Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Senior User

Rollbar is starting off with a positive reputation.
PreacherMan50
My '97 (well I gave it to my son & daughter to travel to college ( Southern Fla-Alabama). 4.6, purchased new, changed the oil regularly, changed the plugs wires @ 170K (gap was BIG, I think 140. oops ). Anyway has 225,415 miles on it & runs great & good gas mileage. The engine light came on & I think it's the DPFE sensor from some reading I've been doing. Just got back from North Fla & the trip (300 miles away) OD is not working but other than that the motor purrs just fine.

My hat's off to FORD!

P.S. Original tranny, rear etc. Changed the fluid & it keeps on ticking.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM
New User

goatboyposer is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have 99 150 4x4 i,ve had it since new,regular oil changes,and plugs and wires.im just now replacing timing chain at 196,000 mi.id say good ,dependable, moter.as for power,its no dog.parts are pricey.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Senior User

old farmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I bought my Aviator, my bro in law said that it's too bad Ford still puts junk motors in such nice vehicles, at which my sister and their daughter said he deserved a good swift kick in the family jewels. He also said the same thing about my 94 T-bird which I sold 1 1/2 years ago to a friend of my wife's. It still runs good, so does my Aviator, and also another bro in law's truck with a 4.6 which is not taken good care of, and another bro in law had a crown vic for a few years with never a problem, and was high mileage when he bought it. So I think they're good engines.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:39 PM
New User

hpduf is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have a 03 4.6 single cab 4x4 with a super chip and magnaflow exhaust just clicked 65,000. I regularly pull a twenty foot trailer with a 35 hp john deere on it and never had a problem. love the motor, keeping it forever
Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Elder User

kaboom10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
kaboom ten
All the stuff made for the 4.6 is more than the 5.4.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Elder User

Joe Finn is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMan1
Wow only 177K trouble free miles, that's just terrible
My thoughts exactly
Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Junior User

JoBoOtSdEfAyGo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I own a 2wd '97 f-150 w/ 150,000k on it. It has the 4.6L which still runs great! I just recently hauled a huge load from Birimingham, AL to Atlanta, Ga consisting of a 4-wheeler in the truck bed, and a double-axle trailer with another f-150 sitting on top of it. Kept the overdrive off and cruised around 55mph with no problems. Beat that 5.4L!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Postmaster

bigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to allbigdaddyII is a name known to all
I just traded in my 1997 4.6 liter with original motor and tranny at 225+,000 miles. Most trouble free truck I have ever owned. Power was never an issue as I dont tow a whole lot and when I do it is nothing extremely heavy. I never had to worry about a plug launching out of the head either.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Elder User

mercman86 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
smooth 4.6

HI
ive got a '04 F-150 XL with the 4.6 in it. 50,000 miles with no probs. But one thing bothers me, has anyone noticed and problems with sluggish hi speed acceleration. It doesnt do it all the time and the dealer hasn't given me any answers besides "didn't do it for us." It almost seems like the electronic throttle is lagging when i really step on it. Anyone got any ideas???
Old 03-01-2008, 08:55 AM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman86
HI
ive got a '04 F-150 XL with the 4.6 in it. 50,000 miles with no probs. But one thing bothers me, has anyone noticed and problems with sluggish hi speed acceleration. It doesnt do it all the time and the dealer hasn't given me any answers besides "didn't do it for us." It almost seems like the electronic throttle is lagging when i really step on it. Anyone got any ideas???
Is it definitely the engine power and not the transmission choosing not to downshift? Do you drive in areas where there are "false flats"---like shallow hills that might appear flat when you drive on them? I remember one stretch of freeway like that where my old '78 Ford pickup with the 300 inch six would just seem completely out of breath, but then realized that other cars would struggle there too.

Are you talking about acceleration from say, 55 to 75 mph? Even a good headwind might make *some* difference if you're driving in a windy plain area. (A 30 mph headwind is pretty daunting in a truck, or an E150 like mine, which has a 4.6 that *does* work hard when I'm moving fast.)

George
Old 03-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Elder User

mercman86 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks George, you've got a good point about the false flat idea about the roads. Most of the time it is when im accelerating from about 55 to 70 ill step on it and its doing like what you described. Most of my highway driving is in the city of chicago, but the problem i've described happens more often on open roads out of the city and on my way to florida and south carolina. The dealer did look into the transmission and they assured me that it was in fine working order so hopefully there right! Thanks for the advice!!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Elder User

kaboom ten
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman86
Thanks George, you've got a good point about the false flat idea about the roads. Most of the time it is when im accelerating from about 55 to 70 ill step on it and its doing like what you described. Most of my highway driving is in the city of chicago, but the problem i've described happens more often on open roads out of the city and on my way to florida and south carolina. The dealer did look into the transmission and they assured me that it was in fine working order so hopefully there right! Thanks for the advice!!
You ever given thought to getting a tuner? I bought one and couldn't believe the increase.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
Tell me about tuners....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom10
You ever given thought to getting a tuner? I bought one and couldn't believe the increase.
I'm an old hot-rodder (ran a couple Chrysler Hemi cars in the 70's, actually), and my son's buddy has a Subaru WRX which, with one of the little tuner boxes, has run 13.2 second quarters (amazing--faster than an STI) although one of the things he's manipulating is turbo boost (I don't think the brand new Subie his daddy bought him will make it past 20k miles).

Anyway, I will research this more later (working on honey do Saturday things right now), but I just did a quick lookup on livewire tuners and it looks like they have a couple models (like $379 and $569). Is there any way that you can tweak a 4.6 so it will continue to run on regular but give some more low-end and midrange grunt without a loss in gas mileage? I'm not gonna be running my E150 at the strip, but I miss the grunt of the old Chevy 350 in my '96 Savana (although that was the Van from Hell for other reasons).

These little thingies just plug into the OBD2 port, right? Do they reprogram the PCM flash, or do they just override it while they're plugged in?

My 60k Premium Care warranty is up in 800 miles, so this might be the right time to play with the van just a little--it's an '02 with the PI heads, same as the current 4.6 (and the dealer replaced the heads for me at 42k based on a TSB regarding a bad run of early Romeo PI heads).

Talk to me, bud...

Thanks in advance for any info,
George
Old 03-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Elder User

kaboom ten
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
I'm an old hot-rodder (ran a couple Chrysler Hemi cars in the 70's, actually), and my son's buddy has a Subaru WRX which, with one of the little tuner boxes, has run 13.2 second quarters (amazing--faster than an STI) although one of the things he's manipulating is turbo boost (I don't think the brand new Subie his daddy bought him will make it past 20k miles).

Anyway, I will research this more later (working on honey do Saturday things right now), but I just did a quick lookup on livewire tuners and it looks like they have a couple models (like $379 and $569). Is there any way that you can tweak a 4.6 so it will continue to run on regular but give some more low-end and midrange grunt without a loss in gas mileage? I'm not gonna be running my E150 at the strip, but I miss the grunt of the old Chevy 350 in my '96 Savana (although that was the Van from Hell for other reasons).

These little thingies just plug into the OBD2 port, right? Do they reprogram the PCM flash, or do they just override it while they're plugged in?

My 60k Premium Care warranty is up in 800 miles, so this might be the right time to play with the van just a little--it's an '02 with the PI heads, same as the current 4.6 (and the dealer replaced the heads for me at 42k based on a TSB regarding a bad run of early Romeo PI heads).

Talk to me, bud...

Thanks in advance for any info,
George
It's a plug and play. You tell who you order it from (I got mine from 5 star tuning for $535 because I'm a member here) and give them the info (online) for your vehicle. I got an email saying I had to fill in a code but the rest I found out from the VIN sticker with all the codes. You get 3 levels of tunes preloaded for 3 grades of fuel. You also get 3 levels of tune in the custom tune(that's why they want those codes). Try both the tunes and see which is the best. You get to manipulate spark for all rpm's and w.o.t. fuel. Now when you are done uploading a tune you can disconnect the tuner or mount it on the windshield and use it to monitor vehicle operating parameters you select. Nice tuner and toy too. You can reprogram your trans for firmer shifts and if you change tire size and/or rear gears you can recalibrate to the new values. That saves $127 I think.

I'm an old school hot rodder too. Worked in the automotive industry most all my life. Learned carbs from working 15 yrs at Holley carb and learning how to transpose to FI. It is nice to sit in a clean dry cab and reflash the ECU. I did a little mapping when I was working. It took so many tests and data logging a single person couldn't do it all to develope mapping. To change mapping it isn't that awful with the choices you have to work with. You wouldn't believe how much one of those Cyclones would put out unbridled.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom10
It's a plug and play. You tell who you order it from (I got mine from 5 star tuning for $535 because I'm a member here) and give them the info (online) for your vehicle. I got an email saying I had to fill in a code but the rest I found out from the VIN sticker with all the codes. You get 3 levels of tunes preloaded for 3 grades of fuel. You also get 3 levels of tune in the custom tune(that's why they want those codes). Try both the tunes and see which is the best. You get to manipulate spark for all rpm's and w.o.t. fuel. Now when you are done uploading a tune you can disconnect the tuner or mount it on the windshield and use it to monitor vehicle operating parameters you select. Nice tuner and toy too. You can reprogram your trans for firmer shifts and if you change tire size and/or rear gears you can recalibrate to the new values. That saves $127 I think.

I'm an old school hot rodder too. Worked in the automotive industry most all my life. Learned carbs from working 15 yrs at Holley carb and learning how to transpose to FI. It is nice to sit in a clean dry cab and reflash the ECU. I did a little mapping when I was working. It took so many tests and data logging a single person couldn't do it all to develope mapping. To change mapping it isn't that awful with the choices you have to work with. You wouldn't believe how much one of those Cyclones would put out unbridled.
Interesting, thanks. Hey, I'm in Grosse Pointe Farms and ride with the Wolverine Bike (bicycle) Club which is heavily based around Royal Oak--my son is a Cat 2 racer for their elite team and trains at 12 and Woodward (which is where all 4 of our parents are buried as well), used to work (pension desk job) in Southfield until I retired 6/30/07....

And I used to play with carbs a lot--used to rebuild Quadrajets (along with Holleys and others), file metering rods, play with light distributor springs, pull off vacuum advance. Ran at the old Detroit and Motor City Dragways and would do some "testing" (well a lot of testing) on Gratiot Ave as an Eastsider.

One followup Q (and I will research some more)--will the regular gas tune make enough of a low and mid-throttle difference that it'd be worth it? Just paid $85 to fill the sucker up yesterday, and would *not* enjoy the extra 10-20 cents per gallon for the van. (I've had lots of premium fuel cars like my '91 BMW 318is which is still my summer toy car and don't mind paying the bucks with a 14 gallon tank.)

When I *really* nail the throttle, the van runs just fine for my needs, but it's just *so* flat in the middle compared to my 350 Savana (or any of my old muscle cars, Corvettes, etc--even my '71 Olds 98 with a 455). I suspect I'd be happier with a 5.4, but as it is, this is probably my last V8 vehicle. Kicking up the shift points would probably help--Ford kicks the auto trans into 2nd gear at 5 mph....

Thanks,
George
Old 03-01-2008, 05:06 PM