6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Stick or auto in 450

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 PM
lkbenson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick or auto in 450

I would like to hear the opinions from the fine people on this forum that do a LOT of towing. Would you buy a 6 speed stick or the automatic tranny. I'm not talking about city driving with it's stop and go traffic and I'm not talking about which is better for beating your buddy's Dodge Ram at the traffic light. I'm talking about towing a reasonably heavy (12,000#) trailer around the country looking for a place to retire. I realize a clutch needs to be replaced around 100k on the stick but I also know from experience that the auto in my current 2001 truck is a $3500 replacement that you can almost bank on after 100K miles. I guess what I am really asking is if you could have your choice and not have to fight city stop and go traffic which would you buy, initial cost and resale value not being a consideration?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:12 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
I would get the auto, I pull 12k everyday in the city no problems. the new trans. is pretty good. and will be much better for backing in that parking spot.I THINK THE KEY TO THE AUTO IS SERVICE, every 30k. thats what I do and they give me great service.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Hunter40
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new truck will have a stick. I have always had a stick and like the way they tow. My current has an auto due to it's tow/haul mode and how much better it is over previous models. However, when towing, I find myself really wishing for the stick. The tranny doesn't always shift when I expect it to, and I find that it shifts quite frequently on small hills that my 7.3 manual would not need to. Further, you just don't have the same control over the load that you do with a manual. Not towing, it is much less labor intensive, but, like you, I do a lot of towing. I will be going back to the 6 speed.

As far as longevity, I think the torqueshift will hold up, seems stout. When it does go it'll be expensive. If you were to have to replace a clutch at 100k you'd probably still be cheaper (at least in the same ballpark) than paying for the three torqueshift tranny services that would be required in that same amount of miles.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 AM
16diesel
Senior User
with the secound turbo givin u almost instant boost, i would say the stick

Old 03-08-2007, 11:25 AM
1968gtcs
Senior User
I had the same dilemma when I ordered my F450. My last 2 dually's were both the 6 speeds. Loved the 6 speed. You definitely have more control with the manual. But now the bad news. The 6.4L motor is detuned on the F450 with the 6 speed. Does not matter what rear end you get, it's detuned. I needed to tow around 20K, but the 6 speed was only good for 19K with the 4:88. It seams that the 6 speed has reached its limit at 28K, (Truck plus 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel load). I had done quite a bit of research on this, even calling back to some regional Ford reps to find this out. I ended up getting stuck with an automatic with the 4:30’s this time around. For once it looks like the automatic is stronger than the manual. I really hope they upgrade the manual in the coming years. I would go back to it in a heart beat.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:47 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1968gtcs
I had the same dilemma when I ordered my F450. My last 2 dually's were both the 6 speeds. Loved the 6 speed. You definitely have more control with the manual. But now the bad news. The 6.4L motor is detuned on the F450 with the 6 speed. Does not matter what rear end you get, it's detuned. I needed to tow around 20K, but the 6 speed was only good for 19K with the 4:88. It seams that the 6 speed has reached its limit at 28K, (Truck plus 5<SUP>th</SUP> wheel load). I had done quite a bit of research on this, even calling back to some regional Ford reps to find this out. I ended up getting stuck with an automatic with the 4:30’s this time around. For once it looks like the automatic is stronger than the manual. I really hope they upgrade the manual in the coming years. I would go back to it in a heart beat.
Sometimes its not that the manual is weaker, its just that the automatic is less stressful to the ujoints, prop. shaft, axles and differential.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:04 PM
1968gtcs
Senior User
Originally Posted by origcharger
Sometimes its not that the manual is weaker, its just that the automatic is less stressful to the ujoints, prop. shaft, axles and differential.
That might be true, but what I was told is that the internals of the trans and clutch had reach there limit. Which really blows.. I will miss my 6 speed.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:49 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is detuned on the auto as well (with 4.88's).

Old 03-08-2007, 06:55 PM
1968gtcs
Senior User
Originally Posted by kimminau2
It is detuned on the auto as well (with 4.88's).
Yep, And the is one of the reasons I went with the 4:30's

Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 PM
CATANG MOTORSPORTS
Junior User
A No Brainer for me. 6 speed manual is the only way to go if you enjoy driving and want the best performance. I tow an 18000 pound 48' enclosed race car trailer and have never had one problem over 20 plus years of towing with a manual. Also the one time I had to pull a diesel engine for the infamous antifreeze additive issue in the mind 90's, I had 105K miles on the truck and I bought a clutch disc to replace it seeing it was out of the truck. I ended up returning it as the wear was negligible on the old one. But I am very easy on trucks. I do know people that are terrible with clutches. So also depends on your driving style.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 PM
1968gtcs
Senior User
Originally Posted by CATANG MOTORSPORTS
A No Brainer for me. 6 speed manual is the only way to go if you enjoy driving and want the best performance. I tow an 18000 pound 48' enclosed race car trailer and have never had one problem over 20 plus years of towing with a manual. Also the one time I had to pull a diesel engine for the infamous antifreeze additive issue in the mind 90's, I had 105K miles on the truck and I bought a clutch disc to replace it seeing it was out of the truck. I ended up returning it as the wear was negligible on the old one. But I am very easy on trucks. I do know people that are terrible with clutches. So also depends on your driving style.
But, Unfortunately the 6 speed has reached its limit at 19K 5th wheel rating. It is also detuned on the 450.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:09 PM
F-1CLEVELAND
Freshman User
as an employee of a ford dealer my personal opnion would always be stick. On the other hand fromthe average complaints of customers the auto is much more desireble.. Compaired to the 7.3 (witch I own) the 6.0 and 6.4 share a much lighter rotating mass in the engine. This means ( not turbo lag ) that its going to bog easier under engagement at higher loads equals more slipping, hotter grabby clutch and less life. Keep the autos cool and thier fine.. I like stick too but now there becomeing extinct.