1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07' to 08' tailgate swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
truckchop
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' to 08' tailgate swap

Hey Yall, anybody know if you can swap an 07' tailgate for an 08' factory fit, and if you can how much would it cost? Thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
schmidt64
Elder User
The box is the same so it should bolt right on. Call your dealer for prices.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:41 PM
truckchop
Junior User
well i talked to someone in the parts dept. at my local ford dealer., and he told me the new 08' tailgate would be arond $350.00 alone, just primered not painted. but he wasnt sure if it was a direct fit.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It should be an absolute direct swap. And as easy as it is to remove our tailgates, shouldn't take more than two minutes.

Not sure on pricing, although I know tailgates are expensive! Might want to check through www.powerstrokeshop.com or with Ed at Discount Ford Parts (who is a site sponsor: http://www.discountfordpartsaty2kford.com/) to see if they can help you out. Otherwise through a dealer is probably the best bet. I'd guess that a painted, ready-to-go tailgate would be upwards of $1250...

Old 03-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Ratical
Junior User
I'm in Tn and most dealers I've contacted says list is $305.68 Without intergated Step. (But thats Just the Shell.) and can get it no problem. What I'm curious about is what Hardware we need, Will just a Handle work or will we have to purchase the strikers also. My local dealer dosent have one so I'm gonna try and look at one next time I'm in another town. Any info you all can gather will be Helpful. Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 02:15 PM
rwhite692
Junior User
It is an easy swap, what I would call a "very nearly direct" swap.

I am in the middle of doing this swap right now (08 gate onto an 07). I just painted the gate to match my truck yesterday and it will be going back onto the truck one evening this week. (I did a test fit before prepping the gate for the re-paint).

I purchased a 2008 tailgate locally (with step, which was my main reason for doing the swap) which was a new take-off. These are tough to find, but if you are patient, you can find one locally, and it is getting easier every day as more 08+ trucks hit the road.

BamaSixGun over on the Super Duty Forums did an excellent job of documenting the inexpensive hinge parts needed:

TikiWiki : 2008 Non-Step Tailgate Conversion

You won't need the "insert and washer" unless it is missing from the 08 gate that you get, or, as BamaSixGun did, you buy the gate shell new and "nekkid", from Ford.

Having tested it out, I can say that the tailgate step works awesome! For me, with a bad knee, it's a godsend... I can't just jump up in there or climb up the 'ol tire, like I used to...

Hope this helps
Rob

Old 09-08-2008, 02:36 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
It should be an absolute direct swap. And as easy as it is to remove our tailgates, shouldn't take more than two minutes.

Not sure on pricing, although I know tailgates are expensive! Might want to check through www.powerstrokeshop.com or with Ed at Discount Ford Parts (who is a site sponsor: Ford Parts and Motorcraft Parts at Discount Prices Ford Think Parts) to see if they can help you out. Otherwise through a dealer is probably the best bet. I'd guess that a painted, ready-to-go tailgate would be upwards of $1250...

I was at Y2K but I can be found at www.ftepartsguy.com

rwhite692 looks to have the correct info.

I priced out a step type once and it was very very expensive so if you can find a take off or used one that is the way to go.

plus buying one online shipping would kill any savings.

Ed

Old 09-08-2008, 02:56 PM
rwhite692
Junior User
Yes what Ed is saying is very true. You want to find one locally, the shipping costs would probably be a deal-killer, and it would be very hard to ensure no damage in transit, with something this big/heavy.

Also worth noting: As Ed noted, these tailgates are expensive...and easy to take off.... So remember to always lock your tailgate!!

Important note that I want to add: If you do decide to put an 08 tailgate on an earlier truck, you will definitely want to also swap out the tail lights, for the 2008s.

The reason is that there is more curvature or "bow" from top to bottom on the 08 gate, vs. the 07 and earlier gates. The 2008 taillights and the gate were designed to match each other with regard to this "curve". If you didn't swap out the tail lights, you will notice that the curvature of the 08 gate is greater than that of the 07 and earlier taillights, and (in my opinion, others may be fine with it) it just won't look right. -Rob

Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I don't believe they are swappable. I had to wait a long time for my ARE cap because of the width of the 2008 top tailgate with steps.

