1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

This DP Tuner report seems too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This DP Tuner report seems too good to be true?

I was using Google to find the DP Tuner web site so I could send them an email to explore my special tuning desires for my 4R100, and I came across a DP report on a 7.3 L truck forum that sure got my attention.

I've provided pertinent excerpts and the link to the thread. I would like the hear from those who have towed with a DP for their opinions if this report can possibly be correct. If this reported towing performance is even approximately true, I will definitely stop by Asheville, NC in a few weeks and get one of their chips, even if they can't do the extra stuff I want.

When you read the report, compare my numbers with his, and see if you can explain the large differences. I normally run about 6.5 K more than his GCVW. I see 10-12# boost and 600-650 deg at 60-65 mph towing flat. That's several # more boost, but 200-250 less EGT than the DP report.

Now for his Grapevine report. I've towed it several times, and if traffic allows, I get up to 70 mph in 4th, then down to 3rd, and to keep EGT below 1150, I drop down to 2nd for the top third of the climb. This guy claims to motor over it in both directions in 4th using cruise control, and never exceed 1000-1100 deg? The 800-900 on the flat versus 1000-1100 on the Grapevine doesn't seem logical unless I'm missing some magic going on with a DP Tuner?

For those not familiar with the Grapevine, here is a quote from the same thread that I have no trouble believing!

"Ahhh yes. The grapevine. Absolutely brutal in the summer. I watched my parent's best friend's car burn to the ground on that "hill" LOL. I even had to stop and rest the Falcon a few times going over it."

These are excerpts from a 7.3 L truck forum.
Number=2710252

Another happy DP-Tuner customer
#2710252 - 12/21/05 11:45 AM

So... aprox 15,000# gcvw of mass going to D-land at 60mph on cruise in the 60hp tow mode. boost= 7# pyro= 800 to 825 degrees

...pulling the Grapevine, I think it's a 6% grade that seems to go on forever, cruise set at 58mph. in drive. boost= 20# pyro=1000

...about half way up the hill a truck pulls out in front of me doing about 10mph, brings me almost to a complete stop... I put my foot to the floor... never went over 1100 degrees, boost got a little high about 28/30lbs on shifts, stayed in it till I hit 65mph and could not get it hot, there...

The trip home I set the chip to 80econo, pulled the same hill, just the other direction (longer pull not quite as steep)55mph in drive. boost= 22# pyro= 1100

All the way home cruise set at 60-65 boost=7,9# pyro= 800-900

Old 03-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only time I could ever get EGT's over 1200 degrees on the 40hp tow setting was when I had a huge boost leak. I've tried everything else, towing, long mountain grades, WOT runs, nothing will make it hot. Jody's tow tunes are incredible.

I also passed Colorado emissions with the 40 tow setting last year.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its all in the tuning. Some do alot of one thing or another (advance timing, extra fuel) but the ones like DP tuner, T Wildman, ect that do a little of everything and balance all of their adjustments end up getting much more bang for the buck

Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes it is all in the tuning. He can do whatever you want to do. Even with modified trucks, such as trucks with powdered metal rods, he can detune the power to make it reliable. I found out that with a bone stock internals and 530 injectors, Mech2161 runs his egt up to 1800* for every one of his hooks he makes to the sled. No special pistons or coatings, just special tuning.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Its very difficult to express in words to people that the DP-Tuner is a must. No matter what your looking for: increased milage, better shifting auto tranny, more power for towing, more power for non-towing or just alot more smoke. Call Jody, you won't be disappointed! If your going to get one, seriously consider calling Brain at BTS and get their valve body, Jody will program the chip for it.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RAMPAGE_F350
///SNIP///If your going to get one, seriously consider calling Brain at BTS and get their valve body, Jody will program the chip for it.
So what does the BTS VB go for roughly?? I just ordered my MBRP exhaust and I'm about to get the gauges in as well. The next step will either be the DP or the BTS VB (or both). Just trying to budget...

Joe

Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
225 + 150 refundable core

Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And I've heard if you have the VB and then you get the BTS trans Brian may credit you the price of the VB.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:29 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Ohh, well maybe i can put that towards a 6.0 cooler

Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 PM
Muktown
Posting Guru
personally i dont think bts is worth the money. i noticed very little difference in the shifting compared to when i had just the chip, but i was using a chip from jody that was set up for use with the bts. with the valve body the tc locks very hard in my opinion.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Muktown
personally i dont think bts is worth the money. i noticed very little difference in the shifting compared to when i had just the chip, but i was using a chip from jody that was set up for use with the bts. with the valve body the tc locks very hard in my opinion.
Now that is the 1st non-enthusiastic BTS report I've seen. I appreciate the honesty of your opinion. Do you tow?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:29 PM
SolidGround
Elder User
Yea, I can't believe I just read that.
First complaint I've ever heard about a BTS.

BTW, I love my BTS.
I'm also very happy with Cale's tunes.
Not to knock DP, ran it for years. When I switched to a BTS and Cale massaged me a nice 4 position flip-switch (60T, 100T, 80E, funtimes).

Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Ok, I guess I'm convinced and will be stopping by Asheville soon. Actually, this stop takes no convincing of the wife because she didn't get to see all of the Biltmore Mansion the last time we were there.

I see from the DP site that Jody is out of town this week. Does anyone plan on attending his upcoming event Smokin' in the Smokies April 20th and 21st in Gatlinburg, TN? He's going to have the Mobile Dyno at the Adventure Bound Camping Resort for everyone to dyno their rigs.

I think I might go there first and do some sightseeing, dyno with my Superchip, and then with his DP tunes. Then I could tow to Asheville and if I didn't like something on the DP, see if he could do some more tweaking there.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 AM
squaredancer
Senior User
ernesteugene,
I know the Grapevine well. It seems everytime we go camping it's either over the Grapevine (and back), or one of the other mountain passes. I just finished installing the pillar gauges and will test them ,i.e. get some base readings going over the Grapevine this week end. Next on the list either the DP Tuner or the BTS VB.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Originally Posted by squaredancer
ernesteugene,
I know the Grapevine well. It seems everytime we go camping it's either over the Grapevine (and back), or one of the other mountain passes. I just finished installing the pillar gauges and will test them ,i.e. get some base readings going over the Grapevine this week end. Next on the list either the DP Tuner or the BTS VB.
Before you try to see how high you can make your new EGT gauge read on the Grapevine, read this thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/590447-does-egt-give-a-false-sense-of-security.html

Please post your results here, or send me an email kempegenek@gmail.com . I assume baseline means without a chip, just what's shown in your sig. Let me know your GCVW. Maybe my early 99 could make it in 1st gear without a chip, but it'd be close with my 14 K 5er in tow. Get the DP next and take another trip soon to get comparison data.

Actually, for towing reliability I'd suggest a TC lock-up device first. Unless you're a real hot-rodder, the stock tranny is just fine for running empty. Check my numerous posts here, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/590088-possible-4r100-mods-to-make-it-an-8-speed-manual.html re my shifting technique using my TC lock-up device. After 65 K of towing (not total) miles with a bone stock original tranny, I'm convinced that a TC lock-up device, a chip to increase line pressure, and my careful "wear free" shifting technique is all that's required for good reliability when towing.

Quick Reply: This DP Tuner report seems too good to be true?