Need some Y-block gu-ru advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by haten'chevs
Yep I'm here- I was at the tractor pull in Lincoln Ne last weekend so I'm just getting back around to this-

I like the look of your motor!!! I like the look of the 3 dueces more BUT I just KNOW I dont wanna **** around with them. I'm more of a start and go kinda guy!! How about 2 4bbls?? They bad to deal with?? How do I get ahold of John?? He got a website?? Great info- thanks for the heads up on the pistons!!! Pretty sure thats what I will end up doing on the bore. What factory 4 bbl manifolds fit?? From what I see on ebay they go cheaper then aluminum after markets, and painted would kinda go with the "look" I want I think. Is Ebay my best bet for parts??
Thanks
Rob
Rob, ebay can work out if you are patient and know the value of what your bidding on. I've been slightly stung a couple times but is has been overall a good source.
Yes three deuces look great! Almost each time I see them the first ride in a 64 GTO with 3 2's comes to mind, and it was the fastest thing I'd ever been in. Roger's motor is another great example. Very cool. However in my quest to keep life as simple as possible, one well working carburetor is enough.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Here is a pic of the dual quads on my 56. This is the edelbroc 257 intake. I had ram horns on it at time of the picture but now have headders. If anyone needs a set of rams these are for sale! ($400)

Kevin Bigwin

Old 03-30-2007, 09:39 PM
engineman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget about more than one small 4 bbl carb. You are building a truck engine for towing and you need bottom end, not top end. Even a good 2 bbl gives better bottom end because you don't lose your mixture velocity with full throttle at low rpm. You should find a steel crankshaft (I just happen to have a nice one) and a set of ECZ 312 rods. Get a set of HD 292 pistons and bore to the 292 size. If you can find a set of 113 heads or a good set of the HD 292 heads (they have the biggest intake valves and are posted to be able to stand extreme cylinder pressure) you will build a very agreeable and usable engine for your situation. Either the rams horns or the t-bird exhaust manifolds would be a good addition. By the way I also have a good supply of big valve heads. I dunno, these engines are like puppies, they keep following me home.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 PM
engineman
New User
Forget the multi carb setup for a towing truck. A small 4bbl of under 500 cu ft. would be ok, but really, a good 2 bbl gives the best low end because you don't lose the mixture velocity under low rpm full throttle. Get a good steel 292 crank (these were used on the truck engines and you may already have one, it is stamped C1TE) Also use the shorter ECZ 312 rods with the HD 292 pistons which have a higher top to compensate for the short rods. Don't forget that, the wilder the cam, the less driveable it is at low rpm with high load conditions. Actually a standard truck cam would drive the best. If you don't already have big valve posted heads, you should get some. These heads are "113" or the 292 or 312 truck heads after 1959 (I think). You will have a truck that will pull your load and be agreeable at it. A pair of rams horns or the t- bird exhaust manifolds will make it breathe a little better and sound a lot better. I have a good number of the parts you need, if you can't find them anywhere else. Problem is, I know what they are worth and you may be able to find someone who doesn't. Lots of luck with the project. I've been working on flatheads for over 50 years and Y-blocks since they first showed up.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 PM
engineman
New User
Forget the multi carb setup for a towing truck. A small 4bbl of under 500 cu ft. would be ok, but really, a good 2 bbl gives the best low end because you don't lose the mixture velocity under low rpm full throttle. Get a good steel 292 crank (these were used on the truck engines and you may already have one, it is stamped C1TE) Also use the shorter ECZ 312 rods with the HD 292 pistons which have a higher top to compensate for the short rods. Don't forget that, the wilder the cam, the less driveable it is at low rpm with high load conditions. Actually a standard truck cam would drive the best. If you don't already have big valve posted heads, you should get some. These heads are "113" or the 292 or 312 truck heads after 1959 (I think). You will have a truck that will pull your load and be agreeable at it. A pair of rams horns or the t- bird exhaust manifolds will make it breathe a little better and sound a lot better. I have a good number of the parts you need, if you can't find them anywhere else. Problem is, I know what they are worth and you may be able to find someone who doesn't. Lots of luck with the project. I've been working on flatheads for over 50 years and Y-blocks since they first showed up.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:38 AM
adharvey2
Senior User
Engineman, I hear what you're saying about the 2bbl keeping the charge velocity up at low RPM on a truck engine. I'm still wondering, however, about the potential for the (correct) 4bbl to maintain highway speed better when pulling a grade at 3000+ RPM. I'd sure like to have another 5mph at the top of the hill. What do you think?

