6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Safety Recall on 6.4L

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:49 PM
jarepackard
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To put this into perspective.... 8,000 trucks have been sold, 3 that Ford has confirmed had a mechanical issue that caused excessive fuel thus causing ignition in the tail pipe. All manufacturers will have turbo/fuel line and injector issues. It's impossible to have 100% of all parts perfect from the factory.

The percentage of 3 out of 8,000 trucks sold so far is a mere .000375% This is not even close to 1/2 of a percent. I'd say the reflash is the right thing to do in the RARE event you encounter a leaky injector/cracked turbo or problematic fuel line this will prevent any property damage from occuring and bring to light the problem that caused it in the first place. Definetely think this is being blown out of proportion. Ford could have probably done a better job on how they worded and lack of info given out on the recall to begin with.

One additional thing to add is that the cracked turbo issue resulted from operation in -20F temperatures without proper warm up in Canada....

Last edited by jarepackard; 03-23-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:55 PM
gretbigun
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doesn't Ford own a large portion of Cummins?

Old 03-23-2007, 07:11 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
For a start - Welcome to the site gretbigun!!!
Hope you like it

Secondly Ford doesn't own any part of Cummins. They used to own a small stake in them, but sold it about 15years ago (I think)

Old 03-23-2007, 07:37 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by gretbigun
doesn't Ford own a large portion of Cummins?
In the early 90's (1994 I think), Ford bought a 10% stake in Cummins. This was about 1.9 million shares of common stock. But as of January of '97, Cummins had bought back all the original shares from Ford.

Last edited by PowerStrokeHD; 03-23-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:42 PM
gretbigun
New User
thanks, yea, ,lots jumped on that quickly and set me straight, thanks.........another rumor was dodge building something to compete with the F-450 and 550 range with a mercedes engine,,,,,,any gossip about that?

Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 PM
TimHolt
New User
Yes and no. There is a 4500/5500 series trucks being devloped, may allready be on the market, but no Mercedes. It has the 6.7 Cummins, AISN 6 speed auto or 6 speed stick.

Also Sterling is doing a rebadge of the Dodge CTD with 10 lug 19.5s on it. It being sold right now. Its called a Sterling Bullet with the same 6.7 and trans options. But it will have 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88 gears in them. Same truck, different grill, tires and wheels.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
You can be sure it was more then 3 problem trucks,to get them to do a recall,it was only a month ago that someone posted that they were in manf. business and that ford did not have the pdf right yet and had got ext. on building the 6.0 cause they couldnt get the 6.4 right. I told you guys this was going to happen. I dont believe for a minute the 6.4 was tested the miles they say prob. on a dyno. Ijust feel bad for all the folks that bought the 6.4 cause this is just the start of the troubles they will have on the 6.4. my dealer told me dont buy one they dont even have one tech trained to work on the 6.4. when I say dealer I mean shop manager.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 PM
dapgar
Senior User
all the time they had before this engine came out to help make dealer techs aware of the engines and how to work on them. this ALL should b done prior to launching any new product. desting in a lab doesn't mean its REAL world.
by the time we the buyer get these trucks, there should be VERY minimal problems. i'm sorry but these aren't trucks costing 10 thousand bucks. they are expensive, many of us use them for work and can't afford downtime. so ford needs to wake up and realize they can't keep screwing up and then offer loyalty rebates to people to keep coming back.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:44 PM
David85
Lead Driver
So how would it be to use a mercedes diesel instead of navistar? I think international is already using them in some of their meduim duty trucks.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:50 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
YOU would think they learned from the 6.0 but they rushed the 6.4 to market with problems just like the 6.0, only this time many know about the 6.0 and dont trust ford, and ford will see that people who use there trucks to make a living, got to have dependablity and will not be taking another chance on the 6.4 after being snake bit on the 6.0

Old 03-23-2007, 10:00 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by scottman70
(So tell me, how would you suggest Ford fix this? I know, another rhetorical question. )

You ask how to fix the issue, stop using Navistar for engines and start using Cat or Cummins or Ford can engineer their own diesel engine!! Screw International!
Since you are quoting me...that is not what I was asking to fix. My "fix" question regards the current bad media and buyer perception. This will have to be addressed immediately. Not over the next 10 years.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
David85
Lead Driver
YOU would think they learned from the 6.0 but they rushed the 6.4 to market with problems just like the 6.0, only this time many know about the 6.0 and dont trust ford, and ford will see that people who use there trucks to make a living, got to have dependablity and will not be taking another chance on the 6.4 after being snake bit on the 6.0
It seems to me that each of the diesels that ford offered had one problem or another:

