Intake and Header Install on 85 I-6 Pics - Not 56k friendly...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake and Header Install on 85 I-6 Pics - Not 56k friendly...

Got a deal on an offy intake and a set of split headers... Not sure what brand the headers are, but they clear everything perfectly (looks like it will be a P.I.T.A to change the starter now though) The intake is an Offenhauser "C" series single plane aluminum intake.

Here is a shot of the new stuff, they were used parts and the headers were rusted almost as bad as my Bronco's rear quarters... Anyway, I had them sand blasted and I sprayed them with some heat resistant flat black paint... I know I know... cheap, but they're just gonna get mud on them so what the heck...

Here was my engine before... Motorcraft 2bbl on an adapter plate with the stock cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds.

30 mins. later that and that ugly P.O.S. is gone... I love straight sixes, everything is so much easier to get to.

Look at how much more constricted the flow is here compared to the single plane offy intake in the first picture...

This bracket did something at some point... maybe A/C or the smog/air pump??? Not sure, this isn't the original motor and my Bronco never had A/C to start with, but I know all I need is the bottom end of the bracket to hold the alternator... the top part is right in the way of the front header tube...

I picked up a throttle cable linkage I thought I could make work. It's an off the shelf part for GM's... I just modified it to work with my stock throttle cable.

Finished Assembly

Here are a couple of shots of it on the carb, it seems to work fine but the stock cable doesn't have enough travel to achieve actual WOT. Not sure how to fix that really... even with an aftermarket cable I'm not sure I have enough travel at the pedal. It does travel enough that the secondaries open though and it runs great so I probably won't even mess with it. It's a 600 cfm Edlebrock Performer with elec. choke and vaccuum secondaries. I added the spring loaded seats and lowered the float level... so far so good, but there are a couple of places I wan't to try with it first to see if I have any stalling problems before I sign off on it's reliability. It sure is purdy though... so shinny and clean, not real sure what it's even doing on my motor?

PCV system hook up was easy... I ran the line from the pcv valve to the vaccum connection for it on the front of the carb. The vent hose on the front of the valve cover is just hanging out there right now but I have the fitting to hook it to the bottom of the breather... I just haven't connected it yet.

I also did the duraspark II swap when I swapped everything else out, I haven't had any timing advance since the original feedback carb crapped out on me. It was an easy swap on my 85... plugs were already there I just disconnected the dizzy and module that were there and plugged in the DS-II unit and ran a hose from the carb down to the advance. Took all of 15 mins. I think.

Last edited by Johnboy_BoomerSooner; 03-05-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
........ ...........

Old 03-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice lay out. This will prove very helpful to us newbies out here. Jag

Old 03-06-2007, 11:08 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Pretty durn cool....might wanna try drilling another hole in the throttle arm closer to the shaft to solve your WOT issue, if you choose to fix it in the future.

Pat

Old 03-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Originally Posted by PatsPOS
Pretty durn cool....might wanna try drilling another hole in the throttle arm closer to the shaft to solve your WOT issue, if you choose to fix it in the future.

Pat
You know I hadn't even thought of that... but that would be an easy fix. Thanks PatsPOS, I had really just been over thinking it... lol I kinda feel dumb for missing something that simple.

I think the part I like about this setup the most is how much it de-cluttered the engine. All the wires running between the feedback carb and the dizzy are gone now, about half a dozen plugs and wires that went to the smog stuff is all gone. No EGR, heck I don't even need the vaccuum tree anymore, it's all plugged off. I'll probably remove it and just plug the hole.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Hey, no problem...even I come up with a simple solution every once in a while. I'm usually guilty of overengineering things myself, so it's a good thing I have my brother to keep me down to earth.

Kinda jealous that you're able to lose your smog equipment. We got emissions testing in the county I live in two years ago (just gotta pass a visual inspection...the stuff doesn't actually have to WORK!), right after I made a small y-pipe to replace my front cat after it broke.

Pat

Old 03-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Originally Posted by PatsPOS
Hey, no problem...even I come up with a simple solution every once in a while. I'm usually guilty of overengineering things myself, so it's a good thing I have my brother to keep me down to earth.

Kinda jealous that you're able to lose your smog equipment. We got emissions testing in the county I live in two years ago (just gotta pass a visual inspection...the stuff doesn't actually have to WORK!), right after I made a small y-pipe to replace my front cat after it broke.

Pat
I couldn't tag this rig when we lived in Texas because of that. It wouldn't even pass a visual inspection. I couldn't imagine trying to find all that stuff and put it back on here now... that would be a nightmare.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:39 PM
thunderb
Senior User
Get yourself a $6 breather filter for that open vent hose on your valvecover. I used a Spectre breather from Autozone. My factory breather was integrated into my oil fill cap.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
bravo2
New User
Whats a WOT?

Old 03-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Motorhead351
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bravo2
Whats a WOT?
Wide Open Throttle

Johnboy_BoomerSooner

You talked about how it looks perty, how's she run?

Old 03-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Kalashtar
Junior User
Thanks for that write up.
I just saved it.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 AM
acelogik
New User
thanks a lot for the sequential pics.. sick

now the question of the smog equipment... what happens to all of the vac lines? Do you just need the brakes/distributor/pcv after the swap. looks good though. much props

Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 PM
redneckmechanix
New User
Exclamation I neeeeD!!! help

i just rebuilt my straight 6 and i went to A HOLLY 700 cfm 2 baRREL street dominator and i cant afford new headers for it do u know where i can find a set of used ones for it??

Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
acelogik - I'm not required to run smog equip on that vehicle here in OK, so it was a non-issue. The only vac lines I kept was the brake booster, vac advance, and PCV valve, all of which run off the carb. I just plugged off the holes in the intake where the vac tree screwed in. Most of the misc. vac system and wiring left when I dumped the stock manifold and carb and when I did the DS2 swap. There's not much left now, just what is necessary.

redneckmechanix - That's a whole lot of carb for the six... when you re-built did you open it up to handle that kind of cfm... atleast a mild port on the head? I had to do some work on mine just to get it to handle the 600 cfm I have. I added an excel higher voltage coil, gapped out the plugs a bit more, and bumped the timing to about 12* btdc. Otherwise it black smoked bad under load. It seems to run good now, but if I had it to do again I would have used a little smaller carb. The cheapest route on your headers would be to use stock headers off of a late model EFI 4.9L. They're a split manifold config so you can run dual exhaust right from the motor. They don't flow like the long tube headers I have, but they're not too bad really. Great thing is they use stock manifold gaskets and you can pick them up at most salvage yards fairly cheap.

Last edited by Johnboy_BoomerSooner; 04-04-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:06 PM
acelogik
New User
nice. i appreciate the answer, and it will come in handy (still up in the air about a 4.9 vs. 5.8) if i use the 300. I live in NJ, and they suck about emmisions, but i got ways around that.

thanks a lot