1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Everybody's weekend progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
scottjo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody's weekend progress

So how is everyone doing on their projects? With all this good weather I just want to drive, but I'm still a lil ways to go still before the trucks road legal.

I got a little bit of time in on the truck this weekend. I got all the glass in the truck (by myself) the windshield and back window were NOT fun. And the new glass channel in the doors is soooo TIGHT! It is pretty tough to roll the glass up and down, I imagine that it will loosen up a little after some use.

So then I thought I had made some great progress and then I decided to check the compression on my 292....not good. It was 145,75,130,130,130,130,130,45 The two low ones had a little surface rust from sitting when I pulled the top end off. I honed them but never replaced the rings, but no smoke so they may come around still. Then I pulled the door back off to replace a door hinge pin, now I have to get a buddy to help put it back on. So I dunno if I actually made any forward progress. It looks like I will start the color sanding the weekend after Easter so if anyone wants to help there will be cold ones of your choice in the fridge.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:31 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
I spent Friday and Saturday running around, I had to go pick up a 38 Ford car suspension that I bought for $50. Sunday I finally got around to messing with my truck. I managed to get the donor bed floor cut down to size and roughly fit into my truck (se my thread "49 F1 my new bed floor")
I still need to cut an access door for the battery which I recessed underneath the bed and do a little weldig on the substructure, but its basically in place. I will need to make some sort of tie down for the ice chest though. After a test drive last night my frosties were sliding all over the bed

Bobby

Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 AM
56efffie
Elder User
Well I had to work the weekend but last week I was able to put the carb back on the Y after being rebuilt. I primed the carb and started cranking but no fire.
It was getting late so I didnt really get to check to see what was going on with that, however i did notice some gas leaking from the bottom of the carb/bowl when I would open the throttle linkage all the way. I may have just over filled the bowl? Will have to check today.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 PM
53 Effie
Senior User
Was asked to work overtime this weekend. Would have rather worked on the truck but also need the extra money to buy truck parts. Did get one evening to spend in the garage. Finally got all the unused holes filled in my frame. Started making boxing plates but my cheap $20.00 4.5" side grinder picked last night to meet its maker. Got a little warm. Second cheap one I go through since last fall. Will be buying a good one tonight.

Rick

Old 03-26-2007, 03:24 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
No truck related progress to speak of. I loaded 20K lbs. of scrap iron this weekend though, that could mean some green to spend on parts . If I keep on at this rate, I'll get my "junkyard" cleaned up soon.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
I made a new front panel for my bed this Saturday. Th eoriginal was badly bent and pitted.

I made it out of two pieces that I welded together to make it similar to the original in shape but without the seam on the outside.

I am making a tipping bed, hence the frame that makes up the base.
Sorry for the big pics, but I couldnt load them on FTE for some reason.

Lee

Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Lee,

Wow!! Your work is amazing!!

Nicely done
Bobby

Old 03-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Lwlandy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Bobby,

I wish I could take all the credit, it really helps having a friend who has a decent press brake to use to make all of the folds.

Cheers
Lee

Old 03-26-2007, 05:25 PM
48' fordster
Elder User
I drained all the fluids from the engine and replaced them then bought a new battery and tryed to start the flatty but i got no spark. bummer but other then that nothing done

Old 03-26-2007, 05:28 PM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 373 Likes on 160 Posts
i went out sat mourning and put both side's of my disc brake conversion together on the work bench.i wanted to see if i needed to move my grease zerk's before i put the steering knuckle's back on.i lucked out and don't have too.the right side zerk's are straight out and the left top is already at a 45 degree angle and the bottom zerk is straight out.i then started putting the left side knuckle back on and had to use all the shim's i had to take up the vertical clearance.i got it on and was going to clean up my tie rod's and paint them.that's when i found out it was bent.so today i order'd the heavy duty tie rod set and more shim's.now i am waiting on more part's.still not a bad sat.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
Saturday

I am working on replacing the entire braking system, I removed the MC and all the hard lines Saturday afternoon. I started to make new hard lines but broke my flaring tool. So I quit and had a few Adult beverages. Sunday morning I removed the PS front brake shoes, cylinder etc, cleaned everything and installed new shoes, springs, cylinder and hose. Greased every fitting I could find, then moved to the front DS and removed everything, the adjuster for that side is froze up. Its sitting in a jar of PB blaster right now and hopefully it will loosen up. At least I'm making some progress.

Dennis
52 F1

Old 03-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Wayne S
Elder User
I finaly got my brake lines secured to frame rails last week.I didn't do any work on the truck this weekend since I went to Bristol Tenn for Nascar races.I did get my mustang fuel tank mounted under bed today.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:41 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
Weekend progress

Got the PO's old plastic "FORD" emblem off of the upper front end bar and installed my shiny new proper "V8" emblem from LMC. Also, got my r/s mirror installed.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Burned brush on Sat., started to dismantle the Jeep carnage on Sun. Today was record highs, and snow is melting fast!!

Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I just made the animated picture in my signature.