Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior User

oscarxyz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Took her for a drive today - 60 F100 w/ 223 flat 6

Actually this is my 2nd drive.
I took her to the mechanic last week (15 miles away).
Temp hoovered around 180.
Oil pressure, between 40 - 55.

I am in the great state of Missouri with it's small rolling hills. Just enough to force you to downshift every once in a while.

Mechanic worked on a couple of non-engine related things (brakes and replaced gasket between manifold and exhaust pipe).

Coming back home I noticed a couple of things I had not while driving out.
Temp climbed to 200 after working the hills (downshift and all) and then slowly settled back to 185.
Oil pressure still rolled between 40 - 60. I would have guessed it would hold still. Am I wrong in my thinking? Do I have a potential problem?
Engine sounded good, (this is the original engine) except when I had to work her (hills). When putting my foot into it, the engine sounded like rasping a couple pieces of metal together (not quite the bogging down of current engines, more metallic sounding).

It sounded bad to me. I was glad when I could get back to cruise/coast speed because it sounded normal then (at least more like what I was expecting).

I guess I am curious, since I am not an engine man. Am I about to blow up my engine or does the flatties have a tendency to sound harsh when being worked?

I did enjoy the ride.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Post Fiend

Snowking has a very good reputation on FTE.Snowking has a very good reputation on FTE.Snowking has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm sure you figured out about now, wrong forum. Don't worry we all started at one time. The 215 was the flathead six. (I think).
Old 03-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior User

oscarxyz is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm learning....
Old 03-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Posting Guru

ksmith203 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
226 was also a flathead 6.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
The little flathead six only came in the 226 cid. There were two series - G and H.
G was pre-'48 and H was post-'48.

There is also a 254 ci M series flathead six found in the larger trucks.

In '52 Ford introduced the 215 ci OHV six in trucks. The 215 then grew into the 223 about '54.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Posting Guru

ksmith203 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great info mtflat...Keep it coming. I want to get as many of these 6 cyl engines as possible.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6