Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gibson headers & exhaust system

Old 07-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just purchased an 88 bronco with a stock 302/AOD. I am considering puting new exhaust and headers on and found the gibson to be fairly reasonble in price and performance on paper that is. Has anyone had an experience with this setup or just the headers themselves. Or is there a better combo out there. thanks

Old 07-11-2002, 12:34 AM
Riso79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 93 with a 351 and I have had Gibson headers on it for almost a year now and i love them. Originally I had only a Borla exhaust and that made absolutely difference. I added the headers and they boosted up the throttle responce. They didn't make the truck any louder. I wanted a deeper sound so had 3" pipe installed after the cats and a dual chamber flowmaster muffler. The whole system has been on the truck for almost a year now and it sounds great. It's not too loud, with the windows rolled up its almost silent. Most of the sound of the engine roaring comes from the intake.

Old 07-12-2002, 11:49 PM
beratte
Senior User

Do you have the shorty headers with the cat still intact or did you cut it all out and go with a true dual setup? Thanks

Old 07-15-2002, 09:27 AM
adelyser
Elder User

I am looking for a set of headers for my '94 EB, and from what it sounds like, if you still have the cat's, then the headers must have been a bolt up installation? I don't want to have to change the Y-pipe, but I plan on removing the second cat and going cat-back from there.

Old 07-16-2002, 01:31 AM
Riso79
Senior User

I have the shorty headers with the factory y-pipe and cats. I had from the factory, the larger y-pipes and cats. I know Bazanni makes a replacement y-pipe with one cat that sells for about $300. The exhaust with the 3" pipe is a single pipe that exits in the factory location. It would have been too hard and expensive to run dual pipes, the journey to get that pipe to exit behind the other tire, and still be smog legal was just not worth it.

Old 07-16-2002, 10:44 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-Jul-02 AT 11:45 PM (EST)]I've got the Bassani performance Y-pipe (2.5" pipes into a single 3" pipe feeding into a single 3" in / out high-flow converter). From there, I'm feeding into a single 3" in / dual 2.5" out Flowmaster 50-series SUV muffler. I like the system, but I can't really vouch for the mileage or power increases, as the 302 started to go south shortly after I upgraded the exhaust. I just pulled it last weekend, and after the rebuild I'll be replacing the stock manifolds with JBA headers. Check out Gibson, Bassani, and JBA headers are supposed to be direct bolt-on's to a stock system.

Old 07-17-2002, 07:46 AM
Techols
New User

I can vouch for the Edelbrock headers. They bolt straight up to the stock Y pipe. Throttle response is greatly improved, and of course the sound. Watch out for your spark plug wires(I lost a set).

For now I'm running cats only, but soon will have a custom H pipe built for true duals that will exit out the side through the rear rocker in front of the tires (the pipe will be routed between the frame and body via body lift)

Old 07-23-2002, 04:33 PM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

it sounds like i might need exhaust a lot sooner then i expected, I was climbing a grade and dumped it into 2nd gear. after i did that i notice a slight leak on the passenger side. i figured i blew the gasket out. hopfully its nothing else. the rest of the pipe looks like the original equipment. The other thing i noticed was that I have two cats on mine. I know this was a california bronco at one time i guess thats why.
I'll probably get the gibson headers, but have a shop do the rest of the exhaust with some high flow cats and maybe a flowmaster.

how much were your edelbrock headers.

thanks

Old 07-23-2002, 08:45 PM
countryboy29
Junior User