6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 12 million miles of testing !

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Specracerford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 12 million miles of testing !

I have a 6.4 on order and been wondering if I've made a mistake or not with all the negative threads. I spoke to the dealer I ordered through and he informed me that he's on the steering commitee for the 6.4 and that the motor has been tested for 12 million road and dyno miles. I have confidence in him because he's a fellow racer and he priced the truck at what must be a next to zero profit margin. Hope this puts some new 6.4 owners minds at rest.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:17 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Just remember you have a warrenty and if it goes in the shop more than three times for the same thing you can use the Lemon law to get you out of the mess. Otherwise I would just not read any of the negative threads and if you do take it with a grain of salt......After all its the first year of production so you have to expect some bugs.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
xrayford
Freshman User
Talking

My dealer told me the same thing when I ordered my 03 6.0. They said they had many millions of trouble free miles. It would set a new standard in diesel engines. I must have got the one that had all different stuff and no testing. Nothing but trouble. Believe what you want, dealers will say anything to sell a new truck. I can say my 06 has been perfect after they replaced the turbo and egr valve at 1500 miles. I now have 17000 miles and no more trouble, just a little hard to start sometimes. Nature of the best. Work it hard and you should not have any trouble. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 PM
f450/2008
New User
get to gate and get your 08 and enjoy,i have just picked mine up and love it .......you go man

Old 03-21-2007, 09:00 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
f450/2008, Welcome to the FTE
Create a gallery and post some pics of your 450

Old 03-21-2007, 09:57 PM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
My 6.0 since the head gaskets were replaced (my own fault) pulling 16K enclosed with the chip turned all the way up LOL it has been problem free and I drive the crap outta my truck I dont understand how people who drive them very little have trouble when I just absolutely rape mine and it dont break.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Strut61
Senior User
Welcome F450/2008.........what "utahtom" said!

Pictures man, we need pictures!!! Enjoy your new toy!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:58 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess in all those miles of testing they some how seamed to miss the whole flames shooting out the tail pipe thing...lol

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ps-recall.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...8-diesels.html

Old 03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Mark Oomkes
Senior User
LMAO Shhhhh. Not supposed to point that out.

New standard in diesel, I agree, the 6.0 did set a new standard. Most reflashes, most re-engineered, most pissed off owners.

PS Better tell your dealer to get a new steering wheel, cuz this one's going in the wrong direction already.

Last edited by IB Tim; 03-30-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Specracerford
New User
I have to admit, this last recall is causing me to rethink picking up the 08 truck. The last thing I need is the damn thing breaking down while pulling a loaded trailer. I have a perfectly good trouble free truck that I may hold onto for a couple more years.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Astrovan Man
Freshman User
My understanding from FORD ENGINEERS (Who I am Close to) is that the 12 million miles were tested on a Truck Simulator at the FORD LABS. (Just like the ones that are used by pilots to fly Aircraft) That way you can do all your tests in a heated building and just use the air conditioner to cool down the room for severe wheather conditions.

CO2 Fire Extingushers were used to make snow, water sprinklers for rain. All these simulations were under Ford Warranty. That way you don't need a budjet for travel, fuel or over night stays in a hotel. Simulators are always used by FORD to test vehicles. If your Ford breaks after you get it, just take the truck in for Warranty repairs.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Mark Oomkes
Senior User
Originally Posted by Astrovan Man
My understanding from FORD ENGINEERS (Who I am Close to) is that the 12 million miles were tested on a Truck Simulator at the FORD LABS. (Just like the ones that are used by pilots to fly Aircraft) That way you can do all your tests in a heated building and just use the air conditioner to cool down the room for severe wheather conditions.

CO2 Fire Extingushers were used to make snow, water sprinklers for rain. All these simulations were under Ford Warranty. That way you don't need a budjet for travel, fuel or over night stays in a hotel. Simulators are always used by FORD to test vehicles. If your Ford breaks after you get it, just take the truck in for Warranty repairs.
This whole attitude of "if it breaks, it's under warranty" needs to go. Do you know who is paying for that warranty? You are, I am, whoever buys the truck is. Just build the damn thing so it doesn't break and I don't have to waste my time bringing it in for warranty work.

Next, my trucks are used for work. My family, my employees, my employee's families, my customers are all depending on these trucks. I perform landscape, snow and ice management. I can't afford to have a truck break down for something stupid that wasn't tested in the real world under real conditions in the middle of a snowstorm. My customers could give a crap less about warranty work, they want the snow plowed and the ice melted. Not "I bought a Ford and despite the flamethrower at no additional charge I was not able to plow your lot and so sorry your employee slipped and fell and cost you worker's comp and a customer slipped and fell and now is paralyzed". Yes, I know, extreme, but do you get the point? I NEED a reliable truck. I can't afford to have trucks going in for warranty work on a regular basis or even halfway regular basis as 1 of my 6.0's already has. It's an '04 that has been down a total of 2 months for different repairs and still has a 5-10 second turbo lag because they won't replace all the injectors.

As for the testing, if that's true, then there's even more idiots at Ford that need to fired, yesterday. How much would real world testing cost compared to the warranty claims caused by non-real world testing? Bet they'd be millions of dollars ahead right now if they would have really tested them in the real world.

Assuming what you say is true. Not saying it isn't, but it is the Internet after all.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:29 PM
carm_scaffidi
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
This whole attitude of "if it breaks, it's under warranty" needs to go. Do you know who is paying for that warranty? You are, I am, whoever buys the truck is. Just build the damn thing so it doesn't break and I don't have to waste my time bringing it in for warranty work.

Next, my trucks are used for work. My family, my employees, my employee's families, my customers are all depending on these trucks. I perform landscape, snow and ice management. I can't afford to have a truck break down for something stupid that wasn't tested in the real world under real conditions in the middle of a snowstorm. My customers could give a crap less about warranty work, they want the snow plowed and the ice melted. Not "I bought a Ford and despite the flamethrower at no additional charge I was not able to plow your lot and so sorry your employee slipped and fell and cost you worker's comp and a customer slipped and fell and now is paralyzed". Yes, I know, extreme, but do you get the point? I NEED a reliable truck. I can't afford to have trucks going in for warranty work on a regular basis or even halfway regular basis as 1 of my 6.0's already has. It's an '04 that has been down a total of 2 months for different repairs and still has a 5-10 second turbo lag because they won't replace all the injectors.

As for the testing, if that's true, then there's even more idiots at Ford that need to fired, yesterday. How much would real world testing cost compared to the warranty claims caused by non-real world testing? Bet they'd be millions of dollars ahead right now if they would have really tested them in the real world.

Assuming what you say is true. Not saying it isn't, but it is the Internet after all.
Your points make sense to me and I completely agree with them.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:08 PM
alfama351
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes

Been there done that, My 04 was a big headache, from 5k to 36k, in and out of the shop more times than I care to remember.
I tried to get a new truck from ford but they wouldn't budge, they did extend my warranty to 100k, at the time 2 years ago this was all done by phone and when I asked for paperwork to back up my extended warranty I was told it would be in the computer at the dealer the next time I go in for service.
Now at 60k I needed warranty work and the dealer informed that Ford did in fact extend my warranty, not 100k but 75k, now it's my word against theirs.
I'm gonna look real hard at the other companies before I buy my next truck, keep on mind that my last dozen or so trucks have been ford products.
BTW every time the truck was down, it hurt my business

Old 03-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
it was a typo was 1.2 miles

Quick Reply: 6.4 12 million miles of testing !