6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo Lag

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:50 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo Lag

Hey, all-

I searched (quickly), but found no answer to this question:

Can I eliminate or reduce turbo lag without using a tuner?

The EGR disconnect works great, but not much on the bottom end, just mid-range power.

By the way, my first trailer haul over the SoCal mountains from San Diego to the Imperial Valley (6800' +/- a foot or two) of elevation change over 80 miles was a walk in the park! The MPG's took it on the chin, but I had power like MAD!!

Old 02-20-2007, 05:57 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
IMO...no...a tuner is the way to go, and an educated right foot.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Joms
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm...I need to figure out where to send my right foot to school....my back pocket would sure like that!.... I am thinking about unhooking my EGR...I have to take a short drive tonight pulling a trailer and might have to try it just to see how it works...

Old 02-20-2007, 06:19 PM
WishIhada7.3
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ozx3+1
Hey, all-

I searched (quickly), but found no answer to this question:

Can I eliminate or reduce turbo lag without using a tuner?

The EGR disconnect works great, but not much on the bottom end, just mid-range power.

By the way, my first trailer haul over the SoCal mountains from San Diego to the Imperial Valley (6800' +/- a foot or two) of elevation change over 80 miles was a walk in the park! The MPG's took it on the chin, but I had power like MAD!!
Exhaust,(no cat no muff)Intake elbow...do the zoodad mod...other than that there isnt much to my knowledge other than a tuner and A/M turbo that will reduce lag on these 6.0's.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:12 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Had a tuner in my '05 and '06 didn't help the lag much just gave more power at all ranges still had lag, has a greater kick in the butt when turbo comes in with a tuner. Decided warranty was more important and removed it after two weeks.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:41 PM
armymark
Senior User
Manual tranny, The autos just lose the feel of your baby.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:11 AM
tornsteel
New User
Joms: if you have a 06 I've heard that it will throw a code and kick on the CEL light. I believe that the 03 and the 04 will just throw the code. You can get a tuner to disable it.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 AM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Foot smarts

Originally Posted by Admin
IMO...no...a tuner is the way to go, and an educated right foot.
Thanks to all! It's looks like a wide range of possibilities, so I'll start on the intake/exhaust solutions first. Perhaps first, I'll spay-the-kitty. It looks like a no brainer The tuner will have to take third fiddle, right after a good intake solution.

What's a zoodad mod?
Now, if I could just get my right foot to wise-up!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:19 PM
fordextreme
Senior User
I think what they are talking about with sending your foot to school would be learning the technique of "Rolling" the throttle. Once you get the hang of it, turbo lag doesn't seem all that much, instead of just hitting the peddle expecting to be set back in your seat.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Excelerater
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tune it! Lag=zero

Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by fordextreme
I think what they are talking about with sending your foot to school would be learning the technique of "Rolling" the throttle. Once you get the hang of it, turbo lag doesn't seem all that much, instead of just hitting the peddle expecting to be set back in your seat.
Acknowledged! I have on occasion, and mostly on accident, experienced the effect you describe. I'll continue disciplining my foot. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
WishIhada7.3
Laughing Gas
keep the stock intake....dont blow your money on a aftermarket filter...get a intake elbow from intakelbows.com....theres is better than accufab's.. cut holes in front of the air box inlet with a whole saw.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by WishIhada7.3
keep the stock intake....dont blow your money on a aftermarket filter...get a intake elbow from intakelbows.com....theres is better than accufab's.. cut holes in front of the air box inlet with a whole saw.
Now I comprende' the ZOODAD MOD

Old 02-22-2007, 12:59 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

More questions

Originally Posted by WishIhada7.3
I'm communicating with Aaron, or intakeelboes.com, but thought I better float this one here.

My Q:
My truck is a ’03 6.0 PSD F350, but I don’t know if it has a throttle body under the elbow… Will that make a difference if it does?

Aaron's A:
If it is an ’03, it ‘should’ have the throttle body under there... FYI- I sent one guy a newer elbow [05-07] yesterday for his older truck with the throttle body. He removed the throttle body (easy 4 bolts), and is going to install the 05-07 elbow, which will bolt right up. He has an SCT tuner that doesn’t run the throttle body (it stays open), so he just unplugged the wires and it didn’t give any trouble codes. The reason I say this is because the 05-07 elbow is a little bit better, especially since the throttle body gets removed.

My Q:
OK, I’ll have a look at it. BTW, I don’t run a tuner. At the stock configuration, Is the PCM going to have an issue with my removing the throttle body/unplugging it? Erroneous codes are a drag!

Aaron's A:
I’m not sure if it will give a code or not with your truck being stock. If you are interested in the newer elbow, try unhooking the wires to the throttle body and see if it gives a code.

I don't see anything on ford-trucks.com about removing the throttle body on a PSD, only the throttle plate. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
You'll be fine doing that. No codes will appear on your truck as the throttle plate was removed from the strategy way way back when...... Yours might not even have a throttle plate.

Quick Reply: Turbo Lag