1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48-52 Brake M/C Upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
48-52 Brake M/C Upgrade question

I have figured to upgrade to the early Mustang/Falcon/Comet dual master cylinder on my '52. (I don't intend to put a PB booster on it) I've run across kits to do this conversion on the 'net and they are showing a bunch of brackets and such to accomplish the conversion.

I can't see that anything but a flat plate is required to go from the 3-bolt stock M/C bolt patter to the 2-bolt Mustang M/C . The diameter of the "hub" on the '52 M/C appears to be much bigger, so I would probably put a smaller diameter bore in the adapter to keep the Mustang M/C centered. May have to drill some new holes to attach the adapter to the crossmember. The actuating rod is adjustable and looks like it will reach and stroke OK, at the worst I would have to get a longer rod.

Am I missing something here?? Anyone done it the home-made way?

Old 03-03-2007, 09:44 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake upgrade

A friend did this several years ago into a early car. We checked to make sure we made the plate thick enough to prevent movement under heavy/emergency pressure braking.Try to mount the mc level with the vehicle. Check your rod is the same as mustang rod diameter, there is a rubber boot on mc that the rod goes through to prevent brake fluid leakage. Look at your rod end tip going into mustang mc is same as the mustang rod for long term wear. Don't forget either an original or after market (adjustable), proportionating valve is required to make the front brake more than the rear. This may not be the same but these are things to consider. Have a great day, chuck

Old 03-03-2007, 10:21 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Good tip, I hadn't thought about the rod end shape and diameter. I won't need a proportioning valve since I am staying drum/drum.