Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Yippee!!! Finally broke a manifold stud (or two)

Old 04-26-2007, 08:29 PM
douglee25
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ford9991
Thanks for your post here , I read through it and decided to order the banks system , shortly after you started working on yours. I had 4 studs broken on the manifolds that I could see before I started. I ordered the banks power pack for my 99 v-10 it included from the headers back , not including the cat, or intermediate pipe. At the same time I got the banks auto mind, and trans command. It was a great weekend project, I ended up with 10 broken studs 7 were sticking out of the heads a 3 were broken inside, after buying a 2 hundred plus dollar makita right angle drill to get in the tight spots (only one I could find in the area) they came right out with an easy out, actually one started spinning in as I was drilling it. I have pics of everything and will post when I figure out how. Awesome upgrade, though a little expensive its worth it, makes towing a lot better, and a nice tone to the exhaust.
Keith
Did the studs come with the kit? I recently purchased a SD with a banks kit on it just like yours. I have not checked whether or not the studs were replaced. Thanks again.

Doug

Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 AM
ford9991
New User
Hi Doug

Yes the kit came with bolts instead of studs , they seem to be good quality, and should be for the price of the kit , so they will most likely hold up well, fingers crossed.
Keith

Old 04-27-2007, 07:14 AM
douglee25
Junior User
Originally Posted by ford9991
Hi Doug

Yes the kit came with bolts instead of studs , they seem to be good quality, and should be for the price of the kit , so they will most likely hold up well, fingers crossed.
Keith
Thanks Keith. I'm pretty sure I saw bolts just checking the engine over, but I wasn't sure. I do love my Banks kit though. It sounds like thunder when it starts up in the morning for the first time.

Doug

Old 04-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Originally Posted by krewat
One thing about the "Improved throttle response". It might not be as big a jump as I think it is for one reason.

The old manifolds WERE leaking. When you have a manifold leak, you loose throttle response (low-end). So, I'm comparing leaky stockers to non-leaking headers.

However, I do still feel a difference compared to before it leaked.

Hey Art, are you getting PM's from wives telling you to down play the headers?

Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Antelope V-10
Hey Art, are you getting PM's from wives telling you to down play the headers?
Uh no, but come to think of it, my ears have certainly been ringing the last few weeks...

I have this strange bruise on my stomach... like I've been kicked with pointy high heels. Either that, or it's the lug studs from the driver's side where I was fighting with the header that wouldn't line up

Or Voodoo...

Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Took it to my favorite place for burnouts today.

Usually, I have to power-brake it a bit to get both tires to break loose.

Today, I was able to just stand on it and spin both tires. Not a huge burnout, but I did get a fishtail out of it, which is more than it used to do with the stock manifolds.

Soon, I'll be able to do the y-pipe.. should be interesting.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Another observation about the performance.

Where I used to be able to tell exactly when the torque started falling off shortly after 3250 (peak torque point), I can tell that now it's pulling way further in the RPM range than it used to.

Maybe no more peak torque, but it definitely pulls much further up into the RPMs before it falls off.

Before, say 3500-3800 when it started falling off, now it pulls way into the 4800RPM range.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:55 PM
metalman1320
Elder User
Another observation about the performance.

Where I used to be able to tell exactly when the torque started falling off shortly after 3250 (peak torque point), I can tell that now it's pulling way further in the RPM range than it used to.

Maybe no more peak torque, but it definitely pulls much further up into the RPMs before it falls off.

Before, say 3500-3800 when it started falling off, now it pulls way into the 4800RPM range.
Your killin me man..... I'm pinching every nickel to buy a house, and your going on and on about all this power......your a cruel man Art, a cruel, cruel man...........ahhh, if I'd only stayed single........

Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Well, it's not "a lot of power"...

There is a marked difference... it pulls further up the RPM range.

So, don't get all twisted up inside

Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Antelope V-10
Elder User
Well, it's not "a lot of power"...

There is a marked difference... it pulls further up the RPM range.

So, don't get all twisted up inside

Another PM form a wife?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:35 PM
bkaser90
Freshman User
How bout an update, ever do anything with the y pipe? Does anyone have an idea if any of the headers would fit an E-series? (banks, thorley, or others?)

Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I did not yet do anything with the Y-pipe - maybe in the spring.

As for the E-series, someone was looking into it, but found that the frame is different, or something else was in the way... The E-series is pretty cramped around the engine compartment...

Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM
bkaser90
Freshman User
damm, I have a bunch of broken studs and was hoping if that if I go through the trouble of getting the stock manifolds off I would want to put headers back on. I also though maybe the E and F-series were built on the same frame so it might not be a big deal, but looking at your pics, it does seem alot tighter in my van. Do you know of anyone with experiance fixing the stude in a van? I was thinking it might be easier to unbolt the body from the frame and try to lift the body off as much as possible to get to them. ugggh. no way is this gonna be any fun at all.

Btw krew, where abouts on L.I. are you? I am over in Babylon.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:05 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by bkaser90
Btw krew, where abouts on L.I. are you? I am over in Babylon.
Lindenhurst. Just north of Montauk Hgwy, just south of Hoffman Ave. Two blocks off of Delaware.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
bkaser90
Freshman User
Lindenhurst. Just north of Montauk Hgwy, just south of Hoffman Ave. Two blocks off of Delaware.
jeez, I'm right around the corner, off 109, just south of Sunrise. Perhaps I can bribe you with a bunch of beers when it comes time to fix my broken studs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yippee!!! Finally broke a manifold stud (or two)