The 6.9 had block cracks and glow plug issues

The 7.3 had cavitation of the cylinder wall

The 7.3 powerstroke had injection problems that sometimes led to lubrication falure

The 6.0 had some of the same problems as the 7.3 and then some, but was more economical

The 6.4L just seems to carry on that pattern. Feel free to correct me if anyone thinks otherwise, but it seems like as soon as all the bugs are worked out of one of these engines, ford desides that they are obsolete, and the whole thing starts all over again!!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:19 PM
TimHolt
New User
Originally Posted by David85
So how would it be to use a mercedes diesel instead of navistar? I think international is already using them in some of their meduim duty trucks.
I dont think so, but I could be wrong. But engine make options are availabile in the big meduim duty and bigger. Freightliner 2500/3500 vans, now a rebadge Dodge van uses a 5 cyl Mercedes engine and trans. A common rail blue tech that is too small for the large pickups. Daimler Benz is a family of Daimler Chrysler which also owns FreightLiner that has aquired part, if not all of Sterling. Because of that the chances of Ford getting Mercedes engines are nil to none. Also an expensive venture to boot, besides the right size MB engine not being TierIII compliant yet, would make better sense that Dodge would be running them. Dodges better deal is the Cummins.

There are several engines right now that are not TierIII compliant yet and Cat is a large offender. The Peterbuilt plant here in Denton is completely shutting down one facility and idling another untill these new compliant Cats get there. They cant build Petes without engines. The other is still installing the Cummins.

Cats in trouble, Peterbuilt is in trouble. Several lines of the Navistar isnt compliant yet as well as Detroit. All of the Cummins lines now lead the compliant list.

Ford/Navistar cheated on the EPA regs with the 7.3s and got away with for years`untill the big gov officials got too tight and heads rolled. GM also did the same with the 6.5 turbo. Then things got tight on the federal regs and changes had to be made and FAST. The 6.0 was rushed to market and so was the Dmax. Cummins only did a fuel system change and also thumbed their nose at the rest by not only making compliancy, they did it with no Cats or EGR in 03 and early 04 except for the Cali model SO with a cat. They also did it with an engine standard used in 1988.

The Dmax had several major changes and the 6.0 is now a 6.4. However the new Cummins 6.7 may have its own problems IF someone mods that engine. Its siamese cylinder block is not a first for gassers, but is for a diesel. Left alone it will be fine. Mod it and a replacement is $14,000.00. The 5.9 could not make TierIII so the 6.7 came about in its place. This engine is not so simple anymore, even tho you can still see the engine when you open the hood, unlike the 6.4, it has several new components on it. For those of you that wish for a OEM Ford Cummins, it may not be a good wish. Altho it admittedly may be a better wish than the 6.4 Navistar.

The diesel world has changed, forever, and their is no turning back. But ALL of the truck and engine manufacturers need to slow down and plan better instead of rushing new tech to the market. Doing so has caused lots of problems with several lines, not just Ford light truck, but big rigs as well. Now instead of being the first to be on the market, they (Ford) is first for another black eye on an allready broken arm.

And just for a little more info. According to the developers of the piezo injector, the new tech is here but not without problems. This is public knowledge that was published in trade mags as far back as two years ago. The fuel quality in the US is going to wreak havoc on these new piezo injectors. Not the amount of sulphur, fuel cleanliness. The sulphur only affects the new particle trap and cats. Injectors and EGR system are affected by fuel quality. This was an admitted problem then and its showing now. You would think that as much as we pay for fuel now, we would have the best. We dont, Europe does.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I wonder...if I owned a 6.4L PSD...

Would I?
-OR-
Would I NOT?

Get the PCM reflash???

Humm...

biz

Old 03-23-2007, 11:37 PM
thexman
Junior User
Alright, i only read the first 3 pages of this thread.

Anyway, all you that bought 2008 6.4's are dumb azzes.

I was a dumb azz in 2003 with the first 6.0.

I will NEVER buy a new engine model truck.... ever.... again.

Yeah, it gets fixed under warranty, but who wants their truck in the shop where you can't use it.

I hope Ford makes it though this.....

I like Ford.

I finally got smart and sold my 2003 and bought the last of the good diesels, I 2007 6.0 F250..... yeah....

Quick Reply: Safety Recall on 6.4L