New issue after motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 03:26 AM
69deville
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New issue after motor replacement

Several of you will remember giving advice to my problem after I lost my motor to hydrolock. I picked it up, stopped to put in a few gallons of gas and on my first trip to work that night it had a misfire in #1 right after it hesitated while accelerating. I noticed this "stumble" would happen anytime I gave it any gas (not punching it) and was under 2000 rpm. I went to fill it up last night, and the problem went away the minute I left the gas station. It ran fine all the way home this morning (I work nights) so I first thought I may have not placed the cap on tight the day I got it back. I started off to work today when it came back after a few miles so now I have no clue. The only other thing (besides the possibility of a loose cap) that was different from it running good to not was the temperature outside. I'm in San Antonio, so it's 80 during the day and 40 at night this time of year. It was warm when I first got the problem but cool when I filled it up i.e. problem went away, and warm again when it came back today. Is there anything that would make it stumble like that when it's warm, but not when it's cold outside? Oh by the way, I did take it back to where the work was done in between these two gas adding days and they said to try injector cleaner? HELP!!!

Old 03-05-2007, 08:01 PM
69deville
New User
Well didn't get a lot of replies to this one, but that's OK. I pulled the new spark plugs which were installed during the motor change, and found them all gapped wrong. Should have been "54" but they were all "45". Guess the person installing them was numerically dyslexic!!! Runninf fine now (knocking on the top of my head) so hopefully that was all that was wrong with it...

Old 03-06-2007, 06:33 AM
bokker
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi,pleased you got a good result and all is well. i would be very disapointed with the responce from your engine builder about injector cleaner.
this is an exellent forum it has helped me over the bad times so please do not be put off, some times it is very difficult to offer any sound advice. good luck bokker.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 PM
69deville
New User
Thank Bokker. If it wasn't for this site I neevr would have known where to begin in teh first place so I am in no way put off. I appreciate every reply I have gotten, and will be spending a lot more time here. Hopefully I will be the one offering advice instead of having to ask for it!!!

Dale

Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 PM
krane operator
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my 98 work truck engine also replaced when i had the similar things happen, but mine was also throwing alot of codes. Took it in to a friend of mine who has his shop ( engine was replaced at another shop) and the first thing he asked was if the engine had been replaced, becouse apparently alot of these trucks with the engine replaced have a cable loom that does not get put back on the bracket due to it being a tight place and will fall and hit the exhaust and get real hot and cause the truck to not run right. Shure enough he reached behind the engine and pulled on that wire loom and yes it was already starting to melt all the wire insulation. There is a big shop in Houston Tx he said, that this is happing to all the trucks they work on. Thats where i had taken mine.