Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

never let my idiot sister borrow your van

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:53 PM
DDesirableDDamsel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You for solving the mystery. I live near the KS, MO border and always hear both states refer to the other as the worse drivers. Apparently it is females in Iowa.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Wild Karrde
Senior User
Originally Posted by DDesirableDDamsel
Thank You for solving the mystery. I live near the KS, MO border and always hear both states refer to the other as the worse drivers. Apparently it is females in Iowa.
It's not just females... However I'll admit the worst drivers I've personally seen around here are older women (I'm talking senior citizen discount at McDonalds for the past twenty years).

Just about a week ago, I had one try to drive her brand new Saturn underneath my F-250 not once, but twice. First was a last minute lane-change into the turn lane I was already mostly occupying, nearly causing me to drive up over her trunk. After that, she turns left onto a 4 lane 1-way, into the closest (far left) lane, so I choose the far right lane (which I'd eventually need anyway to get to work). About two blocks down, she decides she doesn't like her lane anymore, so she cuts across ALL FOUR lanes, and once again nearly drives under my front tires. A quick evasive and I managed to get away from her. I sped up, passed her, and got back into my lane. Fortunately, I wasn't late for work that day, but had she managed to actually hit me, I would've been. I probably don't need to say it, but I was definitely in a bad mood most of that morning.

Some areas have a mandatory driving test for people over a certain age, and I fully support this. I know some people can reach well into their 90's and still be fine drivers, but a lot of them can't... I've had a lot more near misses from older drivers than from the young kids with their brand-new drivers licenses hot-rodding around.

I'll end this mini-rant now, since most of you probably don't really want to read it anyway. Though, I do feel better now. Apologies, and [/end rant]

Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 PM
DDesirableDDamsel
Junior User
I understand completely. Blue hairs are deadly!!!! I am a fast driver myself. I drive with both feet on the floor board. Not radical, or crazy, just fast. I don't apply make-up or make phone calls (I do that at home which is why I have to drive fast to make the clock at work) and I do wear my seat belt, I just like to get there on time.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:05 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I was living in South Dakota, there was regularly old timers pulling out in front of loaded grain trucks and getting killed. They just couldn't seem to realize that truck can't slow down fast enough, especially running pup trailers as well. I had one pull right out in front of me. I saw him coming, so I let him come out, and when he got into the lane, I hammered the brakes enough to make the tires squeal, scared him pretty good, hopefully enough to pay better attention...

Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 AM
tcbofade
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DDesirableDDamsel
I am a fast driver myself. I drive with both feet on the floor board.....
If that Kia had wings, you'd need a pilots license...

Old 11-06-2007, 01:08 AM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by forq2
Your sister sounds a lot like my gf. She thinks in one foot of snow, pouring rain, or dry weather she can stop 10 feet from the stop sign or inches from a persons bumper. She drives a damn honda too so I got her talked into getting a real american car next time. Got a kid comming so trying to get her to get something badass/family like.
If my old lady drove like that with my kid I'd buy her a moped, not something "badass". The last thing I would give her would be more HP, better handling, so she could drive more stupid.

I don't have to worry about that, i'm the one whose always hammering on the intrepid when i drive it. I always tell her i'm dusting it off, cuz she dives like a grandma.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 AM
DDesirableDDamsel
Junior User
I always tell her i'm dusting it off, cuz she dives like a grandma.[/QUOTE

Under big Ford Trucks???

Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
I had an old gal (92) pass me on HWY 1 coming into Fairfield as I was coming up to a red light (2 lane) and I figured she was going to run the red light in the wrong lane. I was almost at the light only doing about 10 MPH and she decided to change lanes into me. It put a big semi-circle in her roof starting at the right side of the windshield and ending at the rear door of the Grand Marquis she was driving. I just set the brakes on the old Frate Shaker (still at the light), and waited for the cops. She told the cop she thought she could pass anywhere.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:44 AM
Wild Karrde
Senior User
Originally Posted by Trail_Rider
She told the cop she thought she could pass anywhere.
Statements like this one make my head hurt. Sadly, I hear them all too often...