Old 03-31-2007, 11:52 AM
engineman
New User
I think something in the range of 600 ft. with vacuum operated secondary would be ok. That way the secondaries open up only when the velocity is high.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM
cepurvis
Freshman User
From the Y-block site:
"The 1957 cam for supercharged engines was part number B7A 6250 C."

I thought I was the probably the only person on the planet that knew that number. I had to buy one for my '57 supercharged 312. Long, long ago.

Back to the 272 in a truck-- cubic inches are your friend, especially in a truck engine. Bore it out as much as practical to get more cubes. One small, vacuum secondaries, four-barrel will be much better than a multiple carb setup.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ya. What they said. Just found this thread. Very good info guy's.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:22 PM
f_ford_custom
Senior User
for a carb, Holley has a 390 cfm vac 4bbl. Thats only 200cfm from the primaries, and it shouldnt run out of breath (at 292ci) until 4500+. Its actually not that bad a carb, got one on my 84 Ranger 2.8 (171ci). I dont think the secondaries ever open, but it does pretty good for the engine size. Well, they open when the misses isnt around

Old 04-01-2007, 04:51 PM
kbart71
New User
So Here Goes Probably does not belong here per say but since i'm in IRAQ I cannot Start a new thread so Has anyone of you guys ever heard of a ford 430 CID y-BLOCK at least thats what it looks like (y-block I mean) I am wondering if I am being given bad info or someone simply dislexified the CID numbers Here is a picture I hope Nevermind can't go advanced for the post..... Looks like a Y-block with the ram horns and spider like intake and 45 degree mounted rear distibutor, any Ideas I am hoping to place this in my 1963 ford N-700 as the 292 I have is absolutely guttless and is supposed to be a rebuilt engine (Maybe they did one of the things I was just reading about on the y-block .com page in that they may have improperly placed the new timing gears???) (does anyone know if a Y will run at all with the gears placed with the pointers faceing each other like you would a newer FE Style engine when you replace the timing set) Ok so that was an awfull lot of question for one post I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions you guys have as I'm an FE type of guyu and the Y block and FT's are something totally new to me

Please Reply to Kbart-@hotmail.com

Old 04-01-2007, 05:25 PM
cepurvis
Freshman User
I think Lincoln made a 430 ci motor. Don't know if it is a "Y" block or not as it has been so long since I crossed paths with that one, I can't remember.

An N700 is pretty heavy by itself and by the time you load it up, I can see why you'd want more power than a 292. We had a '55 F600 with a 292, 4 & 2 and it did pretty good but it only had a 1000 gallon water tank on it.

Take care of yourself in Iraq. Never mind the news media and politicians ...we the people support you.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:41 PM
kbart71
New User
Thanks for the quick reply and the vote of support I appreciate it I don't have this engine yet 3 hours or so to go till the bid is up as it were I am hoping this thing will bolt into my bellhousing I currently have

Old 04-01-2007, 07:30 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
430 Mel

You are talking about a 430 cu in. motor that came in Lincs, Mercs, and Edsels. There were 383, 430, and a larger displacement. It wont fit your bellhousing. Parts are dfficult to find, and aftermarket parts support fairly nonexistent. With stock pistons they were high compression motors. Most of the piston offerings now are flattop. Motors had big torque numbers. A couple guys that post here are working on them and one poster just gave one away. Probably not a motor for the inexperienced, underfunded, or impatient trucker.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Correction

Sorry about that, but it should fit your bellhousing.

Quick Reply: Need some Y-block gu-ru advice