to work in your F700. And as far as i can tell ford never made one for a 460. But if you put a 370 crank in a 460 you get a 429, that what I did in a F700

Old 12-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
gpfarrell, I know your original post is like 3 1/2 years old, but did you end up getting the KB that was listed on Ebay back in '07? I have been hunting for this kit since about 2006 and i can't believe I let that one sneak by....... So far I have found a kit for a 302/351 and one for a 454 chevy....but they wont do me any good I did call and purchase an install manual from KB. It has very good pics of the kit. Anyway I was just wondering. If you have any info I would love to hear it.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 AM
IcutMetl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is one on ebay right now; just went up yesterday. Sorry; I know it's an old thread.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ibeen watchin it. I wish I still had my 460 I'd buy it in a heart beat. I looked for two years for one, never even seen a real picture of one installed until now. BADASS!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 AM
IcutMetl
Senior User
I know; I set it up as an ebay saved search. Just can't do it right now; too many irons in the fire, as they say. When I first looked at it, it definitely had me thinking...

Old 10-31-2012, 06:07 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Man, before I put my vortech s/c on my 460 I said I would pay $4k for a KB kit. I still want to buy it but then I'd be forced to put a 460 in something and I can't afford it now, too many fast toys as it is.

I think the BIN he added at $2800 is very reasonable. KB wont even talk about these kits, they have no interest in them or parts or anything to do with 20 years ago stuff for dinosaur engines. The 460 KB kit is the holy grail of KB kits to be found. If I made 500RWTQ at 10psi on a 1.5L KB on a 302CI motor, think of what KB 10psi would do on 460!!! It'd be, what 650RWTQ at 2k RPM!?!?! Thats just insane, by me letting this KB pass by I will think about this forever as I searched over 2 years to find one.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
I think i'm gonna fn puke my guts out. Been looking and watching the world over for one of these and one finally comes up---- and like a fool thought nobody else would want it bad as I did. I came with in 1/2 a second of the buy it now last night and decided no im gonna hold out. Maybe i could save a few hundred dollars. I could kick myself so hard right in the rear. Been looking for about 6 years now-- this guy on ebay is the first I have seen other than my install manual. I never even had the $$ to purchase one until about a week ago and this thing pops up out of nowhere. Any of you guys know who bought it? ......................I' think i'm going into deep depression........

Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Big350
Freshman User
Sorry about that, we are the guilty ones. My son bought it for our truck. Yeah, I know how you feel. We had been looking awhile as well. Like you, I was thinking to just wait and see how the EBay auction would go but my son decided to just go for it. He had been in contact with the seller prior to buying. We also have an install manual from KB.

It is going on a 1996 F350, XLT, Crew Cab, 5 speed, 4WD, dually.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Cool, glad to hear someone on here got it. If you need any tips on getting the most power out of it let me know, I know those blowers through and through.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Well I will say I'm glad someone on here was the purchaser. I am still beside myself for letting it get away, but your son used better judgement than i did and didn take any chances. I hope he realizes what kind of treasure (in the EFI big block Ford community) he has got his hands on. The last time one of these was available was spring of 2007 from FTE user "Shami002". I have never been able to contact him and always wondered where that on ended up. And Ceetwarrior is right- the people at KB will not talk to you about jack. It nearly took an act of congress when i had them print me up a install manual to this kit several years back. I have called them several times over the years since about 2006 specifically trying to get info on these D-271 kits for the efi 460 and youd have thought I was a collection agency or something....everytime I called. If you guys are like me youve read the install manual cover to cover about 50 times, trying to imagine you actually had the kit in boxes in your shop waiting to be opened. I think I even posted some pics from the manual either on here of Ford-460.com.
Since I have been looking for one of these i have actually passed up 2 different centrifugal kits just like the one Ceetwarrior has. Ultimately, I know things happen for a reason, and this pretty much seals the deal for me. I think if another kit doesnt miraculously pop up somewhere soon, I am calling one of the Turbocharger companies.
I did ask the guys at KB if they had any idea how many of these kits they produced/sold, and they really couldnt tell me anything other than "oh dude we made those like 20 years ago dude, those are old". I may be way way off but Im gonna guess its a pretty low # like between 10 and 25. Who knows.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
One thing I will ask of you...... If you ever decide to sell or part with this blower set up please it on the forum first so somebody who will appreciate it will get a chance at it.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Icutmetl- my truck looks exactly identical to yours except mine is an automatic. I still have the factory ford alcoa wheels with hubcaps.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell S/C for 460?