Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

alternative gages for the shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Twohands
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up alternative gages for the shop

knowing how the OEM gages tend to be less than reliable, i often feel a need to check readings against what i see on the dash gages (not to mention clusters with no gages) and i wonder if anyone has had a favourite setup or how-to in such a situation... ?? with all the digital mumbo-jumbo available i have envisioned a 'multi-meter' to make readings available for the most common of gages, i.e. fuel gage-water temp-oil press-alternator

anyone care to comment?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:46 PM
acheda
Elder User
I mount an old SW oil pressure gage directly in place of the "idiot" light sender during assembly and initial running. (During assembly I crank up the oil pressure with the distributor out. This primes the pump, distributes oil about the galleries, and does an initial test on the ability of the oil system to make & hold pressure.) During initial start-up I can keep an eye on the engine compartment for leaks & such and watch the oil pressure without running around so much. Once things are settled in, I swap back to the sender.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I have an assortment of pressure gages I have accumulated over the years. I also have an extensive junk box filled with fittings and short hoses that is useful for testing. Other than that I have several multimeters, a battery tester that I can use to load test an alternator, and an O-scope to really look at signals.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Panzerbrumbar
Senior User
My Edge Evolution in my 04 F150 does that. Plus it makes it go faster and records certain parameters. It was worth the 340 dollars just to see what my drivetrain was actually doing.