Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General NON-Automotive Conversation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

View Poll Results: AMD or Intel processor; Which do you like?
AMD! 31 52.54%
Intel! 19 32.20%
Other (what kind?) 0 0%
Don't matter as long as it runs? 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Post Fiend

rusty70f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rusty70f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by furball69
hehe, If I can say one thing about the box, it that this is my first legit copy of an OS since '91... so that's one advantage of buying a box, I guess.
Watch what you say on the internet! They can, and probably would like to, track you down.

I would, and have, never used or sold any pirated software, including operating systems. Sure, it costs more, but when I explain it to the customers that their computers are legal, they are grateful, and come back for more!

Dont like Bill Gates' operating systems? Here's my favorite alternative, which I'm still learning about:

http://fedora.redhat.com/

Sorry for going off topic.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:45 AM
Postmaster

furball69 has a very good reputation on FTE.furball69 has a very good reputation on FTE.furball69 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Well, this is the only PC I have and I basically said it's running legit OS. I don't think they can bust me for that. I have no use for outdated OS so they've been given away with the old PC.

I can't outrun bullets, but I might outrun an *alien* with an empty gun.

My fuel economy calculators
Old 03-10-2007, 06:36 AM

captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.captchas has a great reputation on FTE.
i used to be a intell only guy till i got my new amd dual 64 bit powered laptop and now learned i was wrong. these chips do fly better esp when useing vista
Old 03-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Senior User

lswartz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It depends on your use & what is important for you.

Build your own - AMD. After 5 different (& still running) CPUs I can't argue with success.

Video rendering - I would be looking at Intel.

Looks - Apple (a bit over priced though & Intel CPUs now)
Old 03-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Posting Legend

preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
I have two newer laptops, one with the amd, and one with intel. The intel crushes the amd one for speed. In my desktop I run intel, and it does get a tad hotter then an amd, but it is faster, and seems to be more reliable. I dont have a desktop amd anymore because the last one i had fried, I tried intel and stuck with it.

A good fist fight never hurts anyone... except my opponent.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Senior User

fearfactory is starting off with a positive reputation.
Me and my buddy argued about intel vs amd, so he finally started readin on the new core2duo and decided it was better then the amd. I know this will prob be a repost or everyone here has seen it but I just had to post the link of this very old video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto
Old 03-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior User

NASA_Hokie is starting off with a positive reputation.
AMD in trouble?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070309/...ing_fortunes_2
Old 03-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Old School

arctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputationarctic y block has a superb reputation
Good link NASA. Come on Barcelona. AMD has had problems before (mid 90's) And recovered. I believe they will be in the game a long time. I have bench tested both chips in identical environments. And Intel always over heated and failed before AMD.
Intel can't take the heat. I believe that AMD may be slower getting there new chip out. But when It comes it is always better. This because they make sure it is right before marketing.

85 XLT Bronco 351W HO 4V Dual Pipes 33X12.5 BFG's
62 Uni 390 C6 Custom Cab Sold for 9.5K
Don't just Modify it Fordify it
A Side Arm Is Like A Parachute, Tis Better To Have One An Never Need It, Than To Need One And Not Have It

Old 03-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Post Fiend

lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.lariat97 has a spectacular reputation.
I met the president of AMD Friday. I repaired a cabinet in his lake house. He had the newest top of the line AMD unit in his home. Its liquid cooled & the biggest home unit I've ever seen. Its internals are at -8 degrees. He claims their new units are the fastest gaming units on the market. I will definately look at AMD for my next computer.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Post Fiend

rusty70f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rusty70f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic y block
I believe they will be in the game a long time.
I thought the same thing about 3dfx back in the year 2000. A good product does not always mean a successful company. It's all about power and control. Look at Microsoft for a good example of this.

Last edited by rusty70f100; 03-11-2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 03-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Postmaster

furball69 has a very good reputation on FTE.furball69 has a very good reputation on FTE.furball69 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The problem AMD is having is caused by fickle investors, they buy in, make a ton of money and drop it like a hot potato, taking their money with them... it has nothing to do with the product itself.

I can't outrun bullets, but I might outrun an *alien* with an empty gun.

My fuel economy calculators
Old 03-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
: AMD is in big trouble....no matter who caused it...sad but true
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 03-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Senior User

99-B-4000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've always used Intel thats what my computers came with. And after all that the debate goes on!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
I prefer AMD, I have run their chips since the pre-Pentium days. I used to make fun of a friend of mine, he had a P100, I had a 486-100 AMD, and just flat out ran circles around him on just about everything.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Freshman User

RickTheStick is starting off with a positive reputation.
when the P4 first came out, the AMD killed it, but it was really a software issue. in that the software devs needed to right code to take advatage of the "think ahead" that intel was using. basically chips thought 9 moves, and the P4 was like 25.....if it guessed wrong (sw code issues), it was slow to recover. Once that was fixed they were equal. For most it wont matter, but AMD is usually the pick for high end gaming machines. The Macs are still the standard for hihg end graphic use....AMD would be my pick, but then I OC mine, and Intel tends to run at the edge of it's advertized speed, where AMD leave a little in reserve. It is a pickem though...
Old 03-11-2007, 08:46 PM