2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 F-150 5.4 3V Engine Detonation/Pre-Ignition...I've Had it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
G220
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Coasters,
Isn't the 2004 model the one with the older 2V per cylinder engine? If so that's not the same as the engine being discussed in this thread - this thread is for the newer 3V engine.
EDIT: Oops - I'm wrong. Looks like the 04 F150 does in fact have the 3V!
(various other stuff removed)

Not sure what to say about the pinging. Maybe a good tuner could at least tell you whether the problem was in fact due to the camshaft sensor without charging you too much, allowing you to make a more informed decision about having Ford do the work? I don't know. Good luck!

Greg. (in Australia, and not an F-series owner or expert)
Australian built Ford Fairlane BA G220 using 5.4L 3V engine

Last edited by G220; 01-04-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM
13fire fighter
New User
My 06 F150 5.4 4x4 started pinging at 5000 miles. i have 49,500 on it now and still pinging at low rpm only. I dont hear it at highway speed. Had it at 5 dealers all say the samething. I have paid for the last 3 times.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
G220
Freshman User
Originally Posted by me
I've now had a custom tune, and so far it's looking very promising indeed. I had it tuned for standard petrol (Australian 91 RON, which should be about the same as American 87 octane), and so far so good - no pinging at all. Unbelievable.
Unbelievable indeed - it's pinging again. It's still better than it was, and I'm still running standard 91/87 petrol/gas, but it is pinging a bit.

Back to the tuner.

Greg.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 PM
bassaway
Senior User
13 Firefighter, What did the dealers tell you?

Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
13fire fighter
New User
Sorry i took so long. It is normal and it is a joke. new truck should not be pinging.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM
G220
Freshman User
It's been a week now since they have refined the custom tune, and so far so good - no pinging whatsoever. It is summer over here at the moment so the fact that it is not pinging in the hot weather is a very good sign indeed.

The tuner commented that it is unusual to have to "go down that low". He is referring to both the rev range, and the throttle - my pinging would occur at light to moderate throttle. (not full throttle)

Note that another tuner (not the one who has done the work for me) said that the factory tune is "all wrong", however Ford insist that this is how it's supposed to be. I realise that tuners have a vested interest, but I'm passing on the info anyway.

Greg.

Last edited by G220; 01-29-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 PM
dduuaannee
New User
I drive a 05 fx4 with the 5.4 and the "ping" is driving me nuts.I've taken it to the ford dealer and they said that its a known thing with the 5.4s is that its a (timming phazar).
Its loud enough that when i'm parked in the tim hortons drive through people in chevs laugh.
The last 2 weeks the "ping" has turned into a hammer,only when it gets the RPMs and wont stop hammering untill it sits for about 30 min.When it hammerd on me the first time i pulled the cop on the #1 cylinder and the motor did nothing different......plus no engine light through all of this.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Surfcaster
New User
I had the same problem with an 04 5.4 24valve XLT. Took it to a buddy who asked me if I thought I was driving a diesel. Finally took it back to the dealership and they diagnosed cam phaser failure. It took 2 days, but it ran and sounded great till I sold it. (I had milage issues so I went to a 4.6)

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 PM
red dog
Junior User
Just a thought here. Alot of people on here think its the cam phasers. Tell the dealership you want the cam phasers replaced with the most current ones, try to get proof of the date they were made so your not getting some old stock that will have the same problem after a few thousand miles. Tell them if thats the fix its on them, if it does nothing you'll pay. Either way it would be nice to have fixed. If this is still under warranty i cant believe they wouldnt try the cam phasers as nothing else has worked and is absolutely not normal. I took mine to 3 different dealerships before one agreed to replace the cam phasers and that was the fix. Mine was a hollow knocking sound at the wheel wells once it was at normal temperature opposed to any pinging though. I told them i wanted the most recent parts installed, this was on an '05 5.4 with 7,000 miles. I dont put on alot of miles, I'm at 25,000 miles now with no problems with noise returning. I heard the phaser change out is around $1000, thats not cheap but if its out of warranty and you decide to sell it, people are going to shy away if the noise is that bad. I wonder if these trucks with the pinging had the cam phasers installed incorrectly, I'm no mechanic but if theres a time mark on gears and its off just one tooth it would run but with some of these problems. If youve got documentation that this all started in the warranty period, id try the deal thing as you have a chance they pay if thats the fix.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:46 PM
G220
Freshman User
It's been a whole month now since "rev 2" of the custom tune, and still no pinging at all. Fantastic.