Further, my 2005 had auto locks. My 2008 does not, but does have back up camera. Suggest anyone wanting to make the change upgrade to new truck. I put on the super Duty inserts for another $125.. Good luck. If you want the latest, buy the truck.\

Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
2008 tailgate with the FORD oval shaved on my 2002. You need the left body side hinge to make it work, all the internals and latches are even the same, the handle is different though.

Ive since added a 2008 bumper as well. Need to get some pics up of that.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:53 PM
rwhite692
Junior User
Originally Posted by rmosso1
I don't believe they are swappable. \
Sorry, but you are dead wrong...

....Suggest anyone wanting to make the change upgrade to new truck....If you want the latest, buy the truck....\
Sorry, my 2007 with 12K miles on it is a fine truck and it suits my needs just fine. Not going to buy a whole new truck just to get a tailgate with step.

It's an extremely easy swap (for some of us!). Just because you couldn't or wouldn't do it yourself is no reason to lift your leg on the idea, for those of us that can.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM
rwhite692
Junior User
Adam that looks great!

Never thought about shaving/filling in the ford oval detent, looks nice, kinda wish I'd thought of that! Too late now tho!

Damn Nice flares, too! -Rob

[/quote]

Old 09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I was thinking there was one hinge different too...

Suggest anyone wanting to make the change upgrade to new truck.
Yeah, now THAT is cost effective

Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
rwhiite692:

I was not trying to bash your idea, I did not think it was economically or esthetically feasible.

My experience on a beautiful 1995 Subaru SVX, LSi gave me the following experience. The dealer buffed off the clear coat and had to repaint the hood and fender. I paid over $34,000. for that vehicle, and it was a beauty and ran lik hell.

Here was my problem. Their shop got minimal overspray on the inner fender and under the grille area when they painted. When I went to trade my vehicle, every dealer I went to said it was wrecked and the auto was never in any accident.

From that I learned not to do elective surgery.

Further, when I ordered my ARE cap, I had to wait almost 5 months as ARE told me personally, that the change was so different, the molds had to be rebuilt.

Finally, on my 2005, I loved the tailgate as it had auto lock with the ignition. For whatever reason, maybe the back up camera on the 2008, I could not get the auto lock on the 2008.

Those are my reasons, and if I offended, I am sorry, but Ford is too savy to make it an easy job.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:12 PM
rwhite692
Junior User
No offense taken!

I must stand by my posts in that it truly is a VERY SIMPLE swap. I am not the only one saying so...just do a search, it has been done many times, by many people.

I would not do the swap if I had to go out and buy a brand new gate and all the associated parts from Ford, that would indeed make it prohibitively expensive (for me). I was able to get a new take-off gate with step locally and for a reasonable price (for me). So for me it was economically feasible (I do all of my own paint work as well, so that helps).

It was also most certainly aesthetically feasible for me, since I like the look of the 08 tailgate.

Where I do agree with you is that your truck cap manufacturer most certainly had an issue with the top plastic mouldings which are wider from front-to-back on the 08 gate vs. the previous years, which of course, necessitated a design change to their cap. The top plastic parts ARE different...but this is not an issue in any way whatsoever, for people who DON'T own a cap.

There is no difference in the side-to-side width of the tailgate, from 08 vs. previous years, so that just simply isn't accurate information.

I have no idea why the automatic locking tailgate thing on your 05 is part of this discussion, my 2007 doesn't have this, and I don't expect to have it on my new 2008 gate either....(?)

Your position is simply that YOU wouldn't do a mod like this, or mods to your vehicles in general, and that is just fine, we all do exactly whatever it is that we want to do with our trucks, it's our individual choice, and that is what makes America great, right?

Quick Reply: 07' to 08' tailgate swap