Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Oil Change Instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:05 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usally just drain all my oil out. Fill the filter, install everything. Then i add the rest of the 15 quarts start it wait for the oil pressure to come up and drive it out.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J.D
Izzy, The oil that I sucked out of the HPOP was darker than the pan oil, I cant explain whats going on. DaveWilliams probably hit the nail on the head. Probably this oil doesn't join the main stream as much.
///SNIP///
That makes sense -- I was just trying to figure out why it wouldn't be in the same condition as the oil in the pan. I didn't realize the flow through there was so much less. I'm certainly not an old verteran either, so thanks for passing that on. I guess when I switch my dino Rotella to syn on the next change I'll do the same thing...

Joe
------------------------------------------
2002 7.3L F250 XLT CrewCab ShortBed 2WD

Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 AM
J.D
Senior User
Izzy, I'm probably the least person of knowledge when it comes to what motovates things on this engine. One would think that since it's a pump it would circulate the oil from within. So far my expertize is (if you can call it that) the oil changes, UVC harnesses, 2818 filter, GP Relay. My P/S 7.3 never really needed any help, so I never had to learn. I hope it's because of all the oil changes. Joe

Old 03-09-2007, 09:32 AM
CptSD
Senior User
So why would you guys change to Synthetic rather than Dino in the 7.3. I am pretty **** about maintanance myself and considered switching to Synthetic awhile back in my 6.0 but it was explained to me that unless you are going to extend the oil change intervals i.e. 7500 or 10000, or run a bypass filter and really extend them. It is simply just not worth the money.
I plan on changing the oil every 5k (or less)in the 7.3 just like I do in the 6.0...
This is very cheap insurance and peace of mind...

thanks,

JB

Old 03-09-2007, 09:49 AM
J.D
Senior User
I have been accused of changing my oil to much, well that's just me. The truck has treated me right and I dont have any other repairs to spend the money on. I just converted from Dino to Sync, both Rotella. I was hesitant but did it anyhow because the oil needed to be changed. Unless it's me everything acts differant. The starts are better, the idle seems higher, smoother, quieter, and I'm sure the sync will protect better then dino, but that's just my opinion. My truck runs much better. I pull a heavy 5th Whl, 12k and need clean oil. I plan on changing the sync every 6k. I only have the stock oil filter system. I'm not saying that I wont have problems down the road with the oil, but now I love it.

Last edited by J.D; 03-09-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:05 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
OMG you guys are ****. I just pour in all 4 gallons (some of it in the new filter) and call it good. 50+ oil changes later and no problems. I have checked the oil less than 5 times in the 8 years I've had the truck.
I'm happy that you've never had problems in 50+ oil changes and that you only check it 5X every 8 years.......Particularly when you put 16 quarts into a 15-quart capacity engine.......I choose to ensure NOT overfilling......Call me crazy or ****, or whatever.......

Are you suggesting to the OP that he just dump, *****-nilly, into his own crankcase (after putting some into the filter), 16-quarts of oil into a 15-quart capacity engine?.....Even knowing that not all of the previous oil is drained from the engine when you dump the previous oil?......

Good luck, and I hope that you have another trouble-free 8 years......

Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CptSD
So why would you guys change to Synthetic rather than Dino in the 7.3. I am pretty **** about maintanance myself and considered switching to Synthetic awhile back in my 6.0 but it was explained to me that unless you are going to extend the oil change intervals i.e. 7500 or 10000, or run a bypass filter and really extend them. It is simply just not worth the money.
I plan on changing the oil every 5k (or less)in the 7.3 just like I do in the 6.0...
This is very cheap insurance and peace of mind...

thanks,

JB
I *do* plan on extending my changes a bit with the syn. I usually went 5k on my Ranger with the syn, but only 3k on dino. The other thing is that I just prefer & believe in syn lubricants. By the time I'm done, I'll have the whole thing swapped to syn (I also did that in my Ranger). Some folks believe the dino is fine (and obviously it is), but there are benefits to syn that I want to take advantage of. My truck only has 64k on it now (I put 4k on it less than 2 months), so it has whole lot of life left in it. The previous services were all written with a sharpie on the coolant tank, so I know it was well taken care of. I plan on keeping it in top shape so my daughter can drive it when she's old enough (she's 12 now). I will be using Blackstone to keep an eye on things, so there should be no problems extending the changes.

Joe

Old 03-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
Are you suggesting to the OP that he just dump, *****-nilly, into his own crankcase (after putting some into the filter), 16-quarts of oil into a 15-quart capacity engine?.....Even knowing that not all of the previous oil is drained from the engine when you dump the previous oil?......

Good luck, and I hope that you have another trouble-free 8 years......
Yep. 16 quarts total, not in addition to the filter. The filter takes about a quart and a half or so I'd guess, so 14.5 into the valve cover. I guess there is another quart or so in the HPOP but that isn't really taken into account in oil changes. Thanks for the luck, I'm sure it will be fine. Many, many PSD's out there running that much oil.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
CptSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Izzy351
I *do* plan on extending my changes a bit with the syn. I usually went 5k on my Ranger with the syn, but only 3k on dino. The other thing is that I just prefer & believe in syn lubricants. By the time I'm done, I'll have the whole thing swapped to syn (I also did that in my Ranger). Some folks believe the dino is fine (and obviously it is), but there are benefits to syn that I want to take advantage of. My truck only has 64k on it now (I put 4k on it less than 2 months), so it has whole lot of life left in it. The previous services were all written with a sharpie on the coolant tank, so I know it was well taken care of. I plan on keeping it in top shape so my daughter can drive it when she's old enough (she's 12 now). I will be using Blackstone to keep an eye on things, so there should be no problems extending the changes.

Joe
I can understand and believe that synthetic definately has some advantages over dino. If you are going to extend the oil change intervals....As you said you were.
I have changed my oil at 5k on the 6.0 religiously (just did 60k service) and all Blackstone reports have come back good so far on dino.(will do the same for the 7.3)
Joe, I am assuming if I'm understanding correctly you have been doing the same on your 7.3... So I'm wondering if you've had OA's done and how they've turned out to this point.

JB

Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
ponch37300
Elder User
I switched to rotella synthetic last oil change for the easy starts in cold winter weather. I don't get to plug my truck in at night so it sits for 12 hours outside in the cold and i wanted to do everything i could to make sure it would start in the morning. Also i am going to try to see how extended oil change intervals work out. I am at 5000 miles right now and will be changing the oil and sending a sample to blackstone for a oa and see what they recommend.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:47 PM
J.D
Senior User
The same for me. The most important for me was all the info I've been reading from 3-4 forums about some sort of MPG increases. Anything, I can do to help with that I will do. So far my truck starts better, runs smother, is quieter when warm. I wont know of any increases in MPG until later. I have use Rotella T since 99' and keep using it. I just went to the Rotella 5-40 Sync. and I am absolutely, 100% happy after only one week. But who knows, only time will tell. There are so many oils out there and they all have there own special hype. Who knows, after I do my own testing I will know. I will never (thats just me) let my oil run for extended periods (not thats there anything wrong with that), I'm just frigon to **** for that. 6k will my limits. That will be every 6 months.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CptSD
I can understand and believe that synthetic definately has some advantages over dino. If you are going to extend the oil change intervals....As you said you were.
I have changed my oil at 5k on the 6.0 religiously (just did 60k service) and all Blackstone reports have come back good so far on dino.(will do the same for the 7.3)
Joe, I am assuming if I'm understanding correctly you have been doing the same on your 7.3... So I'm wondering if you've had OA's done and how they've turned out to this point.

JB
I just got my truck in January, so I haven't logged a lot of hours turning wrenches on it yet. I will send this dino Rotella to get an OA done at 5k just for reference. I have a while to go yet on it, so it will be another month or two before I do it. I bought the truck with just over 60k on it, and did the last change at 63, which is when the sticker on the window said it was due. I have a buddy that used to work for Cat, and another that works on all our diesel generators, so I've been picking their brains. They both drive Dodges, so I'm always giving them crap.

There are several other guys that have PSDs, so we're pretty even. A few have the HD Chevys, but none are diesel. They also get a good ration of s&#t, too...

Joe