Greg.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Greg- That's great news. I've never had an issue with my 04 pinging. A few years back while I still with Ford, we had a FPV Falcon in the garage. That is a FUN car. Too bad we don't import more of your vehicles to the states along with the European Focus!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:59 PM
G220
Freshman User
Twinsdad: Yes, well, I read an article the other day about how your CEO (I think, or someone senior from Ford in the U.S) had a drive of one of our just released Falcons, and liked it so much he's bringing it back home with him. I really love how my Fairlane drives, that's for sure. Never driven anything from FPV. Holden/GM have a sports division over here called HSV (Holden Special Vehicles), and they make a souped up long wheelbase sedan called the Grange (current model has the Corvette LS2 engine) - it is a real shame FPV don't have something to compete directly with it. (and an even bigger shame Ford have now stopped making the Fairlane over here too!!!)

Greg.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
kspeck
New User
I have 2008 F-150 King Ranch it is a Flex Fuel,

It has had the ping since 10000 miles, Dealer has replace Shortblock, Cleaned Heads, Decarboned 4 times, Replaced Computer 2 times.

I replaced the Plugs, oh yeah the cost of 8 plugs is over $125.00, and you can only get them through the dealer. I know, crazy. And no this is not the cost at the Dealer to have them replace them, it was me buying them out of pocket and replacing them myself. Dealer cost to replace plugs is over 250.00

And this is NOT ping on Tip in that you get in acceleration.

There are 2 options on for that year, one has Brown Boot Coils the othe has Black Boot Coils. Mine are Brown (Flex Fuel)

2 Ford Engineers agreed there is an issue, then 3rd Ford Engineer showed up and listened to it for 5 min and declared there is no problem. BS

This truck is a real peice of crap...

The Dealer and Techs put 4000 miles on it (not sure why or where they went, but come on 4k miles)

The truck now has 40+k miles and has gotten worse. And now a puff of black smoke comes out at first start of the day. Got to love that carbon build up

I have filed a complaint with Ford, and they offered 4000.00 to go away.
I have declined, Off to court we go...

And before all the gear heads chime in with the gas issue, I heve tried 40+ different gas stations, The Oil is changed by the Dealer.

I will never buy another new Ford again.

From what I can tell there are numerous trucks with this problem.

I will NEVER buy another Ford new again. I have been a loyal Blue Oval guy since I was old enough to know better (25+ years). I have purchased 6 New Truck in the past, 4 at the same dealer.

For Ford to blow us off like this is absurd.

Oh yah and if you tell me go but Import or a GM,
1. If you have not lost your job yet, keep buying imported goods.
2. I will never buy a GM (Government Motors) vehicle.
3. Dodge, no, No Fiat either.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:14 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kspeck
2. I will never buy a GM (Government Motors) vehicle.
Dude you missed it.... GM paid off the government loan early, plus interest. So you can't call them Government Motors any more! Not that it would make me buy one. Just saying..

And man did you dig this thread up from the dead or what? And made the same post in 2 different threads to boot!

From your "no buy list" it looks like you'll be driving a car from now on. Or perhaps you can revert to a '90 era F-150. Good luck either way.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:32 PM
kspeck
New User
I do also hdrive a '97 f-150.

And NO, I will not be driving a car, As I said, I will never buy another 'New' Ford.

I will only buy used from an individual, never to give Ford my money again.

And the GM thing, are you kidding me....

They did NOT pay off the loan, the 'New' GM was spun off from the Original GM and nthe original debt was wiped, GM could never had paid off 50 billion, because there is no way they made that in profit.

Old thread or not, Ford still has a big problem,

And Yes I did post in two 'Threads' as replies, because I think it is important that the people having this probelm realize that it is not isolated.
yes, you are

Quick Reply: 2006 F-150 5.4 3V Engine Detonation/Pre-Ignition...I've Had it!!!