Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update-project Eddie Bauer

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:22 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It lives! It drives! It runs! It was the coil. I just had to think it through for an hour or two to convince myself of all the reasons a coil would do this. The are several, but the 20 dollar coil solved it. The rear drive shaft is not in it right now, (it's in my other Bronco) so I only have "front" wheel drive. It runs good enough that it will light the brand new mud tires up on dry pavement. Not smoke em, but it will squall the hell out of em. Funny thing is- #7 cylinder seems to be dead. Spark at the cap, spark at the wire, spark at end of plug, but no difference in the way it runs when you pull that wire off. Wierd. Anyway I also installed the wiper motor today and scrubbed the whole truck down, as it was filthy. I found a pinhole in the 5/8 heater hose too but that is a whole 5 min. fix. I don't have the time or the money (much less the motivation) to tear down this motor again. I am burned out on this Bronco for now. I want to work on my white Bronco for awhile. I am going to do a compression check on that #7 cylinder though, although I'm kinda scared to. All the cylinder walls looked really good, as did the pistons, so that really has me wondering, as #'s 1 and 3 were the original problem cylinders. Pulling the wires off of all the rest of them made a difference in the way it ran. Like I said, wierd. Thanx for hanging in there with me on this one CJ, I really appreciate it.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:18 PM
cje07
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweeeeet!

"I love it when a plan comes together!" - Hanibal (The A-Team)

That is so awesome! It such a feeling of relief when you solve the puzzle. I'm glad it was a cheap part for you too! Keep this thing rolling brother! Back to body work!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:39 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
Yep- on to the bodywork. However, I did find 2 vacuum plugs that apparently were blown off during the whole backfiring thing, and when they were put back on, no more miss. Got the windshield wiper motor installed and the rear shaft back in today, cleaned all the glass inside and out, put my subs and amp in it, and now it is finally and totally road ready. Oh yeah, I also replaced that heater hose that had the pinhole also. I'll get my air board replaced and go back to body now. I think it will be awhile though because I really need to do a lot to my white bronco. Anyway, I'll post up if I get anymore done.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:44 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
I have advanced the timing to just shy of the point where you can hear the starter labor to start the motor. It runs really good now. I'm still tweakin on it, but it's comin along. It has true dual exhaust now with Thrush glass packs, sounds really good, but not quite as loud as I would like, Close though. I also put a new sub box in it with 2 15 in. Power Acoustic subs. It's pretty loud. I'll try to get some pics up soon. Are you still watchin CJe07?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 AM
cje07
Elder User
Originally Posted by cfrives3
I have advanced the timing to just shy of the point where you can hear the starter labor to start the motor. It runs really good now. I'm still tweakin on it, but it's comin along. It has true dual exhaust now with Thrush glass packs, sounds really good, but not quite as loud as I would like, Close though. I also put a new sub box in it with 2 15 in. Power Acoustic subs. It's pretty loud. I'll try to get some pics up soon. Are you still watchin CJe07?
Yep - on vacation and will be out of town for at least a week. No chance to help out until after that.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:49 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
I got a free top for the EB. Actually to be fair, 94Nichols got 2 free tops and 2 free doors, but he had to use my trailer to get them so I claimed one of the tops for myself. I took the crappier one to the car wash, and then brought it home and cut the middle out of it. 48 3/8 square. I have put 2 15's with a 3000 watt amp in it so I can't have her driving it around with no top because she works at the mall and cannot keep an eye on it all day. Let me tell you friend, if you can lift that box and amp and all clear out through the top without drawing attention, you deserve it, cause it's heavy as hell. I sprayed the whole top with spray on truck bed liner, then the closest color of tan I could find and it looks great. It was just a free top I wasn't gonna put a lot of money in and it came out great! I think the color of tan we used looks better than the stock top. The next problem then was how to cover it when it rained. I bought a 5' 1/2 X 7' 1/2 tarp and some pvc for ribs. It didn't work. The pvc was too small so it flipped down because of the weight of the water. I happened to have a a rear window "moon visor?" that fit a 97 f150. It was made by Lund, and it is the smoke color. I screwed it down with 5 tech screws in combo with the adhesive, and you would think it was made for it. It stops all the turbulence created by cutting open the top. I then cut down a 1x to fit just up under the "deflector" and go about 3 inches back past the back of the cutout reinstalled tarp and ribs and it works awesome. It has rained a little every day since I did it, go figure, so I have had lots of opportunities to perfect the tarping process. The tarp is on it now as they are calling for rain again tonight. I will get some pics of it up when I get the tarp off again. Then you will see what I mean about the visor thing. Anyway-I think that's about it for now-I'll post as soon as I get to do something else cool to it! Hope cj sees this-something tells me he may want to find an old top to cut up too! It is nice to still have the "open" feeling and still retain security somewhat.

