driver side window problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 07:53 PM
sabre737
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys,
gotta a little problem with my driverside window. (85 302efi xlt, power windows & locks) My window is not able to go back up. Instead when i push the button for up it just slips down in stages. Going up maybe a cm then dropping an inch or so, and this just keeps repeating. However when the window is about 2/3 closed, the window will go up without assitance. I pulled off the door panel all the gears seem to be fine (not positive they are) they're well greased and appear not to be stripped. (this was done mainly by feeling the gears since i cant see them that well) I also dont think its the window motor since it seems to be running fine and produces enough tourque to lower the window down smoothly. So at this point i'm out of ideas of what to look for. Possibly a ratio gear between the motor and main gear is stripped? and how to proceed since I really dont have thata good view and access to the window motor and gearing. Any help woulf be appreciated.

Dave

Old 08-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Mexray
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Aug-02 AT 10:40 PM (EST)]You've got the chronic Ford elec window problem...the small plastic sun gear assembly that slips onto the motor/drive unit is trashed and is causing that 'slipping' or 'jumping' you mention.

These gears break down over time - most auto parts stores have a metal gear set replacement for $10 or less.

You have to take the whole window regulator assembly out of your door. Drill out the four alum rivets that hold the regulator in place in order to get it out. I use duct tape to hold the glass in the closed position - just tape the glass to the door frame in a couple of places.

Unbolt the motor/drive from the regulator and you will see the trashed gear assembly that needs replacing.

I use very short 1/4 inch bolts, lock washers and nuts to put the regulator back in place - it's a bitch to get back in there with bolts, but you can get it out again if it breaks down when you are on the road somewhere.

I did this whole routine on the pass window and had it jam in the down position a few months later when I was in the desert in the middle of Baja Calif! I was able to take it apart and found the regulator rubber 'stop' was damaged, causing the reg to jam tight when 'down' and the motor wasn't strong enough to un-jam it. I had to be careful and not let it come all the way down till I could replace the regulator part - about $55 from Ford - ugh! Using those bolts allowed me to work on the thing down there near the cacti!

Have fun...

Old 08-18-2002, 10:56 PM
jsa100
New User

This is a real easy fix. Go to an auto parts store like big A or NAPA and ask for the electric motor rebuild kit. There is a shattered plastic gear that sits inside the motor area. Really cheap to fix yourself but pretty expensive to have done. Let me know if you need anything else.

Joe

Old 08-19-2002, 02:00 PM
sabre737
Freshman User

thanks guys,
pulled out the regulator and it was trashed. One rebuild kit later and my window works great, much faster then the passenger side one.... i think i'm gonna have to do this again now :-(
Thanks for the help
Dave

Old 08-19-2002, 04:56 PM
Harley Davidson
New User