1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

F150 V8 Triton Engine Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 09:31 PM
F150_1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone I'am fairly new at this so please forgive me if I don't know. I have f150 v8 triton engine. The problem with my truck is when I'am driving at around 45 miles an hour it starts staling on me like if it wants to shut off. I have taken it to 2 mechanic's and both have looked at me like if I was crazy. They tell me the did not find anything, but when I'am driving on the highway I feel it. Also now when I come to a complete stop its doing it too. I just feels weird like if it was going to shut of on me while I'am driving it. It started doing that after my mechanic changed the spark plugs on it. I took it back to him, but he just told me that if there was not engine light on he could not trouble shoot it. Please if this is happening to anyone out there I need your help. I love my truck and I don't want it to get any worse. Again I don't know to much so if you can be specific I would really apriciated.

Thank you
F150_1 :-X12

Old 11-14-2002, 10:00 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I took it back to him, but he just
>told me that if there was not engine light on he could not
>trouble shoot it.

He is full of digested food and needs to expell it. Sounds like he didn't get the system fully back together and he needs to look at it again.

How closely did the other mechs look at it?

Old 11-15-2002, 05:00 AM
F150_1
New User

Thank you for you fast reply. The other mechanic was at the Ford dealer and they wanted to rape me just to look at it if you know what I mean. I know it has to do with the spark plugs in there some where, because it started happening just after he change them. I also think the gas filter maybe has something to do with it. Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2002, 05:02 AM
F150_1
New User

By the way that is a really nice truck.

F150_1 aka Nelson :-X12

Old 11-15-2002, 08:55 AM
als150
New User

Only because you mentioned it, if it started after he (the mechanic) installed the plugs, that would be the first place to check. Perhaps a coil was not seated correctly. Check the connections for the leads going to the coils or have him re-check his work. There are a couple of things that can happen when changing plugs. Improper gap, faulty connection at the coils.

If you can, give some more information, maybe someone here can help ya out more.

Good Luck,
Al

Old 11-15-2002, 01:28 PM
geoaigel
Elder User

As others mentioned, if the ignition system was fiddled with and right after that was done there are problems, that is the first place to check:

Did you only change the spark plugs or also the wires? Might the wires be old and might handling them to change the plugs have pushed them over the edge? A hairline crack in a wire insulator is all you need to get into trouble. If you don't have new wires, I'd install a set and see if that helps.

Then I'd go change the fuel filter, unless it has been done recently. I know, it probably has nothing to do with the recent tuneup work, however sometimes things just happen in coincidence.

Cheers, George

Old 11-16-2002, 08:23 AM
e_golem
New User

This is a first time thing so don't think me stupid. I'm just getting to know my Ford as my daddy told me never to buy one and the one I do happens to be the problem child of the company. I had a similar problem with my 97 F150, only I have the infamous 4.2 V6. (Don't laugh, I didn't know and I wanted a truck). Mine went so far as to cut off while I was driving at 40 mph several days in a row. After having it towed because I was afraid to drive it and the computer reset it never actually cut off again, but not for lack of trying. A few months later I got tired of it acting up, decided to spend the money and did some digging along with my mechanic into the problem. $300 later and about 4 days of pulling our hair out, we found what seems to be the problem. 4 out of 6 egr ports were stopped up on the upper intake. My mechanic kept calling it the plenum and we agreed that it's a dumb design. It's almost guaranteed to clog with any kind of debris.

After a quick cleaning and change to the new plastic feedback exhaust sensor (my older metal one was rusting) she runs good. I think she's still a little loud, but this seems to be a common complaint with 4.2's and it doesn't affect the performance. With 114,000 on the original engine I guess this minor problem is to be expected.

Like I said, don't know if this will help, but it could be food for thought.
Good luck.

Old 11-19-2002, 12:49 PM
F150_1
New User

I will like to thank everyone that has replied to this matter. There is no such thing as a stupid answer or question. That is what we are here for to help each other with everything. I don't know much about trucks, so I came her to learn and I hope I do. So in another message I can help others as I have been helped. I will try the suggestions on this weekend and let everyone know what happen. As far as taking it back to mechanich I don't think so mechanichs good or bad they will lie to you one way or the other. Even though I like the last mechanich I went to he gave the work to one of his helpers and that is a no no to me. But there is nothing I can do about that, because he is very busy too. I think my best bett is to learn about my truck and do most of the work myself. So I apriciate all the help that you guys have given me.

Thank you

Old 11-25-2002, 10:23 AM
F150_1
New User

Well went home this weekend and tried some of the things segested and still having the problem. Only not as bad as it was before. I had a spark plug wire that was not tightened. In what order do you take the parts off please anyone that can help me. The fuel injerting bar is right on top of the spark plugs. Why did for do this its so crazzy. Another thing the last spark plug how do you take it out. I guessing by the looks of it you have to take out the fuel injector bar that's on top ot the spark plugs to take out the spark plugs. The only thing I was able to do this weekend was really check the wires to be proberly connected to the spark plug and changed the egr valve, because it gave me a code problem of 402 and 405. It rides a little bit better but still I have that boggle down at about 40 miles an hour when I hit the gas to go faster. Please if there is anyone that has had this problem or knows someone that had this problem help me. Its driving me crazzy to feel my BABE F150 doing this. I don't know to much, but by the time I'am finished with it I will. I'am learning as I go along so please give me detail if possible.

Than you
F150_1

Old 11-25-2002, 11:35 AM
daven
Junior User

Old 04-24-2003, 07:41 AM
sweetlb
New User

Not sure if anyone is still checking this posting. I have a 97 F150 4.6L. 2 months ago the check engine light came on and ran sluggish. Lot less power. Ford dealer said need new air filter and cleaning the air filter duct. 2 weeks later, check engine light back and sluggish. Same ford dealer said need new wires. they changed them and i was off. 2 weeks later, check engine light back and loss of power. took it to ford (AGAIN) and he said i had a cracked spark plug. they replaced the one and i was off (no charge. That was nice of them). that weekend, i changed all the plugs (I saw the previous article about changeing the plugs. It's a pain, but you can do it). still have the check engine light and loss of power. This time i took it to a local guy down the street.
He told me i needed a tune up. I said what does that involve? he said Plugs, wires, filter. I wanted to scream. after i embarrassed him telling him all that is done, he replaced the coil. 2 weeks later, check engine light and loss of power. I went to Autozone and asked the counter person if he ever heard of such a thing. he told me that F150's around this year are notorious for gunk build up in the plenum. that promtped me to search for Plenum on this site. this weekend i plan to go through it. also, call Ford and ask, if you billed me to replace and clean the air filter, does that include the plenum?
If anyone has any feedback on this, i would love to hear it.