Last edited by cfrives3; 08-23-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:02 AM
cje07
Elder User
I got a free top for the EB. Actually to be fair, 94Nichols got 2 free tops and 2 free doors, but he had to use my trailer to get them so I claimed one of the tops for myself. I took the crappier one to the car wash, and then brought it home and cut the middle out of it. 48 3/8 square. I have put 2 15's with a 3000 watt amp in it so I can't have her driving it around with no top because she works at the mall and cannot keep an eye on it all day. Let me tell you friend, if you can lift that box and amp and all clear out through the top without drawing attention, you deserve it, cause it's heavy as hell. I sprayed the whole top with spray on truck bed liner, then the closest color of tan I could find and it looks great. It was just a free top I wasn't gonna put a lot of money in and it came out great! I think the color of tan we used looks better than the stock top. The next problem then was how to cover it when it rained. I bought a 5' 1/2 X 7' 1/2 tarp and some pvc for ribs. It didn't work. The pvc was too small so it flipped down because of the weight of the water. I happened to have a a rear window "moon visor?" that fit a 97 f150. It was made by Lund, and it is the smoke color. I screwed it down with 5 tech screws in combo with the adhesive, and you would think it was made for it. It stops all the turbulence created by cutting open the top. I then cut down a 1x to fit just up under the "deflector" and go about 3 inches back past the back of the cutout reinstalled tarp and ribs and it works awesome. It has rained a little every day since I did it, go figure, so I have had lots of opportunities to perfect the tarping process. The tarp is on it now as they are calling for rain again tonight. I will get some pics of it up when I get the tarp off again. Then you will see what I mean about the visor thing. Anyway-I think that's about it for now-I'll post as soon as I get to do something else cool to it! Hope cj sees this-something tells me he may want to find an old top to cut up too! It is nice to still have the "open" feeling and still retain security somewhat.
I have been toying with the idea of trying to either A) build my own safari top, or B) take an exisitng top and hacking it to allow some kind of cover but no sides.

If you can imagine...the safari top would be made of all tubing that would bolt to the inside lip of the rear tub but also built to the top of th truck (above the passenger and driver) using the orignal top bolt locations. Then stretch and snap marine grade leather/vinyl over the top of that...when it's sunny unsnap the top when there's a chance of rain snap it back on! This would only be for the summer and would NOT reach of the sides of the truck where your side windows would be...not like the fastrack tops.

Second option is to take an existing top and sawzall the sides off it..windows and all...then attach tubing at the rear of the tub that would protrude down and would bolt to the inside rear of the tub. The front would attach to the top of th truck (above the passenger and driver) using the orignal top bolt locations as before. sides and back would totally be open.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 AM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
That would be cool. My onything is the security of it. Someone stole my 2 crunch 10 in subs, 700 watt amp, about 120 cds, and my favorite knife out of my truck last fall. I have since become a little paranoid. I like your idea too-but money is just too tight for me right now to do too much. I need to try this half door thing too. They won't go on the EB though, I want them on mine. I just need to buy a mig welder, the scrap sheet metal I'm sure I can come up with. I think I have enough of a break in the rain to go get some pics of the top. Wanna see?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 AM
cje07
Elder User
That would be cool. My onything is the security of it. Someone stole my 2 crunch 10 in subs, 700 watt amp, about 120 cds, and my favorite knife out of my truck last fall. I have since become a little paranoid. I like your idea too-but money is just too tight for me right now to do too much. I need to try this half door thing too. They won't go on the EB though, I want them on mine. I just need to buy a mig welder, the scrap sheet metal I'm sure I can come up with. I think I have enough of a break in the rain to go get some pics of the top. Wanna see?
For sure ...get those pics rolling bro! I can understand about the security thing. I used to have a 135 lb doberman pincher named Caesar that used to guard my stuff...no one ever messed with it!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:01 AM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
Ok got some. I have to get them into my gallery, then find the thread you started about how to put pics in a post.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:41 AM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
I guess I am just too old for the computer crap. I found the post and tried a couple times, but no luck. Feel free Chris. There are 5 of them in my wifey's project gallery. They should show what I mean about the moon visor thing.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:30 PM
cje07
Elder User
Here ya go:

Very nice! I have seen many guys lap over and double stitch marine grade canvas or leather and then snap it to the top where that hole is.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 PM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
I want a piece of smoke plexiglass 50 x 50. That will overlap the edges about an inch. Good velcro should do the trick. The visor in the front should keep the wind from picking it up while moving. My boss has a connection for it and we'll see what he comes up with. I thank you for posting my pics, and apologize for being retarded.

Hopefully I'll get my sander replaced soon, so it can fix the driver's side. That looks horrid.

Thanks again Chris.

Charles

Old 08-24-2007, 08:37 PM
cje07
Elder User
I want a piece of smoke plexiglass 50 x 50. That will overlap the edges about an inch. Good velcro should do the trick. The visor in the front should keep the wind from picking it up while moving. My boss has a connection for it and we'll see what he comes up with. I thank you for posting my pics, and apologize for being retarded.

Hopefully I'll get my sander replaced soon, so it can fix the driver's side. That looks horrid.

Thanks again Chris.

Charles
No Problem! Can't wait to see it with the glass in there...should look pretty sweet! Hey don't worry about that side of the truck...you should see my truck right now...parts EVERYWHERE!!! Hey by the way...I see you said your sander went kaputz. If you have a grinder, they do have sanding wheels for those and the work awesome! Lot faster than a conventional sander...just have to be carful not to take too much off. Until later my friend!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:41 AM
cfrives3
Posting Guru
I need my in-line sander replaced, some call it an air board, some call it a cheese grater type. It is about 1 foot long. It helps to take all the waviness out, as I am not a professional body man. I just like for it to look that way when I am done. I still have my D.A. and it still works great. I'll post next time I get some money to work on it again. Oh yeah- the brown I used looks more like the darker brown tops on the later model EB's, not our model. My wife and I like it better. I may go park by my original top and take a pic so you can see the difference.

I did see that you picked the best 3 pics of the 5. That's cool. I wanted everyone to be able to see what I was talking about when I said "moon" visor.

I got a pic of the sub box with the 15's in it too. For some reason it didn't want to work yesterday.

Last edited by cfrives3; 08-26-2007 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Update-project Eddie Bauer