Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Will any fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:16 PM
cbsrab
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will any fit

I need to change the axle in the rear of my truck, I don't know if any axle will fit. It's a 86 Bronco 2 and the seal is leaking so I put a new seal on but it's still leaking so I checked it out and found a rust spot on it. So I need someone to tell me the right axle to replace the old one please. Thanks in advance, Clarence

Old 05-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Josh S
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Patience grasshopper. There's not a lot of activity in this subforum so sometimes it takes a little while to get a response. No sense making another thread on the same topic. Usually if the part/repair is shared with the Ranger (and the axle is) you will have more views/responses posting in the Ranger area. But since you're here...

Your Bronco II has a 7.5" rear axle that is common to all B2's and many early Rangers. In 1993 the 7.5 axle got about 2 inches wider but should still fit. Many people opt for the larger 8.8 rear axle out of a 4x4 Ranger or early Explorer but some modification is required since Explorers use a spring-under-axle setup and Rangers/B2's are spring-over. Later Explorers had rear disc brakes which can be a plus but necessitates more modification. There's a lot of good information on that here:

The Ford Ranger Axle & Locking Hub Library

I'm not sure if any Rangers/Bronco II's/Explorer's came stock with the 4.10 gears you mentioned in your other thread but it will be stamped on the axle tag. And of course if yours is a 4x4 you will need to change the front axle's gearing to match.

Maybe you want to go into a little more detail on your leaky seal issue first to see if anybody here might have an easier fix for you? Which seal is leaking? If your heart is set on changing out the axle then are you comfortable working with the leaf springs, drive axle, brakes, RABS, parking brake and so on?

Welcome to the forum.
Josh

Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 PM
cbsrab
New User
Will any fit

Sorry I didn't put the whole name of the truck (1986 Ford Bronco 2 Eddie Bauer) I'm not a license mechanic, so I hope I explain this right I don't want to change the whole axle, all I want to do is change the axle that the wheel attach to, I don't know the proper name of that part but that's where it's leaking. So please don't laugh at my explanation of what I need. There was no tag on the rear axle but inside the door they're a tag that say it's a D7 axle.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:23 PM
cbsrab
New User
For got to say Thank

Old 05-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Josh S
Senior User
There's no laughing from my end and I'm definitely no mechanic either. Yeah, I misunderstood if you're just looking for the axle shaft. Off the cuff I would think you could take donor parts from any pre-1993 Ford 7.5 axle assembly but a read through the link I attached earlier would be a good idea if you haven't started going through it already. That should tell you for sure.
Hope that helps.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 AM
cbsrab
New User
I'll continue to read and hopefully I'll get my answer, but I appreciate your thoughts and your help thank you very much

Old 05-09-2014, 07:51 PM
cbsrab
New User
Got the rear end today to change out the old rear and found out that it's a little longer then the one I took out. So what I would like to know is there any thing I can do to make it fix? The place I got it from don't take return.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Josh S
Senior User
Originally Posted by cbsrab
So what I would like to know is there any thing I can do to make it fix?
Sorry that's beyond my level of experience. Hopefully somebody who knows will chime in...

Were you able to find in that TRS technical section which 7.5 axle shafts should have swapped into your '86? I'd be interested to hear what your new part came out of that it didn't fit.

My Bronco II's out of commission at the moment too. Out in the garage right now trying to solve an electrical gremlin.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:24 AM
cbsrab
New User
I really don't know what it came out of they just have a bunch of rears laying around with a 4.10 gear ratio and a 7.5 ring gear and I didn't think about measuring the link.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 PM
jecsd1
Senior User
When you say rust spot do you mean at the pinion or axle shaft? Also is it on a surface that contacts the rubber portion of the seal or the part that holds the stationary metal rim of the seal?

More info please