1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Going BBF 53' trucking

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Robert53
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going BBF 53' trucking

Hi Ford brethren, I am new to this site and impressed with the non-flaming comfortable atmosphere in the post I have read. I am a horsepower freak from the 460ford.com site. I just purchased a 1953 Ford truck for a new project. Sweet truck era, this truck needs work and has created an irresistible desire to replace the flat head engine, 3-speed w/overdrive, and the Dana 44. This Truck screams, give me a 557" and four speed and 4-link 9". I’m considering a cross member from "Mid Fifty’s" for a 429/460 power plant. This setup, according to Mid Fifty’s site requires 4-quart car oil pan. Does anyone know of a bigger pan that will fit this application? This will be a dropped straight axle front suspension with rack and pinion steering. Also does anyone know of an off the shelf 2 1/8" BBF header for this truck?

Thanks for any help.

Robert

Old 03-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,346 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Welcome, nice to have you on board.
I can`t help with your questions but someone who has done this and can help will be by shortly.
Sounds like you have a dandy truck, the 1953 Ford F100 is one of my favorites and you have some mighty fine plans for it.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited by Fomoko1; 03-03-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:22 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert53
Hi Ford brethren, I am new to this site and impressed with the non-flaming comfortable atmosphere in the post I have read. I am a horsepower freak from the 460ford.com site. I just purchased a 1953 Ford truck for a new project. Sweet truck era, this truck needs work and has created an irresistible desire to replace the flat head engine, 3-speed w/overdrive, and the Dana 44. This Truck screams, give me a 557" and four speed and 4-link 9". I’m considering a cross member from "Mid Fifty’s" for a 429/460 power plant. This setup, according to Mid Fifty’s site requires 4-quart car oil pan. Does anyone know of a bigger pan that will fit this application? This will be a dropped straight axle front suspension with rack and pinion steering. Also does anyone know of an off the shelf 2 1/8" BBF header for this truck?

Thanks for any help.

Robert
Welcome to FTE. Nice bunch of guys here.

I'd love to buy your old drive train but you're too far away (Texas). I'd use the engine in a Model A.

I would assume that Mid Fifties knows what they're talking about. That's one reason why they're there; to give you the best information. Obviously, you could have a pan welded.

BTW, safe to assume that you'll be boxing the frame?