General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aren't all SCT customized tunes also canned?

Old 03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
50calmike
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't all SCT customized tunes also canned?

This is not meant to cause controversy but aren't all tunes even customized really the same? For example, if I call one of the suppliers of specialized SCT tunes and ask for a mileage tune you can't possibly tell me that they write a different tune for me as they do the next guy asking for the same thing, except for maybe the year differences. My point is wouldn't the guy looking for max hp or torque from the same tuner/person be getting the same tunes as the next guy looking for the same thing. I assume the tune is done once and sold to the next guy wanting the same effects? Only way I think that any difference in tunes could be seen is to buy max hp from one programmer and then buy the next guys max hp tune. Yes there are more options this way but in the end my truck will not be any better than the next guy that has the same tune from the same tuner. Maybe I think too much but am I wrong?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
bneafus
Elder User
More people will chime in but, I think they take in to account elevation, tire size, load size for towing,axle ratio,exhaust, and many other factors...Brian

Old 03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
50calmike
Elder User
Thought I would have heard from a few of the sct regulars, but apparently i am right and they don't want to respond.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In many cases, yes, they are the same. Each programmer has his/her little pwer secrets, so each programmers tune is a bit different than another guys. I have three race files written by three different guys for my truck. Each one is a bit different in the way my truck runs with it. Also, each programmer must take into account: Tire Size, Axle Ratio, Intake, Exhaust, Injector Size, Head Studs Can take more pressure), NOS, Propane, Water/Meth, Fuel System, Aux Fuel Pump, etc. For me and my mods, they had to write a program. I'm sure they started with a boxed one and made modifications to fit me, but I dought mine would run right on another truck, unless he had my same mods.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by 50calmike
Thought I would have heard from a few of the sct regulars, but apparently i am right and they don't want to respond.
Have you ever done any custom 6.0L programming or seen the software to write the tunes?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:45 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
I have not responded because I have not visited the thread yet, mind you.

The base files that SCT includes with all SCT dealers' software package are generic "drop-in changes". These files are marketed by us dealers as the "generic" file package and generally sell at MAP pricing for 379 dollars.

We also offer a full set of true custom files with our tuners for 450 dollars. These are hand-written AFTER the customer has recieved the tuner and withdrawn the calibration code of the truck. They are started as a bone-stock calibration matching the number extracted from the PCM and written to customer specification and request for each and every file. No drop in values, no generic changes....I keep archived folders of each of our customers and correspondingly any of the custom files that I write. You would be hard pressed to find ANY of the custom files that are completely the same from value to value because I do not reference between then when writing files.

So to answer your question, at least from us, YES, they really are custom files.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 PM
50calmike
Elder User
Appreciate the responses. Matt, your response is what I was looking for, where you said that you don't reference others files. Kinda figured that once a file was written the same one was sold to the next guy. I'm glad to hear that I was wrong. What kind of torque do you feel that the trans in stock form can handle when programmed?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:02 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
What kind of torque do you feel that the trans in stock form can handle when programmed?
If properly tuned, around 850 base ft/lbs (775 rwtq). More than that is still acceptable if driven responsibly, but if driven hard will take its toll. As far as actual raw torque capacity (as in how much torque is needed to actually slip the direct drive pack AFTER proper engagement), it is well into the 1000+ range- the 3-5 upshift during torque phase is what takes its toll.