1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Insurance...Finally

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:35 AM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Insurance...Finally

Finally, after months of searching, and calling, and e-mailing, I got insurance on the fire truck . I just got full coverage insurance on the beast from Safeco. They have an underwriter that will cover anything . You can choose to insure it as an antique, restricted use, or normal policy ( I went normal policy). $30 a month. The guy just asked the basic questions, and I told him that I do not have a climate controlled garage, and I want it insured as a truck, since to me it is just another old Ford truck (not really). He said ok, and boom there it is, full coverage insurance. I will be driving it into work tomorrow ( don't want to, but I just blew the fuel pump in the Beretta coming back from the grocery store tonight). FINALLY, I GOT INSURANCE .

Old 03-23-2007, 06:30 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

I was quoted a policy from one of the clasic car groups, Hagerty. This is also a fire truck. It was about 140 a year. But they also wanted a picture of the garage it would be housed in. Which was ok. All I had to do Was pull the dome off the gum ball light on the cab and the truck fit right in to the garage.

I have a 8' door. I have not purchased the insurance yet untill I get it running and a title.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:38 AM
jimhackney
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance

For those who may wonder who's out there for us antique/classic guys, mine is with Grundy http://www.grundy.com/ It is very reasonable and is "agreed value" so that if it is totaled you get the agreed value. You'll have to send them pics, etc.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
Joe,

Thats great! Glad to hear that things are moving forward for you

Bobby

Old 03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Great site Jim, my insurance will be $130.00 for 300K limit. I thought an agreed price should be 15K do you think this is high, low, or right on for my truck. I will have about $4500.00 in it when done. It could creep up to 5K. I would not want to place a value on my labor hours though. My truck is a 1951 F6 for those of you who don't know.

List of what been done:
new completely rebuilt engine
down to frame sandblasted primered and painted.
new master cylinder, all new brake lines and wheel cylinders
all new glass
traded for tires and rims
traded for radiator
cab is in process of finishing body work and being painted inside and out.
Picking up wrecker bed this weekend will need blasted and painted.
New brake booster

Still to do:
lots!

concrats on the insurance for the fire truck. It really helped me out today. The quote from my agent was $480.00

Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
The difference between major carriers and collector carriers is that major carriers allow every day use, while collector carriers is occasional use. Most collector carriers limit the amount of miles, but not Grundy. Being in the insurance industry, I researched a lot of collector car carriers in terms of coverage and limitations. I've found that Grundy provides more coverage and less limitations for the price.

I have my 52 Panel and 37 Airflow insured through Grundy at $10,000 agreed value each. My coverages are 100/300/50 for liability, $0 Comp deductible and $50 Collision deductible. Roadside assistance is included in the Comprehensive coverage. I also have UM/UIM coverage as well. Max limit in California for UM coverage is $3500. However, since I have Collision coverage and if I'm ever hit by an uninsured motorist, the UM coverage would cover my deductible.

My annual premium for the Panel is $93, while the Airflow is $55. The reason why the annual premiums are lower through collector car carriers is that the vehicle won't be used for daily activities and thus will have a less chance of being in an accident.

Just a word of caution, Agreed Value coverage is the maximum that the carrier will pay in a loss, no matter if it's totaled or repairable. With a major carrier, they would have to establish a value on your vehicle if it's ever totaled. This can become a huge nightmare because the insurance company will have a hard time coming up with the value of your vehicle since they're not used to finding comparable vehicles to establish the market value. I know this from experience. I had to settle a few classic car totals in my days.

So, do what I do and insure it with agreed value. Make your agreed value slightly higher than you think just to be safe. A few premium dollars are worth the extra coverage. I also increase my insurance by $1k every year.

Some major carriers can insure classic vehicles at an agreed value, but it would be a lot more expensive.

My last piece of advice when insuring your vehicle with an agreed value and you don't know what value to place, think of it like this: What would it cost you to replace your vehicle in the same condition as it is in now? I figure that for $10k each, I'd be able to by a replacement Panel and Airflow in the same condition that they were in before the accident. Obviously, I'd also keep salvage.

Just my 2 cents...

Ilya

Last edited by 51PanelMan; 03-23-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:10 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Great post Ilya, I figure if I did not do the work. My figure would be close. Ilya I really would like to know what you think of my value at 15K is it too high? I don't think the price will go down much if I make it 10K instead of 15K

thanks Kevin

Old 03-23-2007, 04:36 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
Value

Kevin, I'd go with the 15K. If they agree, after seeing the pics, you'll be well covered. (mine is at 10K) I think your labor hours should be included, as that is what would happen if you had to have the work done. As Panelman said, Grundy is not so fussy about driving your truck. As explained to me, you can drive all you want, except don't use it to go to work, haul stuff for hire, or don't use it to go get groceries, etc. What's left is "pleasure" driving, including going to shows.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:49 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ksmith203
Great post Ilya, I figure if I did not do the work. My figure would be close. Ilya I really would like to know what you think of my value at 15K is it too high? I don't think the price will go down much if I make it 10K instead of 15K

thanks Kevin
Kevin,

Your situation is a bit different. It's a lot harder to put a value on your truck because it's not a common truck. There are less larger trucks around and no one really restores them. You are a part of very select few.

I think that $10k-$15k would be fair, but Grundy would have to agree to it as well.

Ilya

Old 03-23-2007, 08:05 PM
wmjoe1953
Postmaster
I got a quote from J.C. Taylor, Hagerty, and a few others. The problem is, I didn't want a restricted use policy, and I don't have the money to build a climate controlled shop that is weather tight, and locked, just for the fire truck to sit in. I went with SafeCo, because it was still affordable, and I didn't have to jump through any hoops. I talked to the guy, he wrote itup, and bam, e-mailed me a policy for full coverage insurance with a $500 deductible, and I was ready to go. I was going to go with one of the others, but I DON'T like OTHER PEOPLE telling ME what I CAN'T do with MY trucks. The other companies are fine, and have awesome packages, but if you don't want to go with a restricted use policy, and be forced to send photos of it in a garage, call SafeCo.