1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Banks Power Pack System

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:36 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Banks Power Pack System

hey everyone, i'm thinkin about getting the Banks Power Pack System: http://store.bankspower.com/Categories.aspx?Category=c93d9a29-5ca3-467e-99b9-70971e8cdc56 on my '97 f350 and i'm wondering what you guys think about it, right now i have dual 5" slash cut mbrp stacks so i won't be using the banks exhaust, has anyone had any trouble with this kit??

Old 03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
FFemt5287
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the stacks are all u ahve right now, id skip the banks kit and build your own. get a tymar (or make your own) intake, a tony wildman or dp chip, and put together your own intercooler from a 6.0. not sure what you'd have to do about the IC pipes, but someone will chime in on that. all in all, alot cheaper than the banks kit and you'll make more power. dont forget guages!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:54 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

That kit runs around $2800 right? well for that kind of money you can make alot more power. Like said above

tymar intake $130
Guages (trans, boost, EGT) $300
DP or Tony's chip $425
BTS valve body $225
Superduty IC (using early 99 intake syder and building your own pipe) $250
DIY injectors $300

Grand Total $1930
Savings $900
HP doubled over banks!

also a note on banks power claims. They are done to a California model truck with 120cc AB (stock for CA model) injectors which can just plain make more power than a federal emissions truck. Banks has great products but they are generic and expensive. The performance tunes you can get from DP or Tony can blow away a banks chip any day and twice on Sunday!

Even if you don't want to build your own pipe kit for the intercooler you can buy the banks pipe kit seperate for something like $6-700. so then your dead even with cost and still doubled the HP of the banks kit.

Last edited by tjbeggs; 03-06-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

oh yeah the banks kit comes with the quick turbine housing too. thats avaibible else where (its the same thing all made by borg warner) for about $160 but if you do the injectors you will want to stay with the stock exhaust turbo housing. but even if you didn't you could afford to buy it anyway since you saved all that money on better stuff!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:21 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
thanks for the input, it actually costs around $3300 i believe... i don't really have the time (i'm 16) to build my own stuff till the summer rolls around, so as for right now i'm just trying to buy stuff, i knew that there was much better stuff than the banks kit, but i just assumed it would cost more, oh and where can i find all this stuff that you guys are takling, i'm so bad with searching for crap.... thanks again for the input!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:36 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
oh and also what about tranny and tc stuff?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(click here)
They have some of the stuff

Use google as your search engine and 99% of the time you will get what your searching for.

I was like you 3 years ago. Banks has to be the best because everyone talks about them and they have ads in mags. I have spent a little less then the powerpack amount of money on mine and have twice the truck. Keep in mind that with a stock 49 state truck you will not made any more than 75 hp over stock. Banks used a cal truck like tjbeggs said, and uses that as their ad gains over stock. Seems wrong because 90% (if not more) of us have a 49 state truck that will make way less power.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

WOW!!!! $3300! Holy crap ole Gale is living high on the HOG!

Ok contact info for performance parts
Tymar intake/down pipe http://www.tymarperformance.com/ call the phone number

Gauges talk to tymar or
http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...mode=cat_click
any many other places

Chip- DP-tuner http://www.dp-tuner.com/73tuning.htm
Tony Wildman http://www.totaldieselperformance.com/

BTS Valve Body- Don't have a link maybe somebody else does

DIY Injectors- http://www.diy-injectors.com/

Intercooler- 7.3 or 6.0 cooler off ebay with tubes less than $200, technicooler kit from banks minus cooler $700, call banks

That just about covers it. For guages and intercoolers there are alot of other places you can look but those are the easiest. Also I noticed that in my first post I had gauges in there twice so the total of all my suggested parts is only $1630! now you can afford a triple disc billet torque converter from BTS also. Now you have a sweet truck that can compete with chipped superduties! and you have enough left over for a complete electric fuel system.

Come on back with more question if you want.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
wow! thanks for the links! and yeah i forgot about emmissions standards and everything now haha, but what they don't know won't hurt them right? haha

Last edited by glasseater; 03-06-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:50 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

oh yeah does your stack kit have a aftermarket downpipe with it? if not you need one of those before anything else. Add $150 from tymar! also the site foreman gave is a good one!

Old 03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
now i have a question, i live in new jersey, do you think i would get in trouble with any of this stuff? or only when i go through inspection (put it on stock tune)

Old 03-06-2007, 02:54 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

does new jersey do emmisions testing and visual safety inspection? the big thing you will run into trouble with is removing the Cat converter. Its federally illegal to do so. If you even have visual inspections you will need to just gut the cat and leave the shell in the system. IF you have emmissions tests just run the truck in the stock position even with the cat gutted you should pass.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:55 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
alright thanks, my stack kit doesn't come with the cat delete pipe anyway, i hear you don't gain much of an improvement without a cat anyway, and no my stack kit did not come with an aftermarket downpipe (i don't think so at least) it's actually sitting in my garage in the boxes waiting for me to take my truck through inspection so that i don't have to worry about that for 2 years, but i don't think that i saw a downpipe in it

Old 03-06-2007, 03:01 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I would get the down pipe before installing the stack kit. That way if it does come out exactly where the stock stuff does you don't need to redo the under side piping of your stacks.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:03 PM
glasseater
Posting Guru
ah alright, would a stock size downpipe work or do you mean upping it to like 4" from the stock size cause the piping for the stacks goes from 3" out of the downpipe till it goes under the bed where it goes to 4" than 5" on the chromed stacks

Quick Reply: Banks Power Pack System