Sponsored by:

Getting out Axle pivot bushings

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2002, 05:56 PM
djbaines
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Getting out Axle pivot bushings

Any clever methods for getting the Axle pivot bushings out? the parts store doesn't have any tools, and my biggest socket isnt large enough to fit over the large end (I was thinking of using a large socket as the part that I'd press the bushings into by using a 3/8 bolt and large washer on the smaller side, and just cranking...).
Do they sell any other tools that would work for Both of them?
Thanks

Old 06-09-2002, 11:21 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a 3/8" drill on mine. I drilled out cores of rubber between the inner metal sleeve and the outer edge of the bushing, all the way around. After removing a decent amount of the rubber this way, the bushing became loose enough to tap out with a hammer and large screwdriver. I used a polyurethane replacement, so putting the new one in was as simple as smearing on a light film of grease and tapping it in.

Old 06-10-2002, 09:17 PM
Mexray
Senior User

Don't know where you're located - here in Calif there is a cheapo, imported tool company called 'Harbor Freight'. You could probably also ask at your local parts store if they rent a bushing press.

Harbor has a $30 ball joint/bushing press in/out kit. It's a big c-clamp affair with several sleeves and adapters.

I used this kit to press out/in new ball joints on the steering knuckles. I then used it to press out the axle pivot bushings. It worked great - it presses out the center core and the rubber bushing. The outer shell stays in place. The poly bushing kit I had fit right into the old pivot bushing shell with the new inner steel bushing.

While the pivots were loose, I also replaced the radius arm bushings. I used a come-a-long to pull the axles forward just enough to remove/replace the bushings. This method is far easier than drilling out the rivets on the frame brackets and rebolting.

don't forget to have the front end checked for alignment if you do the radius arm bushings. You have to have the toe-in checked in any event if you have done any front end component work.

Old 06-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Mexray
Senior User

almost forgot...

I wrote this procedure up a couple of months ago...do a 'search' on this board for 'pivot'...

my posting is titled 'Finished front axle work - 89 XLT' - just click on it to get the whole front end fix...good luck

Old 06-11-2002, 12:29 PM
djbaines
Freshman User

Thanks for the advice. I made what amounted to be a press, and got the old stuff out, and used it to press the new sleeve in. What a ROYAL pain in the butt, though, from start to finish. I only did one side, and it didn't fix the problem I'm experiencing, so it's needless to say that I won't be doing the other side.
I remember when I used to enjoy doing work like this, but that was on my Toyota 4X4's, and it's because they were upgrades that weren't necessary. With Ford products, it's always necessary to fix something that's either broken or worn out, usually about once every few weeks.
I decided to try Ford, but it's just something all the time with mine. Sure, parts are cheaper, but not with the frequency that they have to be replaced, which is just my experience with Ford. They nickel and dime ya to death!
Nope, I'm going back to Toyota, and I never should've left 'em! I'm done with this ford garbage.
But ya live and learn from your mistakes, and for me owning a ford is definitely a mistake!

Old 06-11-2002, 02:38 PM
TheGreep
Junior User