New Jersey Chapter Join Chapter Leader: sddesigns

Offroading stories and pictures

Old 03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
WhozNxtLS1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offroading stories and pictures

Anyone ever offroad their trucks?? I've done a bit of offroading in Hainsport State Park, and Wharton's park. I just want to get some people to post pics of their trucks in the mud, and if you have any stories let me know

My one story comes about 3 months ago when I was offroading in Hainsport. I got stuck and a budy with a 94 blazer came to pull me out. He was tugging the chain to get me out, and gave it a small ****** to get me to budge. Chain broke and went right into my windshield. Was an interesting night.

I'm just trying to get some cool reading material and look at a few cool pics so just post up and let me see

Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,081 Likes on 2,151 Posts
i got a call that "my jeep is stuck. can you come over and pull it out??"
i go over to the kids parents house, and 5 people are standing there, looking lost. they climb into the back of my diesel, and off we go 1/2 mile down the road to the powerline cut.
i look in to see 2 dodge rams, i scout, and 1 blazer all lined up, stuck in a swamp. the jeep is nowhere in sight.
i made the dodge boys drag 400 ft of 5/16 casehardened chain out to the front ram, and hooked the other end to my tow hitch.
locked it in 4low, and drug all 4 out at one shot. (i was sitting on hardpack gravel)

then i went looking for the jeep. it was 250 ft out in the swamp. sitting nose down in a ditch. they put the chain over a log, then down to the front of the jeep, and strung out 400 ft of 5/16 and 12 inch regular chain. i put it in gear again, and ripped the front frame crossmember section off the jeep.

after they loaded all the chain back into my truck, i hit a hole on the way out in 2 wheel drive and stood on it, covering the rams with mud. (i had 40 inch super swamper's on it at the time)

it took 4 days, 2 chainsaws, and a bulldozer to get the jeep out.... from the woods behind and to the east of where it was stuck.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 PM
WhozNxtLS1
New User
That's what I'm talking about.

Another story on my half, I went ahead and got stuck out in Wharton's. Called a buddy of mine, he had a 78 f150 which I called to see if he had any friends that had a big truck to come get my truck out. Anyways, he comes out and the straps he was using were snapping from the front. He went to the back of the hole I was in and tried from the back. At this point I told him that he would not get me out and we'll call more people. He insists and tries snatching me out. Third ****** and I hear a huge bang. I get out to look at the damage. My buddies 78 f-150 is sitting there leaning to one side and the tire is cambered horribly. Damage was a broken lower ball joint, bent axle, broken brake line, and snapped caliper. I felt horrible, and after that called a tow truck. 360 bucks to come pull me out which took 5 minutes. Needless to say it wasn't a wonderful night

Old 03-01-2007, 06:38 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,081 Likes on 2,151 Posts
2 months after the swamp episode, the same jeep tried going through a farm field that was plowed and disced 3 days before. the only problem was that it rained like a son of a gun for 3 days. he got half way across the field before he sunk.
he called me again. out comes the 700 ft of chain so i could be on hard ground. on the 5th tug, the chain hook ripped through almost 12 inches of frame like a hot knife through butter.
off for the dozer again, and chained the front of the frame to the blade and lifted it out of the slop. thats when we saw the front driveshaft and front diff in pieces in the mud.

home it went again, but this time it got cut up for parts.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:00 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't off-road my current truck, as it's a 2wd crewcab. It gets dirty enough

Many moons ago several friends and I made an obsticle course "in the woods". There were four jumps, two were "natural" two we made with a bulldozer, there was a steep vertical climb up onto a ledge, then an equally steep drop on the other side that you had to drive down, lots of turns and twists, plowed out by the bulldozer. Some were banked correctly some were deliberately banked the wrong way so if you weren't careful, you'd roll over. And a couple of big rocks (a little bigger than a fully dressed big-block) put here and there. And of course the "mirror killer" which were two huge-**** oak trees that any full size pickup could "just fit" between, but if you were off even slightly your mirrors were gone if you didn't think to fold them in. The trees were towards the base of the vertical climb so to get to the top of the climb you had to be whipping between the trees.

Anyway, during one of my runs through this I was really, really whipping through as I've done this 200 times (i.e. a lot) so feeling comfortable and confident I'm pulling a good time. I get to the one jump that's across a ravine, and while screaming the rpms up the ramp my old 81 crewcab stalls and the front wheels which were in the air start to drop down abruptly as the rears which didn't leave yet are dragging and down I and the truck goes right onto the headlights/grill. WHAM! Then to make things worse, the *** of the truck kept going so WHAM again, onto the roof. I had a 5-pt harness and a driver's cage in the truck so I walked away with very minor injuries (sore this, sore that, bruises on my thighs from hitting the steering wheel when landing on the roof, bruises on my chest from the harness, etc). Took a while to upright the truck as the 48" tires resisted us rolling it over sideways. Went onto the side no problem, just not upright for a while.

Twisted like a pretzel. Once uprighted, after some futzing she started and I was able to drive the 2 miles home so I could go over the damage on another day.

Another friend was whipping through a different day, and approaching the two trees just before the climb at the required "quick pace" decided to correct just before the trees and wedged his bronco between the two trees at a slight angle. That took a while to clear out as well. It was really wedged.

Was a lot of fun, but unfortunately we went through a lot of trucks too. Ford, chevy, dodge, it was all good, all old trucks. The rules were simple - padded roll cage around the driver as a minimum, or the whole cab if you wanted, a helmet of any kind, and a 5-pt safety harness, a battery cut off switch and a fuel cut off switch easily accessable from outside, "just in case". I had an electric fuel pump so I used two battery switches side by side mounted in the passenger side wheel well.

A couple of guys quibbled about the rules, but it's private property so take it or leave it.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:39 PM
WhozNxtLS1
New User