General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

any of you getting soliciting text messages

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:17 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down any of you getting soliciting text messages

around 7 pm last night my phone went off beeping with a text message,

it was from 949-228-7469

im like who the hell is this????
it said

paul,
"would you like to receive free no obligation quotes to refinance your mortgage?
y for yes, n for no, stop for no more messages."

i replied stop.

a minute later it came back as

"you are no unsuscribed for any more messages."

anyone had this before this is the first time it happened to me. i dont even own a home and have not applied for a mortgage. i hope this isnt going to be a frequent thing. i have verizon wireless, and would like to thank them for soliciting my name and number.

plus im sure it will count against me as a text message usage. what a bunch of garbage.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We are going to see more of this plus more viruses.

I think the law changed a year or two back and the junkmail artists are going to be sending junk mail to your cell phone more and more. Plus junk calls.

Also cell phones are becoming more popular for viruses. It is a whole new territory for those losers who want to create worthless viruses.

Jim Henderson

Old 03-09-2007, 10:27 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
great
i guess this whole thing with walmart just went through with one of there employees intercepting text messages, things will probably get ugly with cell phones.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
anyone who has incriminating pics on there phone, its probably a good idea to delete them.
you know guys the ones that have your wives checking the oil and you come up from behind to assist her with your dip..............

Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 AM
wizzard351
Postmaster
ive got some intreasting msgs also.thought it was from **** thing after my wife called the number she found out it was the previous number owner exgirl freind sendin him proposioning msgs! no wonder that guy changed his number i just had to be the unlucky one to get it next

Old 03-09-2007, 10:45 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i encourage people to start writing their congressmen and demand cell phones be added to the no call list and that there be enforcement for the no call list.... because right now its a joke

Matt

Old 03-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freirefishing
i have verizon wireless, and would like to thank them for soliciting my name and number.
I started getting them directly from verizon wireless. I called them and told them one more and I was terminating my service. They did something and I never got another one.

Now if I could only get rid of that 16 year old girl in Nebraska who texts me every time she gets drunk.....at least for a couple years.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
i have no problems with it, because of 3 very basic steps i took when i got my phone.

#1: i had text messaging blocked, so even if you try, you can't send me text messages.

#2: i have my phone set up so if you have caller id blocker turned on, you will get a message that "i do not accept calls with caller id blocker enabled. if you want to talk to me, you must first disable your caller id blocker."

#3: i registered both my cell phone and house phone numbers with the national do not call registry when it first started. since they started the registry, my telemarketer calls dropped from 10-15 per day, to zero.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i have no problems with it, because of 3 very basic steps i took when i got my phone.

#1: i had text messaging blocked, so even if you try, you can't send me text messages.

#2: i have my phone set up so if you have caller id blocker turned on, you will get a message that "i do not accept calls with caller id blocker enabled. if you want to talk to me, you must first disable your caller id blocker."

#3: i registered both my cell phone and house phone numbers with the national do not call registry when it first started. since they started the registry, my telemarketer calls dropped from 10-15 per day, to zero.

Great post!

#1. I only accept text messages from my two daughters, and my oldest son.
I don't even look at any others.

#2 (above) is incredibly smart!

#3. Also on 'do not call' list.
These (so-and-so callers) are now using the 'Would you like to take a survey?" as a way around the list.

My reply. . . . "Survey this. Don't freakin' call me ever again. Do you understand, moron?"

"Click."

I hate telephones.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:12 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
i answer the do you want to take a survey with this:" if i wanted to talk to a telemarketer or survey jabbermouth, i would not have singed up for the do not call list. i have your phone number, and name, and will be reporting you to the do not call registry". with that, i hang up on them before they can say anything. and then go online, and report them.

there was one group of people who thought they were smart two town over. i reported them to the feds, along with about 400 other people. only i reported them over 50 times in a 3 week period.
not only did i get their phone info, but i also googled it before google stopped doing it, and got the address the phone was registered to.
then i called the local police dept, and explained what i was going to do. the officer in charge was a friend of mine, and had also been getting calls from them, so he sent a few patrol cars to "assist me"

i went to the house at 2 in the afternoon, and planter a 4ftX8ft sign in the front yard stating that " the occupants of this residence are participating in a telephone telemarketing ring."
and at the bottom of the sign, the phone # that was doing the calling was listed.

the neighboring town folk almost killed the people in the house. cause they went away for a few days, and left the autodialer on. when they came home, everyone know it was them.
in the end, they were run out of town, and the feds caught up with them. all the equipment was confiscated, and they were fined over $50,000 for failure to use the do not call list.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I get this all the time now at work.
The phone will ring and the caller ID will say "Toll free" and 1-000-000-0000 as the number.
??????????????????????
I pick up the phone and immediatly the caller hangs up. I am assuming it's a dialing computer that is calling every number just to see if it's answered.
I have added every number that I have to the do not call list and I still get harrassed.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
SpyFoxx
Senior User
My solution - I don't own a cell phone. Just check one out at work if I need it for the road.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:52 PM
wrobo23
Elder User
Originally Posted by Nitramjr

Now if I could only get rid of that 16 year old girl in Nebraska who texts me every time she gets drunk.....at least for a couple years.
remember.. only 16.. not legal hahah

Old 03-09-2007, 10:07 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I disabled mine, Text messaging is lame

Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 AM
mymechanic'sanidiot
Elder User
Not to mention the fact that we'll probably be charged for all those unsolicited solicitation text messages. At anywhere from 10 cents a pop to 25 cents each, folks' cell phone bills will skyrocket. Cause you know the telemarketing industry will get it that way.

Quick Reply: any of you getting soliciting text messages