4.6 liter questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 PM
kaboom10
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Interesting, thanks. Hey, I'm in Grosse Pointe Farms and ride with the Wolverine Bike (bicycle) Club which is heavily based around Royal Oak--my son is a Cat 2 racer for their elite team and trains at 12 and Woodward (which is where all 4 of our parents are buried as well), used to work (pension desk job) in Southfield until I retired 6/30/07....

And I used to play with carbs a lot--used to rebuild Quadrajets (along with Holleys and others), file metering rods, play with light distributor springs, pull off vacuum advance. Ran at the old Detroit and Motor City Dragways and would do some "testing" (well a lot of testing) on Gratiot Ave as an Eastsider.

One followup Q (and I will research some more)--will the regular gas tune make enough of a low and mid-throttle difference that it'd be worth it? Just paid $85 to fill the sucker up yesterday, and would *not* enjoy the extra 10-20 cents per gallon for the van. (I've had lots of premium fuel cars like my '91 BMW 318is which is still my summer toy car and don't mind paying the bucks with a 14 gallon tank.)

When I *really* nail the throttle, the van runs just fine for my needs, but it's just *so* flat in the middle compared to my 350 Savana (or any of my old muscle cars, Corvettes, etc--even my '71 Olds 98 with a 455). I suspect I'd be happier with a 5.4, but as it is, this is probably my last V8 vehicle. Kicking up the shift points would probably help--Ford kicks the auto trans into 2nd gear at 5 mph....

Thanks,
George
I'm near 13 and Woodward. Still storm it in the same places I ran my big block 57 chevy. A stock looking truck isn't supposed to act like mine does. I'm running the 93 octane tune right now. The tunes are tailored to the fuel used. More octane will allow more spark and more power but the tunes are running a base spark table that is higher than stock. The amounts of spark you can deviate from is mainly a negative value with little advancing. Otherwise you could time it into the next cylinder and destroy the motor. You tune for idle-2000, 2000-4000 and 4000 and up. If you take the factory inlet/exhaust restrictions out you can also tell a difference. I opened up the air box and changed the filter. The exhaust is just another muffler and the original pipes. As far as the trans I'm gonna go with my local shop put a kit in it. These things will go over 150k and I have 34 now. I fell in love with it instead of leasing another one.

I can't believe you filed a metering rod with all the combinations available. I used to doll them up with a super stock calibration if someone wanted more pizazz.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:55 AM
kaboom10
Elder User
Here YoGeorge this should explain a lot of what I said earlier. This is what the custom tuner will select from to allow you to change parameters in a custom tune.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:35 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, Kaboom...

I'm starting to get it; appreciate the info.

I'm a tiny bit confused--if the seller puts in 3 tunes, does the user still get to manipulate stuff just a bit (I believe that's what you're saying). If I have the reg gas tune, for instance, and get a tank of particularly low octane, can I kick back the timing? Or if I put on bigger tires/wheels for the winter, can I change speedo calibration quickly and change back in the spring? It's clear that I can switch to a premium gas tune whenever I want to fill up with that.

I've been building my own computers since 1991 or so, so I'm sure I can figure one of these boxes out. But, I don't know if a 4.6 liter E150 would be a fun vehicle to play with. Actually I know it's not.

My son's bud (and maybe I should talk to him or ask him for a ride) has been downloading WRX tuning setups off the Internet, and with parameters like turbo boost, has a lot more leeway. He'll call my son to go for a test drive with him to check out a new tune...again, he's run a bonafide 13.2 with his tuning thing (and like 20 lbs of boost or something stupid), huge exhaust, and 4wd traction. Amazing.

Thanks again,
George

Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 AM
kaboom10
Elder User
I'm starting to get it; appreciate the info.

I'm a tiny bit confused--if the seller puts in 3 tunes, does the user still get to manipulate stuff just a bit (I believe that's what you're saying). If I have the reg gas tune, for instance, and get a tank of particularly low octane, can I kick back the timing? Or if I put on bigger tires/wheels for the winter, can I change speedo calibration quickly and change back in the spring? It's clear that I can switch to a premium gas tune whenever I want to fill up with that.

I've been building my own computers since 1991 or so, so I'm sure I can figure one of these boxes out. But, I don't know if a 4.6 liter E150 would be a fun vehicle to play with. Actually I know it's not.

My son's bud (and maybe I should talk to him or ask him for a ride) has been downloading WRX tuning setups off the Internet, and with parameters like turbo boost, has a lot more leeway. He'll call my son to go for a test drive with him to check out a new tune...again, he's run a bonafide 13.2 with his tuning thing (and like 20 lbs of boost or something stupid), huge exhaust, and 4wd traction. Amazing.

Thanks again,
George
YW.

There's leway on the spark if need be. Different engines off the same assembly line have different requirements since the owners have given them different amounts of maintenance. Engine A may not be able to tolerate the same spark curve as engine B. The fine tuning can be used for each engine to get max performance. Now bear in mind any of the parameters you have changed can be put back to stock or modified to work with your particular engine. Say you sell you tuned vehicle. Before giving it to the new owner you take and put the stock tune back in. Since the next vehicle now can be tuned but under a new VIN number you're back to tuning again. Say you sell your 4.6 and the next is a 5.4 just plug n play and go. You can change tires from season to season and recalibrate each time. You also can run out the display to a very accurate read out. Say you want to see A/F out to 3 places just select it. The only drawback is all your read outs will be that display also. You get pulled over for speeding and you can say you were only going 4.372 mph over the limit. My speedo is 1.5mph over actual.

20 lbs. of boost is one heck of a lot. It produces a lot of power but it puts a terrible amount of extra stress on all components. Blown head gaskets and broken rods are just some of the problems.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Workvan1
Junior User
While on the subject, I'm considering a newer E250 van with the 4.6 engine. I'm currently driving one with the 5.4 and positrac. Will I notice any substantial loss while pulling a trailer with three dirtbikes or hauling 700/800lbs of tools? How about better gas milage with the 4.6?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:35 PM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it'll do just fine, probably near the same mileage, given the vehicle. you might notice it hasn't got the power of the 5.4 but it won't have any trouble doing what you ask of it with ease!!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Workvan1
Junior User
Originally Posted by 96sherm
it'll do just fine, probably near the same mileage, given the vehicle. you might notice it hasn't got the power of the 5.4 but it won't have any trouble doing what you ask of it with ease!!
Thanks man!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:39 AM
kaboom10
Elder User
Originally Posted by Workvan1
While on the subject, I'm considering a newer E250 van with the 4.6 engine. I'm currently driving one with the 5.4 and positrac. Will I notice any substantial loss while pulling a trailer with three dirtbikes or hauling 700/800lbs of tools? How about better gas milage with the 4.6?
I'd like to add to pick up a tuner for towing. Load in the max tune and then take it back to either stock or 87 octane tune. You can get one from mike@5startuning.com where I got mine. Just let him know you are a member here. I change tunes to see what I can get with the gas I can afford.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:04 PM
fordtunetly ford
New User
I recently purchased a 97 f150 with the 4.6., 94k miles. The check engine light was on ,bought a code scanner & found o2 sencer bad [ 1 of 4 ]. Replaced it, fun job!! Now light came on again, #3 misfire. working on solution. The 4.6 and 5.4 have two coil systems. One has a coil on top of each sparkplug for short called cops, and no plug wires.The other has 2 coil packs,,one for each side of engine with plug wires running to each plug. [4 coil & 4 wires per side.] Just from reading in these forums it sounds like both engines have a challenge to change spark plugs, especeally rear plugs [no room to work]. Another issue is heater core replacement! sounds like you have to remove intire dash to do it. IF you a doityourself kinda person you can save some money if problems occur, Or you pay at the staelership!
I hope this helps? PS fords like oem parts!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 PM
tjthegreat
Elder User
my bros got a 91 300 I6 w 362k miles on it trouble free beat that 4.6,lol from what i hear the 4.6 is a pretty relaible motor.it doesnt have the low end power like the 5.4 but is a good overall motor

Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 PM
glemons42
Senior User
I bought mine a year and a half ago, bought it from a bad dealer but I knew it needed work, but it still ran and got me down the road, have had to replace intake gasket and a few minor things but with almost 190k it still don't burn oil and goes down the road very well after replacing all ball joints and tierod ends. it is still a fixer upper and I love the performance and dependability, hoping to get another 100k on it.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Bartramk
New User
Originally Posted by fireman126
Here a good one, I have a 2002 F-150 supercrew with the 4.6 It burns about 2-3 quarts of oil between changes,I use Mobil 1 10-30. Any suggestions?
Look in the book and see what it calls for my 2001 super crew with the 4.6 calls for 5-20

Old 06-14-2014, 03:37 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bartramk
Look in the book and see what it calls for my 2001 super crew with the 4.6 calls for 5-20
Hey Bartramk....note that the question you are answering is over 7 years old. Chances are that the guy who asked that question got rid of his truck years ago....

George

Old 06-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Bartramk
New User
Originally Posted by 96sherm
thank you Johnny for defending the 4.6l. there's no way in hell anyone can make a general statement saying that engine is junk. sure they don't have the power of the 5.4, but it also is down a few cubes. i've got the 4.6 and wouldn't hesitate to get another tomorrow. awesome engine...all heart. i'd definately reccomend it to anyone and everyone.
Today 07:39 PM by Bartramk
I recently installed a 4.6 in my 01 ford. Ever since it's been acting up. I replaced the EGR valve and spark plugs. The computer is showing EGR flow is out of range. It shakes when in normal drive gear but smooths out in passing gear. I've disconnected each coil pack with the truck running and they all seem to be working I love the truck and the power it is supposed to have. But if I can't figure it out I'm going to trade it in on a dodge or Chevy.
Edit Reply

Old 06-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Bartramk
New User
Hey Bartramk....note that the question you are answering is over 7 years old. Chances are that the guy who asked that question got rid of his truck years ago....

George
Yea I didn't even look at the date thanks will do for future reference any response to my original post?

Quick Reply: 4.6 liter questions