Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2007, 12:11 PM
New User

guanabeachhouse is starting off with a positive reputation.
4 wheel drive quit

Hello all!
My 1998 V8 5.6l F150 4 wheel drive will not engage. I move the switch and hear a and electronic click like it is engaging but no go. It was working fine and after sitting in the driveway it stopped, in other words no grinding or trama to it. When I put it in low 4, the transmissions shifts into low but no 4 wheel drive. Where do I start with this one?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Posting Guru

BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.
You probably have a cracked ruber vacum hose that goes to the front diff. Your Transfer case sounds like its engaging low range and 4x4 but the front axle isnt. I would start there. Some others on here will probably have some good ideas on how to track down the leak
Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
New User

Thanks for the reply

I did replace the starter recently. Is there a vacume hose by the starter I could have puctured or removed?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Posting Guru

BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.
Im not sure where they route the vacume lines but it would be in that general vacinity i would a assume because i heard of a guy haveing his battery leak and the acid dripping ate his vacume lines.... but im not sure exactly where they come from.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Senior User

bigredneck47240 is starting off with a positive reputation.
that sounds like your problem a leaking vaccum hose it happened to me to
Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Junior User

Galveston Yankee is starting off with a positive reputation.
If it's the same setup as the '02, you have vacuum control connections on the firewall on the right hand side behind the battery. I had to replace two vacuum hose harnesses. One that runs up from the transfer case to the control and one from the control to another set of hoses under the battery. Also had to replace one control unit (i don't know what it's really called).

Parts cost about $145 through the stealership. You could get hoses and run it all piecing it out. I found it easier to replace the whole harness.

It's only a two beer job if you take your time.

GY

If you send me your email address in a PM, I'll take a couple of pics and show you what I had to replace.

Last edited by Galveston Yankee; 03-17-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Freshman User

gavinhaslam is starting off with a positive reputation.
What's the definitive way to test if the 4x4 functionality is working on these babies? Jack them up at all corners ? Rolling ROad?

I have the same scenario as yours I think but I'm not entirely sure whether 4WD is working or not...

Thanks
Gav.

Expy 5.4L XLT 4x4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanabeachhouse
Hello all!
My 1998 V8 5.6l F150 4 wheel drive will not engage. I move the switch and hear a and electronic click like it is engaging but no go. It was working fine and after sitting in the driveway it stopped, in other words no grinding or trama to it. When I put it in low 4, the transmissions shifts into low but no 4 wheel drive. Where do I start with this one?
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:25 PM
New User

98f1504x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have a 98 f150 and it is doing the exact same thing. if u got yours working would u mind telling me what you did to get urs working if u did get it working
Old 06-10-2007, 05:05 PM
New User

No Go

I still do not have a solution. I will have to take it tothe dealer and have them go through and diagnose the problem
Old 06-10-2007, 05:27 PM
New User

nobow is starting off with a positive reputation.
try looking at the ground switch on the transfer case.. I had to change mine looks like a oil pressure switch, I beleive it has one red wire going to it they go bad quite often. they are about 25-35 dollars
Old 06-11-2007, 08:14 AM
New User

4wd

I will try that...
I just want to verify symptoms, All seems to work, it will switch the transmission into low, 4wd light goes on just no 4wd. I will check to see if i have to wire connected. thanks
Old 06-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Elder User

tim.moman is starting off with a positive reputation.
You can do some verification with a driveway test with the right front off the ground.
place in 4wd. leave in park. You must start the truck to activate the vacuum.

Turn the driveshaft by hand.
Front driveshaft will not turn(engaged). TCase is working.

Turn the r-front tire by hand. if the driveshaft turns then the tcase is not engaging. If the driveshaft does not then the vacuum is not engauging the couple of the r-front to the diff.

Pull the hoses from the vacuum pot on the front axle. Then and have someone start the truck and switch from 2wd to 4wd while you listen and feel for the vacuum to change from one line to the other. If there is vacuum then look for the actuator to move when hooked back up.

A control issue like nobow mentioned might disable any of this from happening. but hopefully it will help from a mechanical view.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Junior User

burninfordrubber is starting off with a positive reputation.
Vac Sylenoid, you should have two of them one is for enguage and one is for disenguage located behinde battery on fire wall try checking those out...
Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM
New User

broncobilly1989 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 99 LD F250 had the same problem. I found out after I sheered a ball joint trying to power my way up a hill in "4 wheel drive". I was in 2, cause I had a dry rotted vacuum line. The hard plastic lines crack on you, as the trucks are now 8 or 9 years old. Take the battery out, remove the battery tray. You will see a black box that attaches to the battery tray with vacuum lines coming out of it. Trace those lines and you will find all of the vacuum hoses you need to look at to fix your problem. After sheering my balljoint, I replace those, as well as all of the front suspension(didn't want it to happen again) and then I had to have my fender, hood and door fixed as the tire pushed the body where it didn't belong.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
drive, f150, ford, hear, quit, wheel