Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor install help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
ForTiLLiaN
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Compressor install help

My A/C compressor gave out on my 94 F150 5.0 EFI.. I got a brand new one, with also the Dryer, and some kind of small filter. Ive got the dryer installed, and the compressor, but i was also givin a small amound of ester oil, im not sure how much to use and where. And also, i dont know where to replace this filter at. The filter is narror and about 3 in. long. Any help with where to replace this filter and how much of this oil to use would be great.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 PM
ForTiLLiaN
Freshman User
Ok, so this is where im at. I found out to put around 5oz. into the compressor, and about 2oz. into the Dryer. I have it all installed. No when refilling with R134a. I turned the A/C to max, and connected to the low line and started my fill. Halfway through the first can i was able to fill to 45psi, (max fill pressure), and the compressor would not enguage. So i jumped it. I let it run for a minute and then started to fill more. With the compressor on, my pressure guage reads 0psi, but when i disconnect the my jumper to disenguage the compressor it will read right at 45psi. Right now the compressor is cycleing. With the guage connected to low side it will rise to 45psi, the compressor kicks on, the pressure then will drop to 20psi(lowest operating pressure) here the compressor kicks off. Any thoughts on this?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 PM
ForTiLLiaN
Freshman User
My question is will the pressure be HIGH on the low side when the compressor kicks off? and in the safe range when the compressor kicks on? Should i actually jump the compressor and then charge till it reads correct pressure?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM
F150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The quick cycling is normal when the charge is low.
You can keep the jumper on until you fully recharge the system.
Then take the jumper off.

I hope you pulled a vacuum before you started the recharge.

Keep an eye on the high side pressure. It varies from system to system but it should not exceed the 300 psi range. If it does, stop because you have a blockage some where.

The little screen you purchased is called the orifice tube. It controls the refrigerant flow in the system. There is a u shaped tube with a spring lock connection at the evaporator housing. the orifice tube is inside the metal tube. There is a special tool that hooks on to the orifice tube so you can pull it out. You can also use a long drywall screw. It will destroy the old orifice tube but it's one way to get it out if you don't have the proper tool. That screen can get clogged by small particles so you should have replaced it or cleaned it.

Last edited by F150xlt; 03-08-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:02 PM
ScreaminZ
Freshman User
When the compressor is off, the pressure will be the same throughout the system. Once the compressor starts running is when you get your pressure differential. High side pressure goes high, Low side goes low. The pressure you want to watch is the Low pressure side while the compressor is running. That is your fill pressure.

There is an A/C forum on this site. I would suggest you go take a look at it. All of this type of stuff has been covered there many times.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:10 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

The small screen is an "Oriphis tube" it is in the tube that runs from you're reciever/drier into the tube that goes to the e-coil (evaporator coil) you'll need a tool like a fuel line disconnect tool to undo this. They can really be a pain in the *** to get out. It catch's debri in the system.

If it isn't replaced the warranty usually is voided on the compressor.