1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Oops! Overfilled transmission fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:06 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i didnt get it in my mouth......... but it did take forever to get a quart and a half out

Matt

Old 10-11-2007, 06:45 PM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
if you got enough line...you could go down the tube, then over the side of the truck to a jug on the ground and siphone it out like when I clean my fishtanks!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 PM
mediaman67
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, or even just in a used oil quart bottle, unless you are draining more than that...

my little pump came with a clear little bottle, since it's designed for brake bleeding, and what you do it fill it up like 1/2 way, and pump all the air out of each side of the line, and then it's all fluid on both ends of the pump...

One thing I wanted to ask anyone - what can I use after I'm done pumping - I don't want to leave the tranny fluid inside the pump, etc - I want it clean for next use, esp if it's for brakes - don't want to mix tranny fluid and brake fluid :-)

I guess soapy water is not good enough? must be a good solvent that they make...

Old 10-11-2007, 10:42 PM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer pumps are available at your local auto parts. They are orange in color with black caps. Plenty of hose comes with them. They are around 6 bucks and are handy for everything. jd

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If only it was that simple with a manual box, ya know? I could have saved a lot of trouble if my Ranger had a dipstick.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:05 PM
AlbeeGood
New User
Originally Posted by phroman
Well, I went to change the transmission fluid and filter on my 98 ranger with a 3.0 L. I started added new fluid and found out I had overfilled it when I looked underneath and saw transmission fluid coming out of a pressure release (I guess) on top of the transmission. My question is, should I pull the pan and drain the excess and do I need a new pan gasket if I do that.

I was going by the manual spec of 9.5 quarts when the refill amount was 3 quarts. I got to 5 quarts when it started leaking.

Thanks for your help,
Mike
i thank you for this info. Now that I come and think of it I too put the complete fluid capacity instead of the refill amount . Since my tranny tuneup I've noticed some slipping & when checking the level it be high & sometimes normal. I will now on the first warm day drain out some fluid.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:10 PM
AlbeeGood
New User
Originally Posted by fflintstone
When the guys at the lube shop replace the tranny oil on my truck, they do a purge to flush new fluid into the converter. A hard thing to do by yourself. That's why you used less. The rest is in the converter. I've overfilled it myself before and just disconnected the tranny line at the radiator to bleed some off, but I was only over the line by 3/4 inch.
I have to thank you for an easier way of removing fluid thru the radiator line. I never thought of that, and I've been working on cars/trucks for quite some time. I guess it's true... an old dog can / does learn new tricks

Old 02-13-2017, 03:23 PM
AlbeeGood
New User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
That'll work, in fact almost any hand pump will work, if the tubing is long enough.

The window spray pumps don't dispense much per pump, so they take a long time to remove any quantity.

As I posted above I once rigged an old discraded liquid soap had pump & a piece of tubing about a foot longer than the dipstick & smaller in diameter than the dipstick is wide & pumped away!!!! Never have had it hang up going down, or being removed.

A outboard engine lower unit had pump, used to pump the lube in, would make it go faster, as the pump is larger.

Good to hear the tranny likes the new fluid.
I tried using an axel gear oil pump And bought a roll of the same tubing from Home Depot (they didn't sell it by the foot &#128542 And tried slipping it down the fluid tube but couldn't/didn't get no fluid out. Freaking pump wasn't pumping and it was freaking cold out.
Ive been driving it now overfilled for quite some time (not knowing it could be from overfilling it) and Ive noticed now & then slipping. Tomorrow regardless how cold it is I will remove the extra fluid. My question is , is my tranny now bad or is there a chance it will go back to normal??
Ps. The best thing I liked about my truck when I bought it was how quick & easy the tranny shift.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:17 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
With the fluid cold, get the level right first, say at or slightly below the dipstick crosshatch, or whatever the low mark is, then drive it until it's Fully warmed up & expanded, so to get an accurate measurement, say a 10 mile & out & back drive, park level, shift into All gears including "R", ending in "P" & with the engine & tranny fluid at warm idle, pull the dipstick check the fluid again while it's at operating temp. If it's still over filled, pump a little out until it's right. Review post #5 here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ml#post4487545
If a little low, add a little, like half a pint or less at a time to bring it up.

Over filling can cause aeration of the fluid & the tranny pump & actuators won't like working with aerated fluid, as it can compress & cause all kinds of mischief, like clutches to slip & that's hard on linings & it won't carry away heat like it's supposed to, so things can run hotter than designed for & aerated fluid being compressible, doesn't wear protect very well & on & on it goes.

No way to tell what, if any thing might have happened with you driving it over filled for some time has done. Get the fluid level right without further delay, hope for the best & let us know how it goes.