Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Freshman User

gmitchell is starting off with a positive reputation.
cruise control on/off switch

Does anyone know how to remove the cruise control on/off switch on the steering wheel? The switch cover broke - I am going to try and glue it because I can't buy just the cover I would have to buy a new switch for $80!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Freshman User

Tired_Escape_Driver is starting off with a positive reputation.
my switch only works to turn the system on. i havent looked at it too much. but I wont be replacing it at 80 bucks... lol
Old 03-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior User

rc581 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i just removed mine last night. mine is in a 2003 ranger. disconnect the battery and wait about 5 min. for residual voltage to dissipate. then right behind the steering wheel , there are 2 round openings with plugs in them, just pry the plug caps off and remove the 2 bolts, one on each side, lift the airbag off very carefully, disconnect it at the plug and set it aside. now the cruise switches are easy to take off. just pull the black plug off the switches very carefully and do what you need to do with it. the switch will come apart in 3 pieces. good luck and i hope this helps.....bob
Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Freshman User

Thanks for the info Bob. I will give it shot, I didn't think I would have to take the air bag off. I have a service manual but it doesn't give any info about the switches on the steering wheel.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Senior User

its not too bad a job to do. as i said, be gentle with the air bad when you unplug it. it took me about 25 min. total to take it off, remove the switche and check the lamps and reassemble. just take your time and let me know how you make out good luck....bob
Old 03-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Freshman User

Bob you were right it wasn't too bad, it was a little more involved than your Ranger.
After removing the plastic trim around the column you can get to the 4 torx screws that hold another plastic trim piece just behind the airbag. Once that is removed you then have access to the 4 nuts that hold the wheel and airbag on.
I glued the broken on/off switch back together and stuck it back on.
Everything works fine and I saved myself $80 bucks.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Senior User

great, glad everything went smoothly for you.....bob
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid

Tags
2003, 2007, button, control, covers, cruise, davidson, escape, ford, harley, long, remove, steering, switch